DPF Light On

dgdewsnap

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Hi all.

The patient is a 2014 Jetta TDI w/ 126k mi. It's pure stock with the Dieselgate nerf.

The DPF light came on as I was driving from Kansas City to St. Louis, so there were several hours of highway speed driving for the regen to occur. The engine light is on (not flashing) and that is due to a persistent P2015 (Intake manifold flap position sensor) fault. I haven't bought the spacer from Diesel Geeks yet to fix it. At that time, my last oil change (full synthetic / diesel) was ~ 12,000 miles ago - so, 2k miles overdue. I've had the oil and filter changed (today) - Mobil1 5W40 / Fram 7083 . I just moved, so all my stuff isn't unpacked yet. I usually do it myself with M1 & a WIX filter.

I use a BlueDriver OBD2 scanner and after the oil change I see a P1A58 code ((NOx Catalytic converter regen required (6744)) - first time I've seen that code. I need to go drive it on the highway at 22-2500 revs for awhile to see if the oil change "fixed" it.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to use something like VagCom and I don't want to spend the money, as I won't use it often enough to justify the cost. Still, I don't like going to mechanics for the "swap parts and pray" experience. Anyone think that OBDEleven will give any useful insight as to what's going on? I'm an old hand at turning a wrench and am able to replace a sensor, etc. I have torn down and rebuild engines before, just not all the modern computerized stuff.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Time for a delete. Also, I'd use the correct oil and a good filter from now on. Mann+Hummel is who made the oil filter assembly, so that is whose filter element I would use.

I don't know whose filter is in the Wix box (they do not make filters for Volkswagens) but it looks like one of the inferior ones to me. Not that this has anything to do with your issue, though. Fram is probably worse.

dgdewsnap

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Yep - vehicle has 126k miles on it now
Time for a delete. Also, I'd use the correct oil and a good filter from now on. Mann+Hummel is who made the oil filter assembly, so that is whose filter element I would use.

I don't know whose filter is in the Wix box (they do not make filters for Volkswagens) but it looks like one of the inferior ones to me. Not that this has anything to do with your issue, though. Fram is probably worse.
What oil do you you recommend?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
When was the fix done? So far all you have told us is it isn't in effect. Have you gone over 48k miles or 4 years since the fix? Do whatever you want but I would try for free before anything else.

dgdewsnap

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
I bought the car used with 80,700 miles. The extended warranty on it ran out at 120,000 miles.

When I bought it, the following already had been done:
  • Air filter replaced
  • Cabin air filter replaced/cleaned
  • Front brake pads replaced
  • Front brake rotor(s) replaced
  • Front wiper blades/refills replaced
  • Fuel filter replaced
  • Oil and filter changed
  • Rear brake pads replaced
  • Rear brake rotor(s) replaced
At 81,200 miles, the following warranty repairs were done:
  • Antifreeze/coolant flushed/changed
  • Heater core replaced
  • Safety inspection performed
At 81,500 miles, the following warranty repairs were done:
  • Emissions inspection performed
  • Heated oxygen sensor replaced
  • Oxygen sensor replaced

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
I bought the car used with 80,700 miles. The extended warranty on it ran out at 120,000 miles.

When I bought it, the following already had been done:
  • Air filter replaced
  • Cabin air filter replaced/cleaned
  • Front brake pads replaced
  • Front brake rotor(s) replaced
  • Front wiper blades/refills replaced
  • Fuel filter replaced
  • Oil and filter changed
  • Rear brake pads replaced
  • Rear brake rotor(s) replaced
At 81,200 miles, the following warranty repairs were done:
  • Antifreeze/coolant flushed/changed
  • Heater core replaced
At 81,500 miles, the following warranty repairs were done:
  • Emissions inspection performed
  • Heated oxygen sensor replaced
  • Oxygen sensor replaced
plug your VIN here: https://www.vwdieselinfo.com/

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If the fix was done right before you bought it it is still under warranty. 80,700+48,000=168,700. It is the greater of the two. You have maxed out at the new till today mileage but may not be, on the after the fix mileage.

dgdewsnap

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
I checked the vwdieselinfo link and it says that my warranty ran out at 126k miles. So I called my local VW dealer - 40 miles away in the next state over. He said that I get a warranty extension due to COVID, so I'm still under warranty until 134,643 miles. I'm scheduled to have them run diagnostics on 10/18 and we'll go from there.

Thanks much everyone!

Oh, BTW, anyone familiar with OBDEleven? Is it worth the $150 for the PRO version? I know it's not Vag-Com, but it looks to be a lot more capable than my OBD2 dongle.

dgdewsnap

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
I've done a lot of looking into VCDS over the last day. I agree that it's well worth an extra $50 over OBD11. I thought it cost a lot more than $200.

Thanks.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Just for one vehicle. I like my obd eleven for pure ease of use. But my vagcom is much more indepth

dgdewsnap

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
I just ordered a VCDS - the $200 version. I only own one VW and I don't need the wireless aspect, so that should work just fine for me. Hopefully I get it BEFORE I take the car to the stealership. I'd like to scan her and see what VCDS says so I can be forewarned and armed as to what they find and say.