Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Fyi
I confirmed this morning with my dealer's TDI ambassador, that I will be able to drive away (buyback with trade-in) in the new to me replacement vehicle at the time of my appointment. Happy for this as I live 50 km away.
Good to know for when it's time to turn in the GSW and pick up our new Alltrack!

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
So the whole buyback saga finally ended for me on Sat. Handed over the car in exchange of a few signatures and my car and got the long awaited cheque.

I just wish that the the front-end of the process was as quick and smooth as the back-end of the claims process (from the time of receiving the offer letter). They were like day and night difference ...

Good luck to all of you, hopefully it will end for you soon as well.

Phatburner

TDI
2013 TDI wagon
Gotta love Newbies who come here and trash TDi's
Good riddance.
Can't say I blame him really. These common rail diesels are garbage compared to the mechanically injected marvels of yesteryear. Good riddance to VW I say. They'll never see a cent from me again and I hope from anyone else.

dsldub

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Wagon TDI
Everyone has said here, and in the states that you can not pick up your new car on the same day.
If this is true, than there is no point for me to drop off the car where I was planning on buying the trade-in car then (58 kms away), just drop it off at the nearest dealer to me? Just for logistics ease, someone will need to drive me home, would the dealer shuttle give you a free ride home? Not planning on walking 11 or 58 kms home.

Nearest dealer to me = 11 kms (I never go there)
Buying/servicing dealer = 58 kms

kodered

TDI
2012 Jetta
If this is true, than there is no point for me to drop off the car where I was planning on buying the trade-in car then (58 kms away), just drop it off at the nearest dealer to me? Just for logistics ease, someone will need to drive me home, would the dealer shuttle give you a free ride home? Not planning on walking 11 or 58 kms home.

Nearest dealer to me = 11 kms (I never go there)
Buying/servicing dealer = 58 kms
I'm confirming with the Business Manager at the dealer I put the deposit down to see if this can be done same day, and if not, if they can give me a loaner until it is resolved. Dealer I bought from is 75km from home.

joey003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
Had an appointment this morning. 1 TDI gone, 1 more to go.

Smooth process like others have stated. Some signatures, some quick checks around the car.

Now I go back later this month with the other one.

vwrust

TDI
Golf 2010
It is no longer available. The only way to 'play' with your mileage is to be at that step of the process (was it step 8?). I think the only way to get back to that step, if you are already past it, is to phone the call center and have them set you back.

Hiphead

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Jetta 6sp
It is no longer available. The only way to 'play' with your mileage is to be at that step of the process (was it step 8?). I think the only way to get back to that step, if you are already past it, is to phone the call center and have them set you back.
Haven't even started process yet. Was just curious to see what I am entitled to.

dsldub

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Wagon TDI
I'm confirming with the Business Manager at the dealer I put the deposit down to see if this can be done same day, and if not, if they can give me a loaner until it is resolved. Dealer I bought from is 75km from home.
I'm on step 18 in the process.
Waiting on confirmation if I could drive away with trade on the same day, seems very unlikely, as I originally picked the dealer where I was planning on doing the trade. I may switch to another dealer to hand in the car, and buy the new car from the original dealer.

When negotiating the price on the new car, the amount that goes toward the trade must be disclosed I assume? Since it's unlikely to trade old with new car, how does the process work?
Do we get full amount, or does RP keep the amount that is supposed to go into the new car until trade in?

Waiting on 2018 cars to come out before committing to scheduling a date.

Last edited:

YCdubber

TDI
2010 Golf Wagon Comfortline TDI
is the portal down for you guys right now? I just got confirmation to finally book my appointment and now I can't login.

YCdubber

TDI
looks ok to me..
Ok, looks like its a PC issue, tried different browsers and it still doesn't work, but works on my phone.
Time to book my appointment.
I highly recommend to anyone that's stuck on step 15 to either start a new claim (if you submitted on opening weekend) or try sending an email to RicePoint. My new claim was stuck on Step 17 since Friday (only a few days), but decided to send them an email anyway as some people were reporting waiting a while to get the signed offer validated. A few hours after sending them an email using their web form, I got an email to say that my offer was finalized and then another email from RicePoint to say that they were reviewing my request within minutes of each other.

kodered

TDI
2012 Jetta
I'm on step 18 in the process.
Waiting on confirmation if I could drive away with trade on the same day, seems very unlikely, as I originally picked the dealer where I was planning on doing the trade. I may switch to another dealer to hand in the car, and buy the new car from the original dealer.

When negotiating the price on the new car, the amount that goes toward the trade must be disclosed I assume? Since it's unlikely to trade old with new car, how does the process work?
Do we get full amount, or does RP keep the amount that is supposed to go into the new car until trade in?

Waiting on 2018 cars to come out before committing to scheduling a date.
I negotiated the price of my car without involving the "fair market value" of my TDI. They said they would give me a new bill of sale with the adjusted amount due once the offer letter was given to me. So my situation now is RP is cutting me a cheque for the sorry money + the difference between 2015 value and current fair value. Remainder will be applied against my new car as a "trade-in value".

YCdubber

TDI
Appointment booked for July 4th at VW Moncton for trade in. called RicePoint and cancelled my original claim which was still stuck on Step 15 since May 5th.

New claim started last Wednesday, I wish I would have done this weeks ago.

Torqlvr

TDI
2012 Passat
I negotiated the price of my car without involving the "fair market value" of my TDI. They said they would give me a new bill of sale with the adjusted amount due once the offer letter was given to me. So my situation now is RP is cutting me a cheque for the sorry money + the difference between 2015 value and current fair value. Remainder will be applied against my new car as a "trade-in value".

Same process here. Trade-in value was left "to be dtermined" on my purchase agreement. Also was a statement included that agreement was subject to successful completion of the Ricepoint buyback/trade-in.

Zorroroaster

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagon
I asked this over on Reddit but thought I'd try here as well just to gauge responses.

I have my buyback appointment soon - 2009 Jetta Wagon.

A couple of years ago the seatbelt indicator started dingjng even though the belt was definitely plugged in. Rather than rip the car apart, my mechanic offered to just turn off the "ding" for me.

Should I worry about getting him to turn that back on before I turn the car over? It seems like a non-issue but I don't want any problems with giving the car back.

Thoughts?

Steve Ferrous

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI, 2011 Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI (gone), 2000 Jetta TDI (gone), 1991 Diesel Jetta (gone)
Yeah, I would plug it back in and tell them the dinging is the sound of victory at last!

I'm pretty sure people are going to be returning cars whose maintenance stopped a year ago. A dinging for a seatbelt indicator is the least of their worries.

No worries!

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
What a complete Sh*tshow these guys are running.

ATTENTION ANYONE STUCK AT STEP 15!!!

If like me, you have all your documents approved and are waiting for your letter with the formal buy back offer, don't assume your documents are OK. Call and double check.

So, all my documents were approved back on or around the 10th of May. I say "on or around" because despite clicking the "I wish to receive e-mail notifications" I never did receive any but I know when I checked the claims portal around that date I had all green check marks. Start the waiting process...and waiting....and waiting (as you are all familiar with). I called several times only to give up after about 30-45 minutes without getting through. So, today I called and finally got someone after only about 15 minutes.

I got a very nice girl who said "oh sorry sir, one of your documents was not approved"... "what's that, I'm looking at my claim portal right now and it has all green check marks"... "Oh sorry sir, the initial person reviewing them approved your documents but they then go to an auditor and there was a problem"... "So why wasn't I notified?"... "Oh sorry, the auditor doesn't change the system or notify you"

WHAT?

Anyway...after she checked with her advisor they reset my file to step 13 and I had to re-upload the documents with the appropriate correction. But now, if I get all green check marks again how do I know they've really been approved and my file is moving through the system or it was only initially approved and is really stuck in limbo. Seriously, when you can't trust the information they are providing you as accurate (green approved really means rejected at a later date), how can anyone function properly. Like I said, total clusterf*ck. I love how VW's drive, but never buying one again.
followed your advice, and yep.. prob with registration address sir,, So I said Are you kidding me of course.. I said this was something I called about a month ago and was fixed, and why didnt someone who picked up on what they thought was wrong ,not contact me? No Answer,,I dont think these people could organize a drink of water..awaiting the escalation call back or email now.....

kodered

TDI
2012 Jetta
Those of you who have gotten letters, and were in the April 28 - May 6th group, how long did it take for the offer letter to get approved after signing?

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I'm pretty sure people are going to be returning cars whose maintenance stopped a year ago.
Yep we we're now nearly 3000 km overdue for the maintenance interval, and have a broken right front spring. Still driving it. Appointment booked for June 27th. Last maintenance was 9 months ago, before details of the settlement came out and we weren't sure if we'd be keeping the car or not.

Zero intentions of fixing the spring or changing the oil. Just checking from time to time to make sure oil level is OK.

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
I asked this over on Reddit but thought I'd try here as well just to gauge responses.

I have my buyback appointment soon - 2009 Jetta Wagon.

A couple of years ago the seatbelt indicator started dingjng even though the belt was definitely plugged in. Rather than rip the car apart, my mechanic offered to just turn off the "ding" for me.

Should I worry about getting him to turn that back on before I turn the car over? It seems like a non-issue but I don't want any problems with giving the car back.

Thoughts?
did you verify which seat..sometimes the density sensor on the passenger seat activates, try buckling the passenger seat, just a thought.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
7 days of sitting on the buyback offer letter... Dunno what to do - ugh!

2018 Alltracks 6M are available to order!

Soundguy

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
16 days plus 3 phone calls to Rice Point to get it approved and book my appointment - June 07 return date