Engine noise

gerpeters

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI and 2003 Jetta TDI
I have own my 2009 Jetta a few months now. I'm not a 100 percent sure but I think I'm hearing a noise from the engine when it is cold. Similar like the olden days engine when you had a noisy valve lifter.

Is there anything on the 2009 TDI Jetta engines that I should have checked out? It has 170,000km

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
So you've never experienced the engine in the cold? It is probably normal. All engines, ESPECIALLY diesels, make more noise in the cold during warmup. Since the CR engine is otherwise so quiet, those extra diesel noises may seem more pronounced than what you have experienced on the older ones. Your car may be perfectly normal.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I agree. Both of mine make much more "diesel" noises when cold... I kinda like it... Reminds me it is a diesel :) I would describe the noises just as you did. Kinda like a lifter tapping but only at lower RPM and boost... As rpm and boost increase, the noise goes away...

gerpeters

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI and 2003 Jetta TDI
I've been driving a diesels for for a very long time and yes I have lots of experience with diesel engine noise.
I'm asking because I think I'm hearing a unique sound that does not seem to be because of it being a diesel

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
gerpeters: Both my CR TDIs occasionally have a "tap...tap...tap..." sound at start-up, like a bad lifter. Yes, in the cold it's a little worse. I believe it's normal, as others have posted the same thing.
Need more details, or an audio clip of the sound.