Engine making knocking noise after driven with no oil

acwe38

TDI
Knocked a hole in the oil pan. All oil leaked out. Car is driven for a minute without oil until it stops. Fixed hole in oil pan. Put new gasket on refilled with oil. Now engine is making a knocking noise. How to fix?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
OK, take it out and take it apart. Add up all the labor and machining costs, as well as the parts costs, assuming it can be rebuilt. After you do all that, compare it to a whole used engine, let us know what you find.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Knocked a hole in the oil pan. All oil leaked out. Car is driven for a minute without oil until it stops. Fixed hole in oil pan. Put new gasket on refilled with oil. Now engine is making a knocking noise. How to fix?

This happened to my daughter when she had the beetle. The oil loss destroyed her turbo, fortunately I had a spare, I thought the engine might be fine since there was no unusual noises. About 5k miles later she dropped a valve, now I can tell you that makes some serious noise.

I found a used engine for $400, it’s been running great since. As oilhammer said replace the engine.

gmann49ers

TDI
2013 Jetta
Were you driving when it happened? If so insurance might help cover the cost if you have full coverage.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Honestly, replace the engine. Its going to be less costly and easier. Usually used engines come with alot of the parts already depending on where you get it from. But most likely your turbo is cooked as well with running with no oil. Save yourself the headache and do it right/easier the first time. NEVER drive it without oil again.