Drove a Prius today

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Hope you also have a picture of the female scientist friend of yours

blue909

Veteran Member
Thanks for the balanced, fair review.... it's expecially nice to see a TDI-fellow saying anything positive about anything other than a TDI. MY impressions of the Prius (2 test drives) are siimilar... like you, if there were no TDI I might actually buy one for basic commuting around town.

Isn't it hte case that the Prius get better in-town MPG than highway driving due to the electic assis? Thus, your friend will probably not improve her MPG on long highway trips much, even if sticking with the speed limit.

Thanks again for hte impression.

blue909

think diesel

Veteran Member
I got the oppurtunity to drive a Toyota Prius for the first time today guys.

One of the scientists I work with here at the NIH has one and was more than happy to let me test drive her car while she sat in the passengers side seat and explained her car to me.

First impressions:

Aesthetics/ergonomics:

The car seems well put together. It is a little smaller than my Jetta inside. The seats are comfortable. The little computer display is entertaining, but could prove distracting. The fact that you need to use a touch screen to change radio stations is a little inconvienient and distracting. Computer screen is trick looking and high-tech though. The column shift is awkward and goofy. A traditional floor mounted one or a 5-speed would be nicer.

Drive and ride:

The car is VERY quiet. The electric motor is perky, but if you step on it, it does NOT feel as torquey as my TDI. Period. 255 lbft of torque from 0-400 rpm maybe, but seat of the pants, the electric motor does not have the feeling of low end thrust that the TDI does, but it is not bad at all. Respectable for certain. When the gas engine kicks in there is more power, but it is a little unpredictable. The transition is seemless enough, but it is not always there when you want the extra power. My friends says that isn't too bad and you get used to it.

The tires suck. They are very hard and would be awful on wet/icy/snowy roads I would think. The springs/shocks seem a bit firmer than my TDI, but the geometry of the car...the height and the hard tires make it feel a bit tippy. Steering is smooth and precise but slightly overboosted for my taste.

Overall I was impressed at the seamless transition of the engines (electric to gas) I was impressed by the build quality.

Low-end power was not that impressive compared to a TDI, but acceleration was at least as good as a TDI, it just doesn't feel as fast or powerful, even though it is, if you know what I mean.

Interior quality is not quite as euro-chic as a Mk4 Jetta, but is certainly up to Toyota's high standards. Computer display is cool looking, if a bit impractical to use and somewhat distracting. Trunk space is nearly equal to my Jetta though interior space feels more cramped. Rear seat cannot be folded down.

I have some pictures I took today with my digital camera, but I've forgotten how to post them here. If someone can give me some easy instructions I will put some of them up for you all to see.

To sum it up, I would not trade my TDI for a Prius, but it is a nice car and if there were no TDI available there is a very good chance I would buy one.

My scientist friend says she has averaged 44 mpg with mostly in-town driving. My TDI does about the same I told her. She was very impressed when I told her I got 53 highway on a trip to Vermont. She has around 6k miles on her Prius and was not able to break 45 mpg on a recent trip to Maine, even though she drove the speed limit. (I was 10-15 mph over when I got 53 mpg)

So how do I post these pics of the Prius?

gardentender

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
Jetta GL 5 spd, 2001, Galactic Blue
it has always been my impression that these hybrids are better suited as inner city cars than suburban or interstate cruisers.

gardentender

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
Jetta GL 5 spd, 2001, Galactic Blue
it has always been my impression that these hybrids are better suited as inner city cars than suburban or interstate cruisers.

good review!!

hmmmm. now that was interesting.
solar flares, maybe??
or balky shifts from electric to gas?

[ June 12, 2001: Message edited by: gardentender ]

tdibugman

Veteran Member
thats right , the Prius and Insight were designed for urban driving, therefore their hwy mpg is not much better than city.
Of course the tires suck - they are hard to provide good mileage. And around the city, I cant imagine needing more power than the Prius has. But out on the highway......

think diesel

Veteran Member
I am having ZERO luck with the TDI club image server. Either I get an error message when I try and register or I cannot connect to it at all. Does anyone else have an account or another idea. I can email my handful of Prius pics to somebody if they can just help me get them up here...

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Thank you TDI meister!!!

You've provided my one GOOD laugh for the day.

Oh and nice review of the car.

snowball

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2003, Red
I'll host the pics for you if you like.
Email a batch of them to:

blammo@mediaone.net

I'll put them up on my webspace tonight for you (may not be till midnight, but I will have them up for you).

Thanks for the review also. I was giving some thought to a hybrid. I really think they would be more popular if there was a huge rebate or other incentive for buying one.

What do you do at NIH? I installed some of the research systems that you guys use down there. Do you or your friends work in the frog labs? How about the zebra fish?

[ June 13, 2001: Message edited by: snowball ]

think diesel

Veteran Member
I am a Macintosh Technician for the Human Genome Research Institute. Some of my friends here do work in the frog labs and there are zebrafish everywhere here. You can't walk 5 feet around here without seeing an iMac or a zebrafish tank

Here are the Prius pics at long last:

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
We beat that horse. Is there anything left to say. If reducing emissions or owning the latest technology is worth $2,000 or $3,000 to you, then buy a Prius. That's the only thing the Prius has on a TDI.

blue909

Veteran Member
Actually, I DO have a Prius question.... can someone answer it with -certainty-?

During my test drives, I do recall that the Prius engine shut off at stops, and then when going again at the green light, it pulled away using only the electric motor, with the gas engine kicking in later. My question is: does it still behave this way when the AC is on? I don't recall if I had the AC on or not when I tested it.

Thanks in advance.

blue909

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by blue909:
Actually, I DO have a Prius question.... can someone answer it with -certainty-?

During my test drives, I do recall that the Prius engine shut off at stops, and then when going again at the green light, it pulled away using only the electric motor, with the gas engine kicking in later. My question is: does it still behave this way when the AC is on? I don't recall if I had the AC on or not when I tested it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

During the tdi-hybrid wars of a few weeks back it was stated that you can improve your 0-60 time by turning the A/C *on* and to "max AC". This caused the engine to run constantly and thereby improves accel.

I can't say for sure if the "max" part is required. In an ordinary car the "max" part would mean that the recirc mode was engaged. Since the AC is driven from the crank, I don't see how it could work without the engine running, however it's conceivable that the entire engine could cycle along with the AC compressor.

TDi Guys

Veteran Member
The "max ac" button in the Prius is completely seperate from the recirc button. All "max" does is run the gas engine all the time to put priority on ac. If just the "ac" button is pushed the engine will shut off when slowing down and while stopped (assuming the interior temp has stabilized). The fan will keep running, however.
As far as faster acceleration with max on.... If the engine is off and you floor the throttle the car will of course have to start up the engine as soon as you pull away. That takes a little energy, of course. If the engine is already running (max is on) then you don't waste the time/energy to start the engine. I can't imagine the difference being all that much. Even if the engine is running at a complete stop it does not provide any thrust to the car itself until about 20 mph or so. No matter what, the elect motor is always powering the car from a complete stop or in reverse.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tadc:
During the tdi-hybrid wars of a few weeks back it was stated that you can improve your 0-60 time by turning the A/C *on* and to "max AC". This caused the engine to run constantly and thereby improves accel.

I can't say for sure if the "max" part is required. In an ordinary car the "max" part would mean that the recirc mode was engaged. Since the AC is driven from the crank, I don't see how it could work without the engine running, however it's conceivable that the entire engine could cycle along with the AC compressor.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

blue909

Veteran Member
So, the answer is?

w "AC' on the engine still turns off at stops, the elec AC fan runs (the coolant in the tubes certainly stays cold for the duration of a stoplight) and then the engine starts again later AFTER the electric motor gets the car underway...

w "MAX AC" the engine WILL stay on at stoplights (i.e.: all the time)?

...is this correct or am I confused? Just curious.

blue909

TDi Guys

Veteran Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by blue909:
So, the answer is?

w "AC' on the engine still turns off at stops, the elec AC fan runs (the coolant in the tubes certainly stays cold for the duration of a stoplight) and then the engine starts again later AFTER the electric motor gets the car underway...

w "MAX AC" the engine WILL stay on at stoplights (i.e.: all the time)?

...is this correct or am I confused? Just curious.

blue909
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are absolutely correct. Also, with just "ac" on (or heat for that matter) the engine will stay on if the temp is not stable. Good case for Prius owners to properly use the auto climate control instead of keeping it at the coldest setting and low fan.
Again, all this is independent of the recirc setting.

Sprockets

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Ryan:

Sorry you had trouble posting pics! I'd have helped out if I had seen this message sooner (I'm the one to contact for Image Server issues).

Anyhow, the reason you were having trouble is because the Image Server is not Mac compatible!
I can't figure out how you got it to work, unless you used a Wintel.
I can't upload images to it either (from a Mac).

Good hybrid review, BTW.

[ June 25, 2001: Message edited by: ]

blue909

Veteran Member
TDIguys: thanks for the clarification.

Sprockets: I've posted pix to the image server before (from my Mac) w/o any problems. Just FYI.

Thanks.

blue909

banzai

Veteran Member
TDI
NB TDI
Running on pure electric would interest me- for crawling traffic etc- I only have to go 6 miles- but takes 20 minutes! putt me along at 10mph-all I need- maybe 30mph for intown!

I like the trunk carpet better in NB!
Little things- like how the turn/wiper stalks look like the ones from my DATSUN!

I have noticed how crappy/cheap some budget "Japanese" cars look.

I, However do LOVE TOYOTA- would rather have T100 truck or something.

[ June 29, 2001: Message edited by: banzai ]

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
This is the third time I am typing about this:

I had test driven a Prius last fall and found it to be a decent car. It's no VW nor a TDI but it's not a bad car. If my wife were to decide to get a job that requires her to drive a decent distance then I would seriously consider having her get one (she can't drive stickshift nor does she want to learn) since TDI's are very rare here in California. Plus, I can't rely on her to put diesel into it every time it needs fuel.