Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

aciduzzu

TDI
Did anyone have any problems returning their TDI with steelies, when originally equipped with alloy wheels? I remember reading one or two posts where they said it was OK...

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
There are been literally a ton of people reporting that they've returned their cars with steelies, dents, damaged windshields, smashed this and that all without any issue.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
Did anyone have any problems returning their TDI with steelies, when originally equipped with alloy wheels? I remember reading one or two posts where they said it was OK...
If you really need to have proof that you can return them on steelies, visit any VW dealer. You will see at least a dozen TDI''s parked and you can tell they've gone through the process. And you'll be amazed to find out how many don't have original rims.

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
It was a long road, but I've now an appointment to trade in after filing on the 28th of April. Can't wait for July 10th now (Could have picked an earlier date but will be out of town until then).
What is your new ride going to be?

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
I can't be 100% positive that my email helped but i don't see how it could have hurt. Have you called their call center? In my case I was told my offer letter was created on 5/9 and called in the last 3 weeks asking for updates. I would assume they looked at my file and realized there was something wrong and its was fast tracked.
Appointment booked for July 4th!
Yes, I did call the VW help line. The rep put me hold for a couple of minutes; told everything is good in my claim and that the offer letter has been drafted, I think he said 23rd of May . He just said they're over loaded with claims and that I just have to be patient . I didn't get rude with or ask for a supervisor, that call was made last Sunday , June 4....

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to email Ricepoint. Is there a specific email address for them?

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Latest obstacle. We have our appointment for 9 am June 27th. Right on schedule, 20 days before, I pick up the phone call from RP to confirm the mileage. Now I am retired, and my wife still works as a family doctor and, as you can imagine with family doctors in Quebec, is extremely busy.

Anyway I identified myself as her husband (the car is in her name). The RP rep would not talk to me, had to talk to my wife. So I texted my wife the mileage, told her to expect a call from RP, and gave the RP rep her cell number. Except that my wife never answers her cell during the work day, because, well, you know, she is with patients. She told me "next time give them the office number and I'll tell the girls in front to let the call thru."

Well they so far have never called back, either here, or on my wife's cell (no missed calls). Should I call RP in my best falsetto voice, pretending to be my wife, and give them the mileage? Or if they do call today, do the same and pretend to be her? My wife is very difficult to reach by phone from 8:30 am thru 7 pm...

Gosh why did they have to make this so complicated? They could have done this on-line as well, send an e-mail 20 days before asking to log onto the site to confirm mileage, time and date, and be done with it with the whole thing time stamped. Talking on the phone is, you know, so 20th century.

Meanwhile the new wagon is waiting. Checked it out this week, and it was mounted on Hankook Kinergy tires. I hate Hankook tires, had them on my Mk VI, terrible tires, multiple flats, dangerous in the rain, and a blowout at speed. So he agreed to do a free swap for Contis from another car with identical wheels. So far I have been quite satisfied with Contis as summer tires, I just find they get noisy when worn. But they haven't tried to kill me yet :p We're also getting window tint and monster mats (thrown in for free), plus the VW discount, etc. A bit over two more weeks and hopefully we have this gong show behind us.

Last edited:

joey003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but haven't been on for the past few days.

I was following this one person's buyback, as they mentioned a while back that they have a flat tire so they put the spare on and left the flat in the trunk. They got to the dealer, and the RP employee wouldn't accept the car with the spare on. Her husband pulled out the flat, jacked the car, installed it and put the spare back in the trunk just to get them to accept the car for the buy back. The best part, immediately after they were done, VW went and put the spare back on so they could move and drive the car.

Others have reported bringing a car back in with the spare on, so it's likely just that specific RP employee being a bit unreasonable. But man, what a joke.

I have an appointment in 10 days to bring back my wagon with a bent wheel in the trunk and the spare on. Curious to see what will happen.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Well, I'm still trying to decide whether to put the snow tires and winter steelies back on. Our snow tires have 5 seasons behind them, and are due for replacement. I'd keep the alloys as winter wheels for the new wagon.

jmp55

TDI
golf tdi 2012
Letter has been drafted as well. It is waiting to get read over by the auditing team before releasing to me and they cannot tell me how long that will take :(

joey003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
Well, I'm still trying to decide whether to put the snow tires and winter steelies back on. Our snow tires have 5 seasons behind them, and are due for replacement. I'd keep the alloys as winter wheels for the new wagon.
I think you'd be safe. Many people have mentioned bringing the car in on winter steelies.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Letter has been drafted as well. It is waiting to get read over by the auditing team before releasing to me and they cannot tell me how long that will take :(
Took 4 weeks before I got mine.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
That's not as bad as I imagined.
Overall...its not. I did however threw a fit almost daily when others have been getting them within 7 or so days.
I guess in my situation.....have been spending money on repairs on the current Jetta and my new car is parked at the dealer....and I am waiting for this to be over. Frustrating. If my process was a quick as others who have submitted on the same day as me or later...I would have saved myself a lot of money. Repairing a car that is being sold and then crushed....

paperthin

Veteran Member
TDI
15 A3 TDI
That is what I am doing. I have 8 season on my snow tires...they are done! July 10th my 09 jetta going in. I may break a tear. My newly purchased used A3 TDI will require snows. I will peek for some used snows on rims, but the backup plan is to remove the current tires which are still good and buy some new snows and install them on the alloys.

dsldub

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Wagon TDI
Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but haven't been on for the past few days.

I was following this one person's buyback, as they mentioned a while back that they have a flat tire so they put the spare on and left the flat in the trunk. They got to the dealer, and the RP employee wouldn't accept the car with the spare on. Her husband pulled out the flat, jacked the car, installed it and put the spare back in the trunk just to get them to accept the car for the buy back. The best part, immediately after they were done, VW went and put the spare back on so they could move and drive the car.

Others have reported bringing a car back in with the spare on, so it's likely just that specific RP employee being a bit unreasonable. But man, what a joke.

I have an appointment in 10 days to bring back my wagon with a bent wheel in the trunk and the spare on. Curious to see what will happen.
just tell them you had a flat on the way in, and replaced the tire on the side of the road. Leave the rim and jack in plain view to support claim ;), and a pair of dirty disposable gloves.....

YCdubber

TDI
2010 Golf Wagon Comfortline TDI
Latest obstacle. We have our appointment for 9 am June 27th. Right on schedule, 20 days before, I pick up the phone call from RP to confirm the mileage. Now I am retired, and my wife still works as a family doctor and, as you can imagine with family doctors in Quebec, is extremely busy.

Anyway I identified myself as her husband (the car is in her name). The RP rep would not talk to me, had to talk to my wife. So I texted my wife the mileage, told her to expect a call from RP, and gave the RP rep her cell number. Except that my wife never answers her cell during the work day, because, well, you know, she is with patients. She told me "next time give them the office number and I'll tell the girls in front to let the call thru."

Well they so far have never called back, either here, or on my wife's cell (no missed calls). Should I call RP in my best falsetto voice, pretending to be my wife, and give them the mileage? Or if they do call today, do the same and pretend to be her? My wife is very difficult to reach by phone from 8:30 am thru 7 pm...

Gosh why did they have to make this so complicated? They could have done this on-line as well, send an e-mail 20 days before asking to log onto the site to confirm mileage, time and date, and be done with it with the whole thing time stamped. Talking on the phone is, you know, so 20th century.

Meanwhile the new wagon is waiting. Checked it out this week, and it was mounted on Hankook Kinergy tires. I hate Hankook tires, had them on my Mk VI, terrible tires, multiple flats, dangerous in the rain, and a blowout at speed. So he agreed to do a free swap for Contis from another car with identical wheels. So far I have been quite satisfied with Contis as summer tires, I just find they get noisy when worn. But they haven't tried to kill me yet :p We're also getting window tint and monster mats (thrown in for free), plus the VW discount, etc. A bit over two more weeks and hopefully we have this gong show behind us.
FYI, my parents took a little while to call RicePoint back to confirm mileage and apparently there was a time limit on calling them back. So basically what happened was that they were limited to 2000KM based on the mileage on the offer. Apparently when you confirm your mileage, it resets the 2000km counter.

I assume they can't wait to long to make sure your package gets to the dealer in time.

alexvtr

TDI
2014 TDI
Didn't they gave you a phone # for your wife to call them back?
When they called me asking for the exact mileage, I didn't have it with me and I was miles from my car so they gave me a phone number to call at my convenience.

Todd_y

TDI
2012 Golf Highline mt
Is anyone aware of a power of attorney form for the Canadian deal if 2 names are on the title but only one can attend the appointment? Google finds a form for the US settlement but I haven't found anything yet for the Canadian deal.

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
Is anyone aware of a power of attorney form for the Canadian deal if 2 names are on the title but only one can attend the appointment? Google finds a form for the US settlement but I haven't found anything yet for the Canadian deal.
RP will email it to you if you give them a call, at least that's what they did for me.....otherwise I could forward it along.

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
Pretty much what the rep told me...word for word..Also threw in the comment that they are "inundated with claims"...Letter was drafted May 23.

Scotsman

TDI
Golf, Touareg
Submitted April 28th and just got my offer. A couple of hundred dollars less on the trade in value but who cares! Just reading the fine print and came across the 'Released parties' item 2 that says we also release all vw contractors, subcontractors and suppliers. Is there a Bosch settlement for Canada that would be negated by this clause?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
All that means is that you can't independently sue them. The Bosch class-action settlement isn't affected by that clause - only that you can't sue them independently if you accept this agreement.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Didn't they gave you a phone # for your wife to call them back?
When they called me asking for the exact mileage, I didn't have it with me and I was miles from my car so they gave me a phone number to call at my convenience.
Nope. I managed to get the number by calling their help line. She called and got the mileage recorded. She's good now for another 2k km, which is plenty until the 27th.

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI Highline returned for refund
So, Here's one for the books..... I am scheduled to return my 2012 Passat TDI this afternoon.

Last night I took all my personal items out of my car and found my spare set of keys and laid them on the console so I wouldn't forget them and admittedly forgot to lock my doors during the night... (I never forget to lock my doors) Car gets stolen off of the driveway...

Luckily they returned the car after putting over 100km on it, damaged the rear bumper (over $1500.00 in damage) and kept my spare set of keys. Called the police - dusted the car for prints and gave me a damage sticker... Now what???

Went to my VW dealer this morning after the Police were done with the car and told them what happened . The Ricepoint rep was there and I showed him the car and the damage. He told me that they would accept the car with the damage - he said it didn't affect the drive-ability and he felt really bad for me. I return my car in an hour and never have to see it again... What are the chances of that happening....

I'll be parking my new 2015 Passat TDI in the garage tonight and my wife's car is going on the driveway....:)
lol
Glad you got the car back, in time to make your appointment...;)

wakka88

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Buy back value is $20K much higher than Trade-in value $14K.

Does it mean if I choose Trade-in I'll get less money?

My engine light is on, dpi need to be replaces and suspension problem. It's still drivable!
Will the dealer accept it if I choose Trade in?
(I've reserved a e-Golf, but it's hard to sync return date since delivery is unknown)

Confused! I hope someone can help!