Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
When we did out actual buyback on Saturday, I asked the VW agent how things were going. He said that appointments were going really well and it was taking 15 minutes on average (that's how long ours took) I asked how the trade-ins were going and he said that they hadn't programmed any of them yet because they were more complicated........
sons of b.....

They had no time to prepare for this. This entire buyback/trade-in/fix fell from the sky like a surprise on their lap on April 27th.

badger617

TDI
Golf
Well I've been waiting for a simple buyback (no loan or financing, nice and simple) and have been stuck at stage 15 for the last few weeks. No e-mail telling me all the documents were approved, or anything useful. The only reason I found out everything was OK was because I kept checking VGCA claims site every day.

So I tried calling today to find out what is going on and gave up after 30 minutes because my phone was running low. I was fed up before, but now I am seriously getting PO'd:mad:.

kodered

TDI
2012 Jetta
When we did out actual buyback on Saturday, I asked the VW agent how things were going. He said that appointments were going really well and it was taking 15 minutes on average (that's how long ours took) I asked how the trade-ins were going and he said that they hadn't programmed any of them yet because they were more complicated........
Alright, I think I'm going to throw in the towel and switch to buyback no trade in.

I read a few pages back stating that you get more money the longer you delay your appointment without putting on extract kilometers on the car. How did that calculation go again?

If this is the case, I'll park my car and push the appointment out to the end of the year.

dhauschi

TDI
2015 Passat
Trade in VS buyback

Hello everyone,
I've been trying to follow all of the discussion on this thread for a while now and I haven't seen a clear answer on something yet. Has anyone chosen a trade-in when they still have a loan on the car? When I got up to the point where the website gave me the estimated amounts the calculator said I still still had to come up with a sum of money to pay off the remainder of the loan after the buyback and sorry money and trade-in value were calculated.
When I purchased the car we had 0% financing so I went with a longer term to keep the monthly payments down, not expecting to have to get rid of the vehicle in 2 years instead of 5.
Has anyone had to do this and traded in on a new VW? Do I have to find the cash to pay out the remainder of the loan or can the remainder of the loan be included in the next cars purchase?
This is making me really lean towards a straight buyout but then I don't get the tax savings of the trade-in. Any advice from someone in the same shoes would be appreciated.

KARKS

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon TDI 2012
Completed by buy back today at 11am in Barrie. It took all of 8minutes to complete everything and have my cheque in hand. The claims person was very polite and had all kinds of notes and information ready.

Went out to the car, turned in on, checked mileage, and took the plates off. No questions or concerns with my winters and steelies on, or that the radio wasn't on (it died a long time ago, but it is original equipment).

Got my cheque and it was $84.30 more than my offer letter. After dealing with the delays in getting the documents approved everything else has gone very smooth. Happy to have my cheque and to put this behind me!

Hope others can have smooth process and be able to move on

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Ugh... Thinking about calling in and rolling it back to a straight buyback.

Screw you VW, screw you!!

YCdubber

TDI
2010 Golf Wagon Comfortline TDI
I was curious why my parent's claim was processed much quicker than ours. We both chose "trade in". However when they received their package it was for a buyback so either they picked the wrong option or Rice Point messed up. Either way, that might explain why their claim went thru much quicker than mine.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
I was curious why my parent's claim was processed much quicker than ours. We both chose "trade in". However when they received their package it was for a buyback so either they picked the wrong option or Rice Point messed up. Either way, that might explain why their claim went thru much quicker than mine.
Whoever on here said that they didnt have any trade-ins programmed yet....might be true. I wonder....is there anyone here who chose trade-in and has received their letter of offer...or was able to go as far as schedule a date??? :confused:

YCdubber

TDI
Whoever on here said that they didnt have any trade-ins programmed yet....might be true. I wonder....is there anyone here who chose trade-in and has received their letter of offer...or was able to go as far as schedule a date??? :confused:
Yeah, not sure either, but seems those I remember reading about were all how quickly it went and they all seemed to be buybacks. Then others on here that decide to change from trade in to buyback.
could also be a coincidence, I didn't go back to look at all the posts ect.

Phatburner

TDI
2013 TDI wagon
Well I've been waiting for a simple buyback (no loan or financing, nice and simple) and have been stuck at stage 15 for the last few weeks. No e-mail telling me all the documents were approved, or anything useful. The only reason I found out everything was OK was because I kept checking VGCA claims site every day. ......
Ditto for me. Enjoying my Tacoma in the mean time. :)

YCdubber

TDI
Just checked with my salesman and he says they have 8 appointments for trade in's, so much for that theory.

joey003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
Yeah, not sure either, but seems those I remember reading about were all how quickly it went and they all seemed to be buybacks. Then others on here that decide to change from trade in to buyback.
could also be a coincidence, I didn't go back to look at all the posts ect.
Yeah - friend of mine who is doing a trade in got his offer on Saturday, uploaded and a day later it was accepted and he was able to choose a date.

joey003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
Another thought - these appointments are all reserved in 1 hour blocks. If they're taking 10-15 minutes (the interaction with the consumer at least), I wonder if they're thinking about offering more appointments throughout the day, like every 30-45 minutes maybe?

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Another thought - these appointments are all reserved in 1 hour blocks. If they're taking 10-15 minutes (the interaction with the consumer at least), I wonder if they're thinking about offering more appointments throughout the day, like every 30-45 minutes maybe?
Nahhh man....
15min to do the physical transaction
45min to do the bureaucratic work like scanning & filing paperwork and updating files
:)

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Just checked with my salesman and he says they have 8 appointments for trade in's, so much for that theory.
Here's my theory. There are supposedly 450 customer service agents working on the VW settlement. I'm guessing that the vast majority are temps hired for this contract only, and put to work with a very short training period after the settlement was approved by the courts.

As a result we are getting highly variable performance due to inadequate training and highly variable skill levels.

We are getting what RicePoo paid for...

joey003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
Nahhh man....
15min to do the physical transaction
45min to do the bureaucratic work like scanning & filing paperwork and updating files
:)
LOL I was thinking that.

I work in healthcare (noticed you said your wife is a Family Physician), and always chuckle when I see certain workers spending 10-15 minutes with a patient and then 45 minutes charting afterward.

joey003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
Here's my theory. There are supposedly 450 customer service agents working on the VW settlement. I'm guessing that the vast majority are temps hired for this contract only, and put to work with a very short training period after the settlement was approved by the courts.
As a result we are getting highly variable performance due to inadequate training and highly variable skill levels.
I agree, I think this is the most likely reason for different approval lengths.

One of my TDIs was 8 days start to finish, including a screw up on my part, document rejection, and re-uploading. And when I uploaded the signed offer, it was accepted within minutes - I bet the agent that was handling that specific case is barely looking at documents and just accepting as they go in.

YCdubber

TDI
Yup, can't argue with that theory.

Flipmode

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem
Hello everyone,
I've been trying to follow all of the discussion on this thread for a while now and I haven't seen a clear answer on something yet. Has anyone chosen a trade-in when they still have a loan on the car? When I got up to the point where the website gave me the estimated amounts the calculator said I still still had to come up with a sum of money to pay off the remainder of the loan after the buyback and sorry money and trade-in value were calculated.
When I purchased the car we had 0% financing so I went with a longer term to keep the monthly payments down, not expecting to have to get rid of the vehicle in 2 years instead of 5.
Has anyone had to do this and traded in on a new VW? Do I have to find the cash to pay out the remainder of the loan or can the remainder of the loan be included in the next cars purchase?
This is making me really lean towards a straight buyout but then I don't get the tax savings of the trade-in. Any advice from someone in the same shoes would be appreciated.
I am in the same situation
1. Car Still has loan
2. Picked buy back with trade in

Claims Process
April 29 Submitted Claim
May 6 Documents approved
May 19 Called RP to find out the status, lady said an agent was assign to my claim
May 29 Still nothing - over 3 weeks after documents were approved

I figure 2 things causing the delay, the loan amount owing and the buy back with trade in. I believe RP is saving this for last since there is more detail and paperwork.

uchu

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Highline - in VW's possession
I am in the same situation
1. Car Still has loan
2. Picked buy back with trade in

Claims Process
April 29 Submitted Claim
May 6 Documents approved
May 19 Called RP to find out the status, lady said an agent was assign to my claim
May 29 Still nothing - over 3 weeks after documents were approved

I figure 2 things causing the delay, the loan amount owing and the buy back with trade in. I believe RP is saving this for last since there is more detail and paperwork.
I also have a loan with VW Finance. Doing straight buyback, though. Documents approved since May 10. The silence from Rice pudding is deafening.

Northman

Veteran Member
Changed my Mind. No trade.

Got the offer by email. Had decided to change from trade to straight buy back. Followed the instructions and made the call to the number given. After a bit of a wait got a rep who said that yes the change could be made but she would get a person to call. Also said that all the attachments were going to be reuired once again. Nothing heard for two days. Hope I still have the scans on my phone. Now I am glad I made the decision to change, no matter how long this takes. Done with VW now. Forever.

dsldub

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Wagon TDI
I picked trade-in and got my offer. Same as the KBB calculator.
Haven't signed-off on it yet tho.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
On hold waiting to cancel the buyback w/trade... Immediately picked up then pushed me into a hold pattern for some who could cancel the claim...that was 20min ago, and counting.

paperthin

Veteran Member
TDI
15 A3 TDI
I picked trade-in and got my offer. Same as the KBB calculator.
Haven't signed-off on it yet tho.
What he said. Although I am thinking to switch to straight buyback. The fair market value (trade in credit) is only $234 in tax saving. Disconnecting these two events seems much less stressful with trying to align.

kodered

TDI
2012 Jetta
You can't believe anything these people say. Called back and they said your offer letter has been recreated and is under review. However it will take a "long time" to get it. I asked her to define what "long time" meant and all she said she cannot comment. So I asked why she called it "long time" and she said that they were instructed to use those words....

Maybe VW should tell Ricepoint that it will take a "long time" for them to receive their legal fees. See how quickly their attitude changes then.

northofnine

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI, 2015 Jetta Highline
Completed by buy back today at 11am in Barrie. It took all of 8minutes to complete everything and have my cheque in hand. The claims person was very polite and had all kinds of notes and information ready.

Went out to the car, turned in on, checked mileage, and took the plates off. No questions or concerns with my winters and steelies on, or that the radio wasn't on (it died a long time ago, but it is original equipment).

Got my cheque and it was $84.30 more than my offer letter. After dealing with the delays in getting the documents approved everything else has gone very smooth. Happy to have my cheque and to put this behind me!

Hope others can have smooth process and be able to move on
Your lucky...
I could not get an appointment in Barrie until June 22...
Offer was approved on May 23rd..

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
Letter was approved May 27, back from rewrite and should be in my inbox "this week". 2 more days... I'm conceding defeat. Fizuck!

kodered

TDI
2012 Jetta
Letter was approved May 27, back from rewrite and should be in my inbox "this week". 2 more days... I'm conceding defeat. Fizuck!
Sounds like I need to try your tactic. Call them telling them to switch my claim to buyback no trade, and maybe they'll realize it is more work to do that and will miraculously approve my offer.

KARKS

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon TDI 2012
Your lucky...
I could not get an appointment in Barrie until June 22...
Offer was approved on May 23rd..
I got and submitted my offer on May 12th. The earliest appointment I could get was today. The claims admin said I was car number 6 being returned. But she did say that they were ramping up appointments to be more frequent. I think she said on the 16th she has 18 appointments to complete.

Not sure where Barrie VW will put all the returns, the lot was very full already.