Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

uchu

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Highline - in VW's possession
Excellent question and point Uchu...I'm assuming you will keep the plate portion of the ownership and take your plates with you if you sell the car back to them., then you'll be able to use the plates on your next vehicle not having to buy new plates if they're in good shape. Another point I would like to bring up is if you have a 407 ETR Transponder registered to those plates ; might be a good idea you no longer have that vehicle. Just my $0.02
the buyer is responsible for the transfer, and 407 transponder stays with the plates and is updated automatically when you register a different car for the plates. a couple of days ago I logged in to make the change only to find out it was already done for me.
Thanks, it makes sense. Keep the plate portion and make sure the 407 account is updated accordingly.

GSW

TDI
GSW
I was a bit surprised however to receive an offer $1,300 lower than the online calculator. I don't like the fact you can't go back in and review everything you've done from the start just to double check etc.
Same here ... any explanation as to why they have offered a lower amount? Is this being done across the board @ random, or is there a specific reason do you think?

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Same here ... any explanation as to why they have offered a lower amount? Is this being done across the board @ random, or is there a specific reason do you think?
FWIW mine was exactly the number I got from the on-line calculator ($15337 plus $5500 sorry money).

Maybe you bumped up into a different mileage category?

GSW

TDI
GSW
FWIW mine was exactly the number I got from the on-line calculator ($15337 plus $5500 sorry money).
Maybe you bumped up into a different mileage category?
Can't be ... I entered a higher mileage (by 1000km) in the online calculator, yet the quote was higher (by $1,150).

When doing the actual form, i entered the correct mileage which was lower than what I had entered in the online calculator. The quote should have at least stayed the same, but I am surprised it's lower. :confused:

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
Hi all,

I got my offer today, but it's $1,150 lower than what was provided in the CBB value estimator when I checked it a couple of weeks ago ...

Is anyone else's value different? if so, are you accepting the offer or can we appeal/argue this amount?
Was your offer via telephone or on the website? Call Ricepoint to see what mileage you need to get to the higher payout. If you can, delay your appointment and park the vehicle for a month or so.

haunruh

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 GOLF TDI/DSG Wagon
At what point in the process was this? Before, or after the offer? We submitted our signed offer a week ago and are still waiting for the document to be validated. We also paid cash for the car, no loans. We're doing a trade in. Frustrating, because our new wagon has been at the dealer for over a week, we ordered it in January. Yet some folks here submit their signed offer and get their appointment a day later.
Before the offer.

GSW

TDI
GSW
Was your offer via telephone or on the website? Call Ricepoint to see what mileage you need to get to the higher payout. If you can, delay your appointment and park the vehicle for a month or so.
It has been parked for a few months already :D

k, I will get in touch w/ them next Mon/Tue

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
Hi all,

I got my offer today, but it's $1,150 lower than what was provided in the CBB value estimator when I checked it a couple of weeks ago ...

Is anyone else's value different? if so, are you accepting the offer or can we appeal/argue this amount?
Interesting, mine was close to that as well so I called my dealer who said he'd speak with Ricepoint about it. I took a screenshot of the higher offer so at least have some proof that it did happen, but it is interesting yours was lowballed as well.

I say hold out and see what they say, a few more days waiting is easily worth $1K.

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
Can't be ... I entered a higher mileage (by 1000km) in the online calculator, yet the quote was higher (by $1,150).

When doing the actual form, i entered the correct mileage which was lower than what I had entered in the online calculator. The quote should have at least stayed the same, but I am surprised it's lower. :confused:
I did exactly the same thing as you so it doesn't make any sense.

kodered

TDI
2012 Jetta
Offer letter denied a 2nd time due to their mistake :mad:

I'm furious with these people, the conversation was not pleasant for the call center agent.

I put down a deposit on another vw, and the car is just sitting on the lot. I'm considering just going back to step 8, and doing a straight cash buyout, and foregoing the tax credit for the trade in.

Wheats

TDI
mk7 Golf

I'm furious with these people, the conversation was not pleasant for the call center agent.

I put down a deposit on another vw, and the car is just sitting on the lot. I'm considering just going back to step 8, and doing a straight cash buyout, and foregoing the tax credit for the trade in.
This is what i just did on Saturday, the car i purchased was used, so the savings were already there. Picking up Thursday and sitting on the TDI until my date gets confirmed.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...

What was their mistake?

We are waiting on our new VW already at the dealer for over a week, and no sign of our signed offer being approved.

aciduzzu

TDI

Are they targeting people with trade in? Should we all switch to straight buyback? And then buy anything but VW (or Audi)?

kodered

TDI
2012 Jetta
What was their mistake?

We are waiting on our new VW already at the dealer for over a week, and no sign of our signed offer being approved.

They made a mileage mistake both times. The CSR told me they have 120 days to get it right.

My car has been sitting on the lot for 3 weeks. I put the deposit down once I got the green check marks, thinking it would go quicker since everything was approved.

questman

TDI
2010 Golf TDI United Grey DSG (buyback June 15,2017), replaced by 2017 Golf TSI
Are they targeting people with trade in? Should we all switch to straight buyback? And then buy anything but VW (or Audi)?
You may be right. I was straight buyback from the start and although my file seemed to be lagging behind (I was in on April 29) it suddenly flew forward and I'm booked for mid-June turn in appointment compared to some claimants with trade in seemingly having no movement on their files. It's almost as if the deal was made in court to allow trade ins but the Rice wants to try to put the kibosh on.
I went ahead and drank the Kool-Aid on a VW gasser anyway

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
I did exactly the same thing as you so it doesn't make any sense.
Rather than the signed final offer I uploaded the screenshot of my $1,275 higher online quote, which was by the way the amount which caused me to choose the trade-in option, including the $5,100 damages a total vlaue of $16,132. Then the final offer comes back and the amount is different, $14,857 with a lower vehicle value. I cry foul......at least.

Added this text to the screenshot:

"Regarding the Final Offer submitted to me on 20170526, the buyback value is $1,275 less than the CBB calculated amount as per this screen shot. I require an explanation for the difference before we can proceed with a settlement agreement.

I am in touch with others who have been provided with offers in strikingly similar lesser amounts."

Signed...

kodered

TDI
2012 Jetta
You may be right. I was straight buyback from the start and although my file seemed to be lagging behind (I was in on April 29) it suddenly flew forward and I'm booked for mid-June turn in appointment compared to some claimants with trade in seemingly having no movement on their files. It's almost as if the deal was made in court to allow trade ins but the Rice wants to try to put the kibosh on.
I went ahead and drank the Kool-Aid on a VW gasser anyway
Who appointed Ricepoint to represent us? We are technically their clients, so shouldn't they be transparent and fair with us, seeing as how they are getting a huge payout in lawyer fees out of this. But I'm honestly not surprised by them, seeing as how dealing with their parent company (ComputerShare), is a nightmare with other matters. Customer service there is absolutely terrible as well.

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
Who appointed Ricepoint to represent us? We are technically their clients, so shouldn't they be transparent and fair with us, seeing as how they are getting a huge payout in lawyer fees out of this. But I'm honestly not surprised by them, seeing as how dealing with their parent company (ComputerShare), is a nightmare with other matters. Customer service there is absolutely terrible as well.
These days it seems to be more about, "What can we do to make money?" vs. "We're pretty good at this and that, folks would benefit from our ability and skill. So how do we build a successful business that can help people?"

That about sums it up.

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
Just got off the phone with the third Ricepoint guy this evening....

He told me the errors in the vehicle value calculations are unsolveable within the company because they don't seem to know what is wrong or where it is happening....or what to do about it.

Yet Ricepoint is advising people to accept the Final Offer even though they are aware the vehicle value may not be correct! Can you believe this???

**** DO NOT ACCEPT YOUR OFFER IF THE VALUE IS DIFFERENT FROM THE PORTAL CALCULATION ****

This guy told me he is quitting the company for this and several other reasons where Ricepoint is lying to VW owners!!!
I can't believe it, this just keeps getting worse.

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI Highline returned for refund
Oh Boy
Just thinking out loud here....
Could the fact that GSW has recieved an offer less than expected be connected with the fact that they are holding final offer letters due to mistakes...{+ or -} incorrect amounts...
AND now since the people in charge are tired of taking flack, for correcting these letters, they are now allowing these mistakes to become final offers???
Just saying I am not looking forward to this and if the calculator doesn't match the letter...I will not be signing and returning it right away, if ever...
I will be taking screen shots for sure....
What a Mess...
Things that make you go hmmmmm...:confused:

Hi all,

He told me the errors in the vehicle value calculations are unsolveable within the company because they don't seem to know what is wrong or where it is happening....or what to do about it.

Yet Ricepoint is advising people to accept the Final Offer even though they are aware the vehicle value may not be correct! Can you believe this???

**** DO NOT ACCEPT YOUR OFFER IF THE VALUE IS DIFFERENT FROM THE PORTAL CALCULATION ****

This guy told me he is quitting the company for this and several other reasons where Ricepoint is lying to VW owners!!!

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
This is the email address for the President of VW Canada: maria.stenstroem@vw.ca
Manager of Public Relations: Thomas.Tetzlaff@vw.ca
PR dept: publicrelations@vw.ca
Thanks but.....
Do you really think these people are the ones you need to talk to?
These are the last people I would call.
If enough people have incorrect offers I think the media is where you need to start..
or maybe the Judge who dropped the gavel on this one...
Like you said...

Last edited:

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
If you receive a final offer for less than the calulator said I would just correct the letter{to the amount expected or whatever you heart desires} and then sign and return it...:)
Problem Solved;)

Last edited:

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
If you receive a final offer for less than the calulator said I would just correct the letter{to the amount expected or whatever you heart desires} and then sign and return it...:)
Problem Solved;)
I like that idea:))

I submitted an appeal, we'll find out how that works in the coming weeks......months.....years. The point of the president's email was to cc her on appeals etc., point taken on the press.

You are correct, though, the company which manipulated the onboard computers is also manipulating the Ricepoint claims administration process, no question about that. It's broken because that's how they want it.

I'm reminded of the youth who's told at school he's in a lot of trouble when he gets home, so that end-of-day trip has the longest duration and the most detours known to man....did a few of them myself.

VW can't put things right here, there just isn't enough money or capability in the VW pot to buy back all these cars, give money to the owners, engineer and install the emissions fix, repair all the other unrelated issues to ready them for sale, sell them, compensate the horribly frustrated dealers, and still remain competitive in the manufacturing business. So they need to buy time, get government forgiveness, and frustrate claiments to deter or otherwise force claim resolution.

Yup, I'm feeling used.

vwtdi04

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf

I am trade-in and notice that in my final offer they lower my vehicle value by 550 cdn then previously offered, but they put that amount into the damages payment so I am not losing money , I called my dealer to make an adjustment in trade-in which wasn't a problem it seems they are aware of this issue...

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSTDI
So I was out of town, had to wait until I got back Friday, to print off the offer. It was for a BUYBACK, not a trade..................

Called Friday night, they told me I'd need to be reset to step 8................ and reload all my documents. Argued for a while with a supervisor, I wanted them to just reset my case to the trade, which I am sure it was, and then reapprove my documents without me having to reload, rewait, etc. Can't be done apparently.

So I went back to step 8, where I was on April 28th. Not got the Blue stare going again.

What a cocked up process. It has no flexibility, even when they are making mistakes.

They should have built in an override system so someone with authority could make it right without starting over.

May 22- I got my green checkmarks for docs approved today, sent them Saturday!!!!!!!

May 23rd- Got my offer today, sent it today, it was fine for my trade in.

kodered

TDI
2012 Jetta
This is the email address for the President of VW Canada: maria.stenstroem@vw.ca
Manager of Public Relations: Thomas.Tetzlaff@vw.ca
PR dept: publicrelations@vw.ca

david.weir@ricepoint.com - SVP business development

mark.jacobs@computershare.com - SVP communications

stuart.swartz@computershare.com - President Computershare Canada

I'm reaching out to these guys today and will link to the Google reviews (1 star) to prove that it's not just me having issue with these guys.

Will give it a few days and will then switch to buyback no-trade. Had enough calling these guys daily and being rejected repeatedly due to their errors. My TDI needs a number of important repairs (brakes, replace front suspension, wheel bearings, 90k service 10k overdue), and I'm not willing to pay for them.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
Thanks but.....
Do you really think these people are the ones you need to talk to?
If enough people start switching from trade-in to buyback because of RicePoint's uninformative and illogical approach to this.....VW does have pull in this process and they would (or should) step in if they want to retain some of their customer base.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
It's really RP higher-ups or the lawyers you need to talk to. I think the relationship between VW and RP is arm's length, but VW's image is certainly being further dragged down by this.

I did have some success with the lawyers in Quebec; I managed to open a channel with a live person, who at one point took my reference number (on a Thursday), and on the Monday (Victoria Day) I had my (correct... or at least matching the estimate... offer).

Now I'm stuck at the signed offer approval stage so I will reach out to her again. I can't talk to RP as i am not my wife and last time I tried they refused to hear me out because their new policy is to talk to the reg'd owner only. Unless I try my best falsetto voice today... It sucks because my wife works as a family doctor, and is extremely pressed for time. She has no time on workdays to follow up on this, and on days off... who wants to spend hours on hold with RP???

daveyboy1357

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
When we did out actual buyback on Saturday, I asked the VW agent how things were going. He said that appointments were going really well and it was taking 15 minutes on average (that's how long ours took) I asked how the trade-ins were going and he said that they hadn't programmed any of them yet because they were more complicated........