Dieselpower04's Golf TDI build thread

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI, 09' JSW TDI, 09' BMW 335d
I have run them... They were not bad for the first year. I would have to grease them every 2-3 months. After the first year they started to rattle more and more no matter how often or how much you greased them. I have a used set sitting here and one side of a new set.

I have gone back to oem rubber guides.

To note I did not notice any difference in braking performance when I swapped back to stock, just silence, and I am 110% anal about how my car drives.

Last edited:

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
still pretty warm too... what was the ambient temp? around 85-90? higher?
i know we've seen a few 100+ days in the last couple weeks here

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
from the video it looks like there is a slight haze once its on full boost. just slight... theres a little fuel left for cooler weather.
i wouldnt be surprised if this car made 200 on the right dyno, or even 190 on this dyno if the weather was cooler.

edit.
after reviewing the video, theres definitely some fuel left. its not objectionable but its at least a "haze"

on a side note i love seeing tdi's making great numbers that dont smoke... on the highway, that much smoke would hardley be noticable. and thats under WOT, this is a well tuned car.

Last edited:

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
from the video it looks like there is a slight haze once its on full boost. just slight... theres a little fuel left for cooler weather.
i wouldnt be surprised if this car made 200 on the right dyno, or even 190 on this dyno if the weather was cooler.

edit.
after reviewing the video, theres definitely some fuel left. its not objectionable but its at least a "haze"

on a side note i love seeing tdi's making great numbers that dont smoke... on the highway, that much smoke would hardley be noticable. and thats under WOT, this is a well tuned car.
Yeah man no doubt on a cooler day, it would be higher! But 186 who on a Mustang dyno is like 208 who on a Dynojet! The car screams on the street, and the smoke while driving isn't bad at all. I can't wait for it to cool down a bit and hit the track. The new BFI mounts really put that power to the ground.

Thanks for the nice words :)

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Cam install

Had Scott KROUT in Jacksonville, FL, install a Frank06 Stage II cam this past week:

Good thing too! Look at those lifters...they were not happy!

Neither were some of the bottom bearings:

In the head:

Car idles smoother, rev's well, can't really tell any power increase though. Will have to dyno to figure out any numbers. :p

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
did you have frank do any bearing modifications? chromed bearing journals on the bearing surfaces of the cam? Good to hear that Krout is still keeping busy :)

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
did you have frank do any bearing modifications? chromed bearing journals on the bearing surfaces of the cam? Good to hear that Krout is still keeping busy :)
Yeah forgot to meant ion that! Bearings were cut, and the cam is the chrome-plated version. :cool:

Scott is alive and well :D

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
we'll call it preventative maintenance... (wink, wink)
put it on the same dyno as before, hope for 200, and post results...

its not likely you would feel 5-10 hp difference much at the level your car is at so it is possible.

thumbs up

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
KW V2 coilovers

KW V2 time!!

Out with the old:

Side by side (KW has amazing build quality):

New VW Polo strut mounts (lower the car another 1/2"):

In with the new:

Tasty:

Rides reallllllly nice!! Not bouncy like the Racelands were. :D

Last edited:

ErackTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 jetta. 13 jetta, 04 jetta
Looks great man
I kno the mounts are from a polo but what year and such
Or what's part # if I go to dealer? I'm in Canada btw lol

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
i was at 22.75 when i met Josh, and first heard of your car.
:(
low is only so cool untill you start busting pans and understeering into the wrong lane etc etc

i busted an oilpan and bought a skidplate, the skidplate literally dragged the ground in my neighborhood 65% of the time (seriously i mean flat earth just dragging) so i realized the low game is all about who has the smoothest most inconvenient special route home
im at 24" right now

i think 24" with the TT spindles etc is probably a good mix.

untill you can get some measurements plugged into cad and work out the geometry, id say thats about as good as it gets. There was once a thread on vortex (?) that was pretty in depth on the geometry, but a lot of the info was initially wrong etc and then almost all of it the subject of opinions, those with the highest post count were the experts. now the thread is full of red X's. the thread touched on the TT spindles and even the h2sport spindles, and the benefit from them was obvious, but again the info is now almost completely impossible to extract from the thread.

Id say with your wheels, tires, spindles, and dampers etc the only thing you would achieve by going lower is pleasing the MK4 forum at vortex, your suspension is currently about as priceless as a billet titanium nugget from mars. why lower it more? youll just be smiting all that hard work.

Last edited:

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
i was at 22.75 when i met Josh, and first heard of your car.
:(
low is only so cool untill you start busting pans and understeering into the wrong lane etc etc

i busted an oilpan and bought a skidplate, the skidplate literally dragged the ground in my neighborhood 65% of the time (seriously i mean flat earth just dragging) so i realized the low game is all about who has the smoothest most inconvenient special route home
im at 24" right now

i think 24" with the TT spindles etc is probably a good mix.

untill you can get some measurements plugged into cad and work out the geometry, id say thats about as good as it gets. There was once a thread on vortex (?) that was pretty in depth on the geometry, but a lot of the info was initially wrong etc and then almost all of it the subject of opinions, those with the highest post count were the experts. now the thread is full of red X's. the thread touched on the TT spindles and even the h2sport spindles, and the benefit from them was obvious, but again the info is now almost completely impossible to extract from the thread.

Id say with your wheels, tires, spindles, and dampers etc the only thing you would achieve by going lower is pleasing the MK4 forum at vortex, your suspension is currently about as priceless as a billet titanium nugget from mars. why lower it more? youll just be smiting all that hard work.
True story. I am about to move to Vegas for my job, so I will prob raise it up once I get out there. I wanted to see how low it could go. I have softened the fronts about half way, and the tires are rubbing on the fender liners on hard turns. I can stiffen them up and that will fix it. The Polo bushings help get an extra 1/2" with messing up the suspension geometry. 24" I think is good enough for me lol :p

Last edited:

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
Yeah man... 23 is right on the verge of frame notching and the fender liners are long gone... I actually never lost and axle. I believe the TDI plunging ball CV is superior to the tripod design on the GTI although many prefer the strength of the GTI axles (which i cannot comment)

The problems associated with hardslamming your car are just not worth the handfull of people who will note how low it is. Lets face it, even a mild cupkit lowers the car enough to look "cool". The number of problems the cupkits cause is almost none.

Why do we slam these cars? Cause it looks like a freaggin race car, but then the suspension geometry is F'ed. It really boils down to function vs form.

Your car is very formy, but under the skin its all business. Keep it that way. thumbs-up

Set the height, corner balance with 1/2 to 3/4 a tank and yourself in the seat. Lock the jam-nuts in place and forget that the height is adjustable. Then dial in the dampers.:D

but again this is all my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions...:confused:

ErackTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 jetta. 13 jetta, 04 jetta
Awesome thanks
I am considering these but I live I Canada and winter would not be fun lol
And the roads here are s#!t and I alrdy smash frame and oil pan so.... I may do just for when at a show and raise it back to compensate
I believe I'm currently at 23 3/4 -24 inch haven't measure since i installed
And with my 3 inch side exit exhaust makes for a scraping good time lol