DIY: 2" Lift Kit for Under $40 - EASY!

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
hello dropnosky
You are right on the 6 speed it is a good 1 shorter on the axles.
How where the alignment spec after you had it done?
some thing to think on is when we lower the racecar we need to shorten one axle to keep it from binding in the turns.
I simple test on your car would be to remove the axle nuts on the ground and slide the axles in and out to see where they seat.

some thing to to check which spring kit did IDPARTS give you? if it was the higher ride height one we may be over the 2 inch lift mark?
One other thing to check is bump steer?
They were able to get very close to factory spec on the alignment
Ill check the axles, have some spares now to play with

The spring kit was OEM replacement spec
Stock springs were definitely tired though, so im certain a greater than 2 inch difference was achieved

I think it must be the slightly tighter angle with the shorter axles

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
metalnerds instructions for mine was to keep everything else stock (springs and shocks/struts). Afterwards I had an alignment done at the dealer and it was almost perfect. At some point it does become an issue I am sure, if you raise it too much. Hasn't been for me though. I got my "deposit" back from him too once I showed I had complied with his "rules". Maybe yours is different somehow.
I did the same thing and also got my deposit back. The only difference is the car was already converted to a euro 6-speed.

So to amend my earlier comment if you lift 2 inches and have a 6 speed on a mk4, you might encounter some cruising speed highway vibration in 5th and 6th

Im going to swap to my replacement axles and see if the issue is eliminated

BigKevinW

TDI
2001 Beetle
Just wanted to give a free bump to an old, but great, post.
I did exactly what the OP showed on the first post to my TDI Beetle this past weekend. The original shocks had 250k miles and were very obviously worn out. For anyone that still hasn't done this and plans, I stress that the passenger side axle will hit bottom before the strut is ready to come out; you have to play around with it little to get it out. Also, if you use a 2" pipe and 2" to 4" bushing for the rear, the pipe has to be ground down more that you think it should; just keep grinding.

I could not be happier:D, except for the cuts and bruises that come along with it:mad:.
I just realized I never shared a picture of the Beetle after the lift. I had just fitted it with new tires when I did the lift, so I'm still waiting on those to wear out to put bigger tires on it. I plan on using 215/65r16 on black steelies. I know they'll come very close to the spring perch, so I'll be using 20mm spacers behind the wheels.

Anyway, here she is...

The4ork

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk1 AHU (in progress) Mk2 GTi 8V MkIV Jetta12VR
Ok, had some REALLY heavy rain tonight on the highway in South Carolina. 60mph, windy, and the ESP wasn't terribly happy with the conditions. It was detecting all the massive puddles on the roadway, once the water wasn't quite so heavy on the road, the ESP calmed down.

Thinking some more about that collar idea, I see one big potential problem with it: The bottom of the strut fits VERY tightly into the knuckle, and is recessed about 2.5 inches. Your collar would need to raise the strut bottom that full 2.5 inches, and there wouldn't be any option for a lesser lift. That's too much even for my tastes, unless another idea comes forward.
just do the 2.5" lift with either coilovers up front, or some lowering springs.

The4ork

Veteran Member
TDI

Did this ever come to life? I love the metalnerd kit, but i HATE the fact it pre-loads the front spring for the lift, thus screwing with the ride quality.

I want an oem ride quality, but with a liift. The only way to get that is by using this collar idea.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Did this ever come to life? I love the metalnerd kit, but i HATE the fact it pre-loads the front spring for the lift, thus screwing with the ride quality.
It doesn't pre-load the spring in operation, just when unloaded before installation. Once installed there is the exact same load on the spring whether there is a one or two inch spacer on top or not, the only thing that changes is the amount of downward strut travel because one or two inches of strut have been lost to the spacer. Upward strut travel is unchanged because that is dictated by the spring and bump stop which is unchanged. There is no pre-load therefore ride quality is not affected.

The4ork

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you for clarifying that. Im gonna purchase the metalnerd kit now.

The4ork

Veteran Member
TDI
does metalnerd sell pieces of his kit? I have adjustable rear spring seats from a coilover kit that i can easily get 2" from, and i'd like to use my bilstein HD struts with the bigger shaft, which i'll have to fabricate, but what i would like to purchase are the rear shock extensions.

thanks

BigKevinW

TDI
2001 Beetle
I have my homemade kit I'd sell for $40 + shipping. It's seen about 30k miles with no trouble at all. I'm parting the car out due to a dropped rod. PM me if you're interested.

clove5

TDI
99.5 golf 1.9l, white, two door
rear spring install

I see what bigkevin said about grinding. I bought a small grinder and spent a lot of time on it. I guess I will keep trying if there is no other options.

I did find a threaded 2" plug that has a square nipple that is smaller than 2" and would extend into the spring seat. just a thought.

update: I did this ^
the plug did not screw down completely into the 4/2 bushing. making the spring seat a bit crooked. I secured everything in and it sits nicely.

Last edited:

Mykul

TDI
'05 Beetle
1. Has anyone attempted a 2.5"-3" spacer, and keep the stock springs?
2. What would coil overs cost to add 3" to stock height?
3. How would you reference those coil overs?

clove5

TDI
mine is setup with at least 2.5" lift in the rear. I have my original shock setup and it is maxed out. ...this is bad. I am looking for a pre-fab shock extender now. rather than making my own. there are plenty of shock extender options for American trucks.

does anyone know if there are any shock extender options out there? maybe on made for a chevy truck, but will work on our cars?

javascript:void(0);

Last edited:

Was a fordie

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
im having trouble finding the right 4'' to 2'' bushings around me.. in wisconsin.... i want to get the parts together to do this diy lift kit

BigKevinW

TDI
2001 Beetle

clove5

TDI
It's really hard to find those parts. I ordered it on amazon

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Is there a simplified version of this for a 1" lift?

Looking at the original write-up it would seem that I could skip the box tubing part on the rear shock mounting, but I'm not sure on that.
The front spacer would just be shorter, if I'm understanding it correctly.

I just can't see the need to go 2", but a little more clearance couldn't hurt.

BigKevinW

TDI
2001 Beetle
Is there a simplified version of this for a 1" lift?

Looking at the original write-up it would seem that I could skip the box tubing part on the rear shock mounting, but I'm not sure on that.
The front spacer would just be shorter, if I'm understanding it correctly.

I just can't see the need to go 2", but a little more clearance couldn't hurt.
I went 2.5" rear and didn't do the box tubing. I never had an issue with it, but I never off-roaded it. Granted, i would have had the same extended length had i stretched it out all the way; I figured it would have been better to have to prematurely wear out the shocks from too many full extensions than have to prematurely wear out the bushings. Had I gone with larger tires, I would have probably attempted to find longer shocks that would fit rather than use the tubing as the tubing looked like an accident waiting to happen.

The front spacer would be shorter. All you're doing is moving the top spring perch down anyway, not relocating the shock mount, essentially leaving the fully extended point the same just like doing the rear without the tubing.

clove5

TDI
You can easily get 1"lift just by buying and installing the gti front springs and the rear wagon springs. They are the same height but stiffer.

clove5

TDI
So I fixed my over extended shock problem with these.

It works great.

slosrtnick

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore, VR6 now (short commute now)
So I fixed my over extended shock problem with these.

It works great.

Can I get a direct link to these shock extenders? Or do all Chevy sized shock extenders work for our shocks? I found a couple of different designs that would seem to work a little better.

Nick

clove5

TDI
Can I get a direct link to these shock extenders? Or do all Chevy sized shock extenders work for our shocks? I found a couple of different designs that would seem to work a little better.

Nick
I took a gamble and bought them. There are several different types on amazon.
I had to do a little adjustment to make these fit.

clove5

TDI
So a slight update on the extensions...they ride great on the road.
I recently took the car up into the mountains to drive a little of road. Going through ruts, holes, and bumps the socks were thunking and maxing out slightly. It didn't bother me to much but I might have to come up with a 3-4" extension setup

Jake_S

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI/DSG; 05 Jetta Wagon auto (retired)
So a slight update on the extensions...they ride great on the road.
I recently took the car up into the mountains to drive a little of road. Going through ruts, holes, and bumps the socks were thunking and maxing out slightly. It didn't bother me to much but I might have to come up with a 3-4" extension setup

Are you using wagon shocks? If not the will help prevent the shock topping out, since they are longer than the sedan/Golf shocks.

Jake

clove5

TDI
No I'm not. I bought the golf bilstein tc sport shock strut kit couple years ago. I'm trying to make what I have work. But it might just be better to buy new, better shocks. A little frustrating

slosrtnick

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore, VR6 now (short commute now)
I took a gamble and bought them. There are several different types on amazon.
I had to do a little adjustment to make these fit.

What did you have to adjust to get them to work? I found some on eBay that look like they might work. Is it the bolt that's too big of a diameter? I looked at a Silverado rear shock the other day while at my work, and the shock eye mount is about the same size as our shocks. Just not sure if the shock eye hole is bigger on theirs and they use a bigger bolt or not.

Nick

clove5

TDI
I used my own bolts. They were no problem. The problem was the extensions were not wide enough for the bilstein shock to fit. I had to use a pry bar and bend the tabs out slightly to accommodate the golf shock.