early fuel filter vs later fuel filter

studebaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta pk 1
Our 2006 Jetta is a late build but has the earlier style fuel filter. The number system is further confusing as the PU936/1x is the later filter # vs PU936/2x as the early style filter. Seems backwards!
How hard is it to put the later style housing in place of the early filter housing? Just unbolt and bolt the later on?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
IDK for sure but I think it would be easy. If you just make sure you buy the correct filter, the problem is solved.

My A6 has a manufacturing date of 6/06 and has the later 1 hole filter. What month was your car manufactured?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
They switched back and forth. Then back again. I gave up trying to keep track, we just keep both on the shelf. :cool:

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
I think the 'early' one is better. It has got a vent screw and as far as I understand it has more filtering area; I mean the filter itself is slightly bigger. If I had the late one in my car I would lurk at salvage yards for the canister with the vent/bleed screw and replace it.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
It might be. But with more filtering surface at the same change interval you just can't hurt anything, I guess.

iCharlie

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI -Alaska Green- (sold) 2005.5 Jetta TDI BRM
Just find out which one you have and then use it. Its pretty simple to find which one you have. Vw even still switches back and forth on the new CR TDI models if I read correctly.

The "Late Filter" housing looks like this

The "Early Filter" housing looks like this

See which housing you have and then go buy a filter lol.