Door Actuator Adjusting

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V#2 "Flash", 2000 Jetta GL, B4V#1 "PaTuDI" (2008-2018 RIP)
Hey all!
Quite awile ago there was a link/procedure posted about how to adjust the door lock actuator -- that rectangular assembly in the door jam. Not only can't I find it anymore, but my printout of the procedure & that volume of my manual has been MIA since we closed our business and moved all our car stuff to our own little industrial space.
Does anyone still have the procedure? Help me out here, folks.
Many thanks!!!

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
Adjust so that when you pull the door handle the door "pops" open without having to pull/tug.

CasaEd

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Passat TDi B4, VW Passat TDi B4 GL, VW Passat B3 PD AWX Conversion
Good luck with that, after replacing 3 door handles on my B3 I took drastic measures. Step 1: place a 1mm thick U shaped piece of metal (with a tail )shim behind the door handle to stop it being pulled out of the door. Step 2: remove the plastic end of the door handle that pushes on the door catch tab to release the door and insert small pin to keep the plastic in constant contact with the door lock. Step 3: Remove door catch assy. and weld a piece on top of the tab, larger than the tab it's self. Be careful on the size of the metal you weld onto the tab, too large and the electric window will open your door for you when you put it down. Don't ask how i know this.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I used a B3 strike box on a B4. It wasn’t 100% identical, but it was so similar it worked… I forget what the difference was…

I like to start with the basics. Have you removed the strike box, cleaned it, and relived it?

-Todd

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
ToddA1 -- We haven't taken that off. I know when I had a guy do my door handles on my first B4V that he would adjust that "box" to activate sooner and the door would open so easy. Unfortunately, he can't help anymore and the info I had is MIA. I got it from a link on here to the procedure on MyTurboDiesel or VWVortex, etc.

CasaEd -- the door handle isn't the issue. It's how early/late the latch mechanism activates. That's the thing that can be adjusted. Just can't recall which of the 3 screws does what (2 on outside, 1 odd one on the edge).

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The handle part (with the white plastic) which contacts the strike box paddle is threaded and adjustable.

Seriously, start with the easy stuff. Complicating things makes things complicated….

-Todd

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
Didn't realize that white plastic was adjustable. Just knew the actuator box is. Two diff door handles haven't done anything, so am leaning to the actuator. Have to push to pop the door open from the inside, too.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I would agree with any who have suggested that a good cleaning is in order..however, it might not explain all the issues.

Some of this might be remedied by changing the position of the small nylon cylinder.

I think sometimes the gap between the latch tab and the handle is too far and hence the reason people yank on the door handle to open the door, it momentarily reaches far enough to depress the latch tab but it takes too much force.

Checking the distance between the finger and the tab isn't easy...you have to either guess or remove the door card in the car, but I think it would make for a better engagement between the two and eliminate all the yanking / breaking.

In this photo you can see the nylon cylinder (right arrow). The left arrow points to the pin that hold the cylinder in place. The cylinder can be raised or lowered on the pot metal finger by forcing the pin out and changing the position of the cylinder, up or down. Most of the handles I've seen over the years have had the nylon cylinder installed as far from the latch tab as possible...meaning that over time the force required to get the handle to activate the latch increases....especially when the latches are dirty and the handle is dry and worn.

Further, when the gasket between the handle and the door deteriorates there's nothing to keep handle lubricant from washing away pretty quickly. Grease helps but even that over time won't last if there's no gasket protection....and gaskets are few and far between anymore. Similarly the latch needs to be cleaned / lubricated and protected.

Anyway, hope this helps people out some.

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ah, Steve proved me somewhat wrong again…. I‘m ruining the internet with all my bad info. I knew they were adjustable, but they just slide.

Thinking about it, it was the Chinese A3 style Santana handles that I put on BIG-BLÜE that had the threaded posts.

Last time I ordered handle gaskets, I think I ordered them from Germany. VW Classic Parts is/was still churning them out.

-Todd

CasaEd

Veteran Member
TDI
I tried all the cleaning/lubing methods, my white cylinder was not adjustable, hence I modded it, all to no avail. The handles I bought were from Germany, but the quality was just crap. The locating tangs which are supposed to keep the handle in the door were just too narrow, which meant every time you opened the door it would just pull out, eventually breaking the handle. After doing the 3 mods it now works correctly. I've yet to fix the passenger side door, but that one you can open if you put your knee against it and push it in 1st before opening it.

diesel steve

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 b4v
does some one sell the door striker? the metal thing with the white nylon that is attached to the door jam? the nylon part on mine has cracked and fallen apart,thanks.

CasaEd

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds like the strike pin needs to be brought out.
I wish it was that simple. Tried all that. Will end up fitting new pin and removing latch to clean and lubricate.

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
Hubby took it all apart again and moved/slightly bent a few things in the handle and now the door opens when I use the handle. His next task will be doing the same thing to the passenger side, since it's doing about the same thing.