Egr blowing oil out the weep hole

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
I clean it off sometimes but every time I drive I get a new mess of oil. I've added like 1/4 cup of oil, if that, after 4000km. It's seeping a bit of oil out the drain plug bit either way 1/4 cup for 4000km seems ok.

I have a parts car but the area around the egr also seems to leak from somewhere and gunked up with oil but it hasn't ran for months and it's all dried now. I've searched but it's hard to search for a 3 letter search term. I pull the ccv thing out and it seems oily. Is this normal? I had the intercooler piping off and there wasn't any excessive oil in there. Any other ideas for what I can check or do to fix this? And in your experience what's the worst thats going to happen if I simply ignore this? I pop the hood and check the oil every day

Should I even care about it? I'm done replacing parts that I need to pay for. Otherwise the car runs perfectly. The odd time it will go into limp mode. Noticed once while accelerating hard down a hill (something I don't do a lot). And another time just randomly did it.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
If it's annoying, replace the EGR valve. If it's not, leave it alone. Simple as that.
It's not uncommon for the weep hole to leak on aged engines. It's not going to hurt anything weeping. Just makes a mess.

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
If it's annoying, replace the EGR valve. If it's not, leave it alone. Simple as that.
It's not uncommon for the weep hole to leak on aged engines. It's not going to hurt anything weeping. Just makes a mess.
OK nice thanks. I'll continue to keep an eye on it.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
I cleaned it inside and out and it just leaked again. got a new one and no more leaking. its nice not to have a leak so you can see where a new one starts

Bengoshi2000

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf (0M1)
I went through this on mine. Two cheapo Amazon EGR valves stopped the problem for maybe 7,000 miles. Put a quality Pierburg EGR on and haven't had a leak since.

mk116v

TDI
2001 jetta tdi
I went through this on mine. Two cheapo Amazon EGR valves stopped the problem for maybe 7,000 miles. Put a quality Pierburg EGR on and haven't had a leak since.
Mine started to leak only a few weeks after installing it. Only a few drips or so every couple 1000 miles. Either way, I feel it shouldn't leak at all.

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
Mine started to leak only a few weeks after installing it. Only a few drips or so every couple 1000 miles. Either way, I feel it shouldn't leak at all.
Sometimes mine doesn't leak at all. Weird. Wish I knew what caused it to leak. I think it might be something else that is causing it to leak. Sure l, replacing the egr would fix the problem, but maybe there's something else too

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The o ring on the diaphragm rod wears out. The oil is actually oil from the crankcase breather making its way through the intake tract.

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
The o ring on the diaphragm rod wears out. The oil is actually oil from the crankcase breather making its way through the intake tract.
I figured so yea. It's normal for the oil to be in there but the bad oring is allowing it to seep out? Is this oring serviceable? Maybe I can take a spare egr valve apart and see how it works but I think I've read it isn't able to be changed

Last edited:

2002_auto_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
03 5spd wagon and 02 01m sedan
Maybe coincidence but my turbo went out right around the time I noticed the same thing happen to my EGR valve.

Tirefriar

TDI
there is a lot of talk about EGR removal on FB TDI forums. ASAIK it deleting EGR will not affect mileage and in my research it appears there are only positives to deleting the EGR such as cleaner intake, etc. I am considering deleting it, are there any drawbacks I should be aware of?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So here's the scoop on the EGR.
It used to be horrible at causing gunked up intake tracts.
It's not so bad now that we've switched to Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) so I would leave it. You also have the ASV that can help protect against runaways if you leave it.
Typically, the EGR only operates when at cruising speeds or idle. Under power demand, it's closed so you won't experience power loss. So the 'benifits' are all faux for removing it.

As for servicing the o ring, the whole assembly is crimped together, so you'll have to replace it as a unit.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I just did the TB on my car and took a peek inside my EGR and while it has oil on it there doesn't appear to be any real build up. That's about 100k miles since replacing the EGR (I cleaned the intake around that same time as well): car's performance is great, so no coking up happening. Having the ASV is a good thing.

Can't recall whether it was on my car or my wife's first one, but one of them was leaking a bunch of oil due to a bad seal/o-ring between the EGR and intake. Wanting to say someone messed up the seal, that it was distorted.

BamaB4S

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
I clean it off sometimes but every time I drive I get a new mess of oil. I've added like 1/4 cup of oil, if that, after 4000km. It's seeping a bit of oil out the drain plug bit either way 1/4 cup for 4000km seems ok.

I have a parts car but the area around the egr also seems to leak from somewhere and gunked up with oil but it hasn't ran for months and it's all dried now. I've searched but it's hard to search for a 3 letter search term. I pull the ccv thing out and it seems oily. Is this normal? I had the intercooler piping off and there wasn't any excessive oil in there. Any other ideas for what I can check or do to fix this? And in your experience what's the worst thats going to happen if I simply ignore this? I pop the hood and check the oil every day

Should I even care about it? I'm done replacing parts that I need to pay for. Otherwise the car runs perfectly. The odd time it will go into limp mode. Noticed once while accelerating hard down a hill (something I don't do a lot). And another time just randomly did it.
Another EGR weep hole thread:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Just replace it. I did so on my daughters bug and her engine has been fairly clean for the last 50k miles.

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
Just replace it. I did so on my daughters bug and her engine has been fairly clean for the last 50k miles.

I appreciate your reply, but adding oil for the rest of the car's life is much cheaper. I'm done throwing money at replacement parts especially optional ones

2002_auto_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
03 5spd wagon and 02 01m sedan
Is there a fire risk by leaving it in place and weeping like that? Asking, because I simply don't know.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Anything is possible, but I'd lean towards unlikely. Mine leaked for two years before I finally changed mine.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
If you want to contain where the oil goes, you can use a deep well socket to drive a short piece of 1/8" copper tube into the hole and then run a hose to a catch bottle.
Just keep in mind that there is a matching hole on the back side of the EGR valve (at least there was on mine) and you'll have to either plug it or run another hose from there as well.

I eventually replaced the EGR/ASV assembly on my car, but the pipe and hose trick got me a good few thousand miles with less mess on the engine before I did.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I did the egr cooler delete on mine. I left the egr valve in for the asv function .
I then pulled the egr valve off and did the stealth mod , Basically your just removing the guts of the valve.
I then sealed up the holes that were starting to weep on the valve with RTV , now no more leaks 😉.

mk116v

TDI
2001 jetta tdi
I just installed a pd150 intake manifold and EGR. The used EGR I received is a factory unit (has a vw logo), and it was gunked up inside, but showed no signs of weeping oil on the outside. I cleaned it up, and it has leaked any oil at all in 800 miles since I've had it. My alh one, that's barely 2 years old, leaked pretty much as soon as I installed it. It only would take a day or two to see a little black oil dribbling out of the weep hole. It makes wonder why the one tends to always leak and not the other.

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
I just installed a pd150 intake manifold and EGR. The used EGR I received is a factory unit (has a vw logo), and it was gunked up inside, but showed no signs of weeping oil on the outside. I cleaned it up, and it has leaked any oil at all in 800 miles since I've had it. My alh one, that's barely 2 years old, leaked pretty much as soon as I installed it. It only would take a day or two to see a little black oil dribbling out of the weep hole. It makes wonder why the one tends to always leak and not the other.
I don't really get it. Mine sometimes doesn't leak for a few days. Maybe if I drive it hard and burn off oil in the intercooler pipes it won't leak so bad? I have no idea haha