Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
I currently have an appointment near the end of a month. As far as I know, I am near a mileage step that is worth $1000. Would it be a good idea to reschedule into the first few days of the next month, as they seem to add a 2000 km allowance at the beginning of every month?
Sorry, to answer your question I would need to know which month you are scheduled for...

vwrust

TDI
Golf 2010
The breakpoints absolutely matter as to what you are going to get. That much is very clear in the settlement.
What happened in your case, is you were less than 4000km over a breakpoint in February. By the time you did the appointment, the 4000km in April had increased your breakpoint so at the appointment you were under it, hence the extra cash.

Then why are we supposed to be getting an extra cheque in the mail to bump us up from the break point value to what the car is actually worth (although that rusting hunk of metal was really worth nothing). Or maybe I am just misunderstanding that extra cheque which we have not even recieved yet. We did, so far, get exactly what the original online calculator said we would get if we stopped driving.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Has anyone reconsidered after receiving the signed/approved offer letter and before completing Step 18?

Just wondering how far, if at all they'd let you go back.

dsldub

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Wagon TDI
Has anyone reconsidered after receiving the signed/approved offer letter and before completing Step 18?

Not yet, not sure you could tho. But if I was to go back, I would have done away with the trade-in.

I'm at step 18 also. Waiting on pricing/options on the new '18 GSW before I commit to a date.

I have been driving my car the least possible (to & from work only) and park it on weekends.

Last edited:

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
You did order a new '18 car? Did you complete step 18? If so, what date did you pick?
Yes we did, actually 2 at competing dealers - 2nd dealer is our preferred dealer and he said he'd order one and to let us know what the 1st dealers price was and he'd beat it! We only ordered the 1st one because there was a communication error trying to get through to our preferred dealer.

I haven't completed Step 18, waiting to get a firm delivery date for the Alltrack.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...

You have until 20 days before your scheduled appointment to change your mind and opt for another benefit in the settlement plan. Pg 33 of the FAQ on the settlement website.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
You have until 20 days before your scheduled appointment to change your mind and opt for another benefit in the settlement plan. Pg 33 of the FAQ on the settlement website.
Having NOT competed Step 18 there is no appointment scheduled... So, I guess it shouldn't be a problem at all!

ElectricMayhem

Veteran Member
TDI
None!
I would say then, your best turn in options would be late in one of the months where the allowance is added:
August 2017, October 2017, December 2017, February 2018, April 2018, June, 2018, August 2018, October 2018, December 2018
Appointment is 26 Aug 2017.

I was in the same boat. Our buyback appt is for July 04 (sorta symbolic). I drove the car as little as possible until I got the mileage confirmation call from RP. If, when they call, you learn you're losing the $1000, ask the rep some pointed questions about how you can get the money back and think about rescheduling.
Thanks. I drive no more than 1100 km/mo right now, so if I don't like what the RP confirmation person says, I will just cancel the appointment and let the mileage allowance catch up. At the time the calculator was still available in late April, I was on the edge of a drop from $14950 to $13800. The offer I got a few weeks ago was at the high end of that.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Appointment is 26 Aug 2017.
If the calculations are right, your breakpoint by then will be 12,000km higher than what you would have seen in Feb this year.

I think end of August is a good spot to stay, given what we know about the breakpoints and how they move every 2 months.

Worst case, start a new claim with a different email, stop when you get to step 11 and play with the numbers there.

ElectricMayhem

Veteran Member
TDI
None!
I'm at step 18 also. Waiting on pricing/options on the new '18 GSW before I commit to a date.
Have you been given any information as to when the order guides and pricing will be available for Golf/GTI/GSW?

Looking at a 2018 Elantra GT right now, sold elsewhere as the i30. But it just doesn't seem to have the refinement of the Golf, so I might end up with a 2018 GTI. Also VW seems to be the only manufacturer who will sell me a manual car in the higher trim levels. I don't know why most manufacturers assume that people who like manuals don't have money.

dsldub

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Wagon TDI
Have you been given any information as to when the order guides and pricing will be available for Golf/GTI/GSW?
Looking at a 2018 Elantra GT right now, sold elsewhere as the i30. But it just doesn't seem to have the refinement of the Golf, so I might end up with a 2018 GTI. Also VW seems to be the only manufacturer who will sell me a manual car in the higher trim levels. I don't know why most manufacturers assume that people who like manuals don't have money.
The only reason im waiting for 2018s is because I can get the 4motion with 6MT, otherwise i would jump ship after almost 20 yrs of VW's.

So far, no info on pricing/options/colours/and so on. Dont get me wrong, i could order any car i want, but i just like to know ahead of time what im getting into

cuestalf

TDI
2012 GSW TDI 2.0L

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31132

aciduzzu

TDI
I mailed in one for an HST rebate (Ontario) yesterday after seeing the earlier post in this thread. I included another cover sheet to outline why I was submitting this to help them understand the reason. Worth a shot for 13% of the value of my purchase price returned to me.
Have you heard anything from them?
They received my letter more than one week ago but I have not heard from them, yet.

CDN_TDi

TDI
2002 Jetta TDi (sold) | 2011 GSW TDi (turned in)
Have you heard anything from them?
They received my letter more than one week ago but I have not heard from them, yet.
Once they determined I was an individual from Ontario (not a business), advice was to provide feedback to the minister - link below. The current form is for business claims. This contradicts earlier member calls to them as posted on this forum.
They were understanding of the situation:
-Sold product returned at no fault of the customer
-Provisions for other CDN customers outside of Ontario. Since this is Federal, every individual should be treated equitably regardless of province of residence
Very interested in their response to your submissions. Good luck folks
www.cra-arc.gc.ca/gncy/mnstr/mlng-eng.html

bmcmullin

TDI
2012 Touareg Execline, 2011 Jetta (bought back 6/17)
CBB values for Touaregs as at Sept 2015

All. Someone over on the Canadian 3.0L FB group went to the library and took a picture of the page with the values for the Touaregs. I made it publicly available via Google Drive as the doc was only available within the closed FB group.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8DEu2v5HpQ3LXZuSUZNMll0Tms/view?usp=sharing

Anyone want to hazard a guess on the min/max of the damages payment to Canadian owners for the 3.0L eggs?

Also curious what other Touareg owners think of these values. For me, I'm pleasantly surprised. The high CBB value of $41K for my low mileage 2012 Execline is $2K more than I paid for it almost two years ago. My guess is the damages comp will be somewhere near $10K. Maybe I'm missing something but I hope not!

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
When there was still a value estimator on the settlement website. Each person ran their car through it at the mileage indicated and entered the value at that mileage. That's how we got all the data.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wbM72Z9DVlaxA0qQlOp6GcIaN1HZGv4Hba5Y0MhnGjM/edit#gid=0

Entered a 2nd email last night and playing around @ step 11. I just updated all the $$ values (100k - 300k km) from the portal. Lets keep this spread sheet going as it's an interesting comparison - if for nothing but sh1ts and giggles!

minitechnicus

TDI
VW Jetta 2002 TDI (sold), VW Passat TDI 2004 (sold), VW Passat 2014 TDI Highline (sold back to VW)
Hello everyone,

A question regarding Step 17 . I signed off and uploaded the Letter of Offer exactly a week ago (June 14), waiting to be validated and move on to Step 18. Any idea how long the validation process will take ? What was your waiting time ?

Thanks !

Cheers !

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
Hello everyone,
A question regarding Step 17 . I signed off and uploaded the Letter of Offer exactly a week ago (June 14), waiting to be validated and move on to Step 18. Any idea how long the validation process will take ? What was your waiting time ?
Thanks !
Cheers !
I've been waiting since June 6...so........

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
Hello everyone,
Thanks !
Cheers !
Took 10 days for ours.

CDN_TDi

TDI
2002 Jetta TDi (sold) | 2011 GSW TDi (turned in)
24 hours ? WOW ! Meantime FVWVWF is still waiting since June 6. I guess the letters are randomly validated
Yes, very fortunate. Final offer letter took over 6 weeks though (from doc submission date).
Hang in there FV. Good luck everyone...

joey003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
Here we go. I'm at an appointment with the second car. The one that had a flat so I've had the spare on and original in the trunk.

Very nice guy, was pleasant when I brought the first car back, but with the spare he's unsure if I can return it. Said he has to call RP because originals need to be on and driveable.

I told him many have returned with winter tires on instead and kept the originals at home. He said that's fine. For some reason winter steelies are allowed.

I pushed a bit and he said "honestly the whole thing is quite ridiculous"

Update. He just spoke to RP. They want us to put the original back on and show that it can be driven. I told him it's flat (though the wheel is actually bent).

Oh boy....

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Here we go. I'm at an appointment with the second car. The one that had a flat so I've had the spare on and original in the trunk.

Very nice guy, was pleasant when I brought the first car back, but with the spare he's unsure if I can return it. Said he has to call RP because originals need to be on and driveable.

I told him many have returned with winter tires on instead and kept the originals at home. He said that's fine. For some reason winter steelies are allowed.

I pushed a bit and he said "honestly the whole thing is quite ridiculous"

Update. He just spoke to RP. They want us to put the original back on and show that it can be driven. I told him it's flat (though the wheel is actually bent).

Oh boy....
This is relevant to my interests...

joey003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
Sorry took a bit to come back to update.

Ended up being ok after a bit of back and forth with the agent and RP on the phone. Phone rep kept insisting that it needed to be on original or steel wheels and driveable but not on a spare tire. The agent in person didn't agree.

I told them "I'll go out and get the hand jack and swap the tire if that makes you happy, and drive it on a flat". Eventually phone rep said it was ok.

He apologized after and said, if it was me I wouldn't bother, but the system is going to ask me to put a note to show that I called if I report the spare tire being used.

All good in the end. 2 of 2 now gone.