ECU monitors alternator load

mickyTDI

Veteran Member
Going through the measuring blocks on vagcom today i noticed a block that measures alternator load. Anyone know why the ECU needs to monitor this? :confused:

Sooch

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf
Just guessing here from my gasser tuning days. In order to keep a steady idle, at all engine loads, the ECU needs to monitor the alternator to sense when seat heaters, rear defroster, AC or even just the cooling fan come on. The ECU will add more fuel to compensate for the higher load and keep idle at 903 or whatever it's set at.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
...Smooth Idle Control... (I think thats the term they use)

Newer cars will actual shed loads in certain situations to protect the elctrical system or to save the battery to insure a start (yes with the car off even then the ECU is still watching).

DB

mickyTDI

Veteran Member
Sooch said:
Just guessing here from my gasser tuning days. In order to keep a steady idle, at all engine loads, the ECU needs to monitor the alternator to sense when seat heaters, rear defroster, AC or even just the cooling fan come on. The ECU will add more fuel to compensate for the higher load and keep idle at 903 or whatever it's set at.
That's what i initially thought but isn't there an engine speed sensor that monitors the rpm.