Difference in air filter brands?

Ivoon

I'm wondering whatis the difference in air filter brands other than price. Mahle, Mann and Bosch all have different prices. Looking for good reasons why I should spend almost $5 more for a Mann over the Mahle or $6+ more over the Bosch.
Thanks very much.

Shuiqlazam

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta - Blue, 2004 Passat - Black, 2010 Touareg Grey
There's a huge discussion about air filters in another thread.

I can't tell ya what to buy. It came down to buy the stock paper ones if you just want to keep the filter clean.

What are the stats on the three different filter types?

Do you have links?
Shui
P.S. Go Pack!

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
Walmart Fram air filter $9.97. I don't like there oil filters but the air filter looks and works fine.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
I prefer the OEM filters that can also be purchased from Diesel Geek. They have a very soft and pliable seal that conforms and seals out dirt from the air box. The other after market filters use a harder rubber that does not conform as easily. If the box does not seal properly debris can be ingested and kill the turbo, no joke.

Use the filters that come with the soft orange seal, those seem to do the best job of conforming.

DB

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
FWIW, my original, orange seal VW filter was beginning to get a bit of a U shape (i.e. not seal; bowed inwards) along one of the short ends at 20K miles. I replaced it with a Fram. The seal on it was supple enough but also thicker and made it more difficult to get the top back on the box. I suspect it may actually be doing a much better job at sealing. I have no idea if it is doing as good a job at filtering, though.

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
Originally posted by Drivbiwire:
I prefer the OEM filters that can also be purchased from Diesel Geek. They have a very soft and pliable seal that conforms and seals out dirt from the air box. The other after market filters use a harder rubber that does not conform as easily. If the box does not seal properly debris can be ingested and kill the turbo, no joke.

Use the filters that come with the soft orange seal, those seem to do the best job of conforming.

DB
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">when are you going to enlighten us to what filter was actually used on the 1 single turbo that was killed fro debris that you have seen. you showed me the car and it was not taken care of. if yo uthink for one minute that i would suspect that a person that cares that little for his car would actually buy an after market filter, then you or more touched in the head then i though. truth is the guy had a factory filter in his car that was seated near properly but failed from poor maintenance but you do not want to admit it so you twiest people into thinking it was an after market filter, for what reason

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
Mo Golf what you describe is common on cars that have had the screen removed. I replaced the screen in my 2000 this past weekend to prevent water droplets from getting to the filter element. When the filter starts to bow inward that usually means the element has gotten wet from water.

Replace the screen so that it stops the water's velocity and makes it drain out the bottom of the air box and stick with the OEM filter.

You want the orange seal to be as soft as possible so that it does not deform the air box ar create uneven pressure around the perimeter of the filter.

DB

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
Originally posted by garrettp:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Drivbiwire:

DB
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">when are you going to enlighten us to what filter was actually used on the 1 single turbo that was killed fro debris that you have seen. you showed me the car and it was not taken care of. if yo uthink for one minute that i would suspect that a person that cares that little for his car would actually buy an after market filter, then you or more touched in the head then i though. truth is the guy had a factory filter in his car that was seated near properly but failed from poor maintenance but you do not want to admit it so you twiest people into thinking it was an after market filter, for what reason
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Garrett is your new name Flame boy or should we just start Calling you Valois?

DB

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by garrettp:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Drivbiwire:

DB
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Garrett is your new name Flame boy or should we just start Calling you Valois?

DB
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">why are you ignoring the subject that i asked about Pete? you can call me what you feel but i am not flamming you , just tring to get the real truth out of you. i am tired of your ignorant, one sided little world. you need to start engaging your brain more before you post what you think is correct!

Colonel Klink

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
2 minutes! Even better than I expected, SP.

Speed is not the only element involved in a good comeback, Dr; quality counts! Take an extra minute or two next time (you can even time it on your new watch, if you need to) and make it a quality insult!

S

SkyPup

Excellent time the watch keeps.

And nice to know what a perfect specimen you have too.

What kind of paper do you prefer? Any special brand?

Colonel Klink

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
I would really need to see a study on paper before making a firm commitment, currently using OEM; 35 yrs and no internal damage or warranty claims yet!

ok, enough silliness...

mechanist

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat silver like the rest, 2005 B5.5 in dirty black, 2015 Passat Highline auto white.
Ya know guys, I'm starting to wonder why I refer people to this forum for info about their newly acquired tdi's or for ongoing questions that the dealer network has no hope of properly adressing. Used to be, you could read all kinds of witty and intelligent discussion, like answers to questions that were asked and all. This, he said - you said bull is enough already. If you need to flame each other, there is always private mail, feel free to use it. It's very saddening to see, and becomes not a one of you. You are better than that.

To answer your question Ivoon, the three filters you mention, are of more or less equal quality. Properly maintained, they should perform equally well.
I would stay away from Fram as I have had both their oil and air filters fail on other cars. Unless their filter being offered is quite different than the others they have produced in the past (less pleats, and thinner) I would avoid it. I haven't looked at their latest offering for the tdi however, and can't comment directly on it, but I have such a bad taste from the last time I used their product, I don't bother with it.
hth

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
well, Skypup is cool but you have to understand sarcasm to a point.. well to a good point
Valois is the man, he has done so much for me and i veiw him as a father. there was a point when i would defend Pete, that point has gone. you guys have no idea what i have to deal with now that Pete finds it necessary to spread drivel. and now he is telling people that Rene is posting with my name. this just goes to shwo you what little he knows.

sorry to offend anyone but Pete has alot of growing up to do (ie: using his brain before speaking). i am just sick and tired of Pete is all
. i love everyone else though
and Colonel Klink , if you and SP ever quick arguing, this place would suck

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Mo Golf what you describe is common on cars that have had the screen removed. I replaced the screen in my 2000 this past weekend to prevent water droplets from getting to the filter element. When the filter starts to bow inward that usually means the element has gotten wet from water.

Replace the screen so that it stops the water's velocity and makes it drain out the bottom of the air box and stick with the OEM filter.

You want the orange seal to be as soft as possible so that it does not deform the air box ar create uneven pressure around the perimeter of the filter.

DB
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Screen has always been there. I clean it out every 5K miles in winter, 2k in bug season. This particular sample just looks like a manufacturing defect. I'll keep it for your inspection the next time we meet.

The Fram filter with black seal is just fine.

Perhaps I'll go paint it orange and see if that will improve it any.

Colonel Klink

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
None of my beeswax, here, but as I wander around the forum and see the emergence of the new garrett, I feel

Wassup, G? Did you and SP and V get together and mind meld?

Argue your points and defend your positions, by all means, but being NASTY like SP undermines credibility.

Garrett, you're better than that; I've read enough of your posts to know that. Please don't go down the SP road. Remember the Rolex thread (that magically disappeared), and how much like an A-hole a certain someone looked, regardless of their exceptional knowledge? Don't become that person...

Sorry to butinski, I felt it important to let you know, G.

S

SkyPup

Our you could just do like the good Colonel Klink and become a perfect A-hole.

osidak

Veteran Member
TDI
'17 BRZ Limited PP
I used purolator for 15K miles. They work just fine. I switched over to piper for the last 45K miles and believe or not everything is still fine.

As to Pete and his drivel. It is just that. Many things he says are not correct and sometimes can be just plain dangerous to your engine.

osidak

S

SkyPup

There is a nice post on oil analysis with the OEM air filter at 20,000 miles with elevated silcon and iron as a result of poor filtration by the OEM paper air filter, not to metion grams of sand pouring out of the box and filter element when first examined.

vERY pOOR

Good thing these crummy paper filters were the first things I tossed the week we got our TDIs and chipped them, I always knew from the get-go the OEM paper filters suxed bad.....

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Pete, Here's a picture of the filter defect.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
Originally posted by SkyPup:
There is a nice post on oil analysis with the OEM air filter at 20,000 miles with elevated silcon and iron as a result of poor filtration by the OEM paper air filter, not to metion grams of sand pouring out of the box and filter element when first examined.

vERY pOOR

Good thing these crummy paper filters were the first things I tossed the week we got our TDIs and chipped them, I always knew from the get-go the OEM paper filters suxed bad.....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This is a picture of the intake AFTER the "foam" filter. The filter has been installed for around 100,000 miles.

We looked and did not find any leaks or cracks in the system. The intake pipes are all sealed without leaks and the O-ring at the turbo is in good condition. The foam filter was intact and oiled with the manufacturers supplied oil. The dust that was trapped in the inlet appears to have adhered to the oil residues that were left behind by the CCV. The CCV has been disconnected for an unknown period of time at what mileage I don't know (owner will chime in I'm sure and fill us in on the details). The build up below is the same type of dust that we keep finding on failed MAF sensors in the A4's. The difference is below there was a surface with a slow enough velocity that the dust could adhere too. The dust is extremely fine and its size is unknown. When you rub it between your fingers its resembles talc powder but drier. The dust is solid black.

Car has 192,000 miles and the last 100K have been on the "Foam filter". Its a 1998 A3 Jetta Chipped with tuning box.

Here is what the compressor looks like

As a comparison here is a freshly cleaned compressor with about 40,000 miles on it. Note the sharp and well defined squared off tips with the absence of any rounding. This is to show a good KO3 compressor wheel verses the one above.

Owner will be ordering a new turbo next week due to excessive tip erosion and turbo lag also the turbo exhibits a slow tendency toward reaching specified boost pressures.

DB

[ April 17, 2002, 22:59: Message edited by: Drivbiwire ]

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
Here is another close up of the tips on the good KO3 compressor wheel:

DB

Colonel Klink

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
The Puralator TDI oil filters are made by Hengst in Germany, are the air filters the same, I wonder? One would think a contractual deal and all that..

S

SkyPup

"I just had a 20k analysis and after 10k on the oil my SI figure was 24. I checked the air filter and just upon removing it about 3 table spoons of sand just fell out. After I had it completely out of the car I found it to be completly saturated after 20k."

OEM Paper Panel Filter SUX, totally trashed at 20,000 miles with elevated silicon in the oil analysis

This is just pathetic.

The second fastest guaranteed method to trash a TDI engine is to use a crappy air filter (using a crappy air filter and using crappy fuel is the NUMBER ONE best method to crap out your TDI.)

Crummy fuel and crummy air will trash a TDI in a hurry......

[ April 18, 2002, 05:57: Message edited by: SkyPup ]

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI

The car I mentioned used a cone, not a panel... And in the box is where you want to find the sand not in the Compressor:

BAD

Worse yet

DB

[ April 18, 2002, 06:01: Message edited by: Drivbiwire ]