DSG hesitation

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
checked some posts nothing addressed what happened yesterday...driving back from Kemah on I45 back to Sugar Land, the car had been running at 50mph for 40 minutes, traffic was slow, I decided to pull off the road onto the shoulder to get a drink from the back, 13 sportwagen 11K miles,DSG, I waited to get back on the road, detected an opening I could normally merge into, I accelerated slowly the car moved into the lane and quit? Transmission just disengaged? now I have a car heading for my door I gave her a little more pedal and about 2 to 3 seconds later the transmission engaged? scared the sh*t out of me...is this car just another POS like the 13 Passat I owned for a short time or is there a problem with the DSG software? or do I have to floor it every time I want to move? what's the secret

Audi Juice

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Its pretty dangerous when you see an opening and decide to go for it, then realize 2 seconds has gone by, then your car decides to go. The Sprint Booster completely solved that problem. Many try an talk trash on it with technical terms and examples, but it really does make a noticeable difference on these cars. Ive used it on 2 DSG's and my buddy had one on his S550, and we all swear by it. End of story

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
That does not sound anything at all like the usual 'dsg hesitation' that people post about.

Time for a trip to the dealer... I would not try the gizmo mentioned in the previous post.

Bill

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
spoke to dealers head mech, first time he has heard of this sort of problem, don't believe they will be of much help, will keep driving and see if it repeats

dadster

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta SportWagen
I have not experienced quite the severity of the hesitation you note. I have found that if max accel is needed it really helps to select sport mode. Much better response through the gears for faster accel.

Wife observed the difference and now leaves it in sport when she drives the car!

Humanaquarian

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
This^^^
Annnnd then, even then, every now and then there is a stutter whilst accelerating... Such is life with a tranny with more tech than the Space shuttle.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
This^^^
Annnnd then, even then, every now and then there is a stutter whilst accelerating... Such is life with a tranny with more tech than the Space shuttle.
the VW line of cars are so complicated I believe they don't even understand them, they never are able to recreate my problem at the dealer, I believe they would like us to buy the car and just disappear, if it hesitates so dramatically again a very large lemon will be installed on its roof

Dragoncoach

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 MkV Jetta TDI/ '11 MKVI JSW TDI
the VW line of cars are so complicated I believe they don't even understand them, they never are able to recreate my problem at the dealer, I believe they would like us to buy the car and just disappear, if it hesitates so dramatically again a very large lemon will be installed on its roof
And yet, people, us included, still buy them....

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/vw-dsg-direct-shift-gear-transmission-and-audi-stronic-faq/

I'm sure you've read the above. Pay particular attention to the DSG NHTSA part. Reading your first post it sounds like the engine just quit. But then you say the tranny dis-engaged. There is a normal hesitation with these DSG's of maybe 1-2 seconds from the time you take your foot off the brake and it starts to roll with no go pedal input. Any more than a few seconds isn't normal. My wife's 2011 Golf TDI with the DSG had these false neutrals as the VW dealership called it. An update to the software in the tranny ECU fixed it. Not sure if this is available for your model year.

Last edited:

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
Are you sure you didn't have it in manual shift and it not down shift for you?
Car was parked and running on the shoulder, got back in the car found an opening in traffic accelerated into the right lane, car moved about 10 feet and stopped, engine continued to run but the tranny disengaged until I input half throttle, but 2 to3 seconds had already past. So I was dead in the right lane with a car headed for me, shifter was in D. Transmission always seems to hesitate from a stop but I never expected this.

DRbillZ

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, Jetta, one totaled Passat....RIP.
Did you tap the brake or ride the brake? Our older TDI would temp cut the throttle out when you did this. I haven't tried it on my new one because I got out of the habit of doing that. Dangerous set up if you asked me!

Last edited:

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you two the brake or ride the brake? Our older TDI would temp cut the throttle out when you did this. I haven't tried it on my new one because I got out of the habit of doing that. Dangerous set up if you asked me!

no emergency brake or foot on the brake spotted an opening accelerated car moved like I said 10 feet and just stopped, like I was in neutral, gave it a little more pedal, in the situation I was in with a car bearing down on me it seemed like eternity but most likely 2 to 3 seconds lapsed till she caught. I notice there is always a hesitation from a stop but never expected this...I will check fluid level and pull the filter and see if anything looks wrong...nothing more I can do? I'll check out the Sprint Booster gizzmo

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
exactly what happened, but from a stand still, car accelerated 10 feet then went into neutral, she went back into gear when I gave it more throttle
Looks like you're getting a false neutral. As I said in my other reply. The VW dealership did a software tweak on my wife's 2011 Golf TDI that fixed it. As yours is a 2013 I would have thought that VW would've fixed that glitch. With hers, she'd be at a light and when she got the green it would just rev and not move while in drive. Horns honking behind her and the wife flipping them the bird. In her old age she's getting kind of cantankerous. Now the poster of the vid says VWoA replaced the Mechatronics computer. So that might be your fix and not a software update like the wife's fix.
And I agree with Oilhammer. Yota's are good.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=324051&highlight=Mechatronic+problem

I found the above with a search. Many links in the above to other possible causes/solutions.

Last edited:

rcnaylor

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportswagen Silver
That does not sound anything at all like the usual 'dsg hesitation' that people post about.

Time for a trip to the dealer... I would not try the gizmo mentioned in the previous post.

Bill
Its exactly like what I tried to get fixed for 2 years before I sold my 2009 DSG.

Just out of the blue would act like the accelerator was not connected to the engine for around 2 to 2 and half seconds. On mine it was usually accelerating (or trying to) from a slow down.

Multiple trips to the dealer and review by the regional VW tech did not fix it.

rcnaylor

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportswagen Silver
exactly what happened, but from a stand still, car accelerated 10 feet then went into neutral, she went back into gear when I gave it more throttle
OK, the revving without acceleration is not what mine did. Different deal on that.

GearheadzTV

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 JSW DSG
I noticed that if I'm feathering the throttle, getting ready to jump in, if my timing wasn't right and have to let off then step on it again to go, it's has reacted this way with a delay...seems like the tranny was thinking of shifting to second and the heavy throttle input makes it think twice and selects/stays in 1st then takes off like a bat out of hell!
We made a change with vcds that affects when the clutch is released...iirc it was regarding higher rpm. I know I've read a thread where someone else made the same changes. Since the change I can't recall it happening again.
Btw we were trying to deactivate the hill hold feature and came across that option so I can't exactly remember where it was in vcds.
Hope that helps a bit...

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
I noticed that if I'm feathering the throttle, getting ready to jump in, if my timing wasn't right and have to let off then step on it again to go, it's has reacted this way with a delay...seems like the tranny was thinking of shifting to second and the heavy throttle input makes it think twice and selects/stays in 1st then takes off like a bat out of hell!
We made a change with vcds that affects when the clutch is released...iirc it was regarding higher rpm. I know I've read a thread where someone else made the same changes. Since the change I can't recall it happening again.
Btw we were trying to deactivate the hill hold feature and came across that option so I can't exactly remember where it was in vcds.
Hope that helps a bit...
will definitely look into this