Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
I know that feeling! I've never seen a better example of the night-and-day difference between VW dealers - in Myers I always get the sense I'm supposed to be honoured they let me in to spend my money vs "friendly" Bytek - clearly they have totally different company cultures, top to bottom. Unfortunately the Myers location makes me grin and bear it most of the time.
I rather go to Bytek too I avoid Outaouais VW a all costs. Nice to know that some one in the region got in before the end of the month. Applied the 28th and everything was approved the 2nd or 3rd and still waiting for there offer.

Not Happy With VW

TDI
Jetta TDI
Did you actually get to speak to a supervisor?

They wouldn't let me through to one on Monday.

Guess I will try again on my drive home
Good thing I did call back in on my way home, after waiting on hold for 45 minutes, I got told one of my green check mark documents was rejected on May 3rd. The very bottom of my bill of sale was missing and they were worried that I some how had registered and licensed the vehicle for the last 3 years but the sales transaction had been voided and thats why the picture was cut off at the bottom.

I asked why I never received an email or why on May 8th when I called in I was not told this, the supervisor I talked to apologized and said he would unlock and set me back to the document stage and I could re upload the whole document and he would personalty get things approved tonight before he goes home. I said ok, and hung up.

Well an hour later he still hasn't unlocked my account, so I can't upload the damned bill of sale.

I encourage each and everyone of you to call in every couple of days, as they clearly can't manage this on their own.

Steve Ferrous

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI, 2011 Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI (gone), 2000 Jetta TDI (gone), 1991 Diesel Jetta (gone)
Wow NHWVW - this is discouraging.
They should have a daily debrief and target/prioritize the oldest inventory.
They should also ALWAYS be notifying when they stop the process.
If this is RicePoint applying their "lessons learned" from the US, then those poor Americans must have had it horrible.

richyrich

TDI
2014 Touareg, 2015 Sportwagon (gone to the big emissions-lot in the sky)
Has anyone doing a lease termination got further than green check marks (step 15) yet?

richyrich

TDI
If this is RicePoint applying their "lessons learned" from the US, then those poor Americans must have had it horrible.
Same happened to me. I suspect the process is when one reviewer rejects you, a second person has to confirm it before you see the rejection on the portal. Either that or the portal is not updated in real time but I doubt that. The second verification would make sense if they're trying to avoid mistakes and pi&&ing people off, which is likely. In fairness, my doc was slightly cut off.

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
I am getting so frustrated by all of this. My documents were approved complete april 29th and am still waiting. Spoke to them last week and today and the supervisor said all offers have been on hold since last friday.
You gotta be kidding me right ? You logged on to the portal on April 28th when it first opened,uploaded all your documents and the following day(April 29) you were approved? I'm happy as a Pig in $hit for you dude; but I think many of us here are being raked over the coals... I don't get it???

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Has anyone doing a lease termination got further than green check marks (step 15) yet?
Finally !!!!! Someone who is leasing .... Praise the Lord... No sir ! I am still at step 15... Documents submitted and under review... Everything submitted April 29 @ 9:30 am.... Spoke to rep last Saturday May 6. and told me that if I don't hear anything by end of this week to call in. Well, I'm calling in tomorrow afternoon, hopefully they have some sort of information....
Just a question to anyone that's doing a lease return... I was not asked to upload my lease agreement... Anyone else in the same boat as me?
Only my ownership/registration (front & back)and Ontario Drivers Licence . That's it... Three documents to review... Why is this so hard ???

Not Happy With VW

TDI
Jetta TDI
Good thing I did call back in on my way home, after waiting on hold for 45 minutes, I got told one of my green check mark documents was rejected on May 3rd. The very bottom of my bill of sale was missing and they were worried that I some how had registered and licensed the vehicle for the last 3 years but the sales transaction had been voided and thats why the picture was cut off at the bottom.

I asked why I never received an email or why on May 8th when I called in I was not told this, the supervisor I talked to apologized and said he would unlock and set me back to the document stage and I could re upload the whole document and he would personalty get things approved tonight before he goes home. I said ok, and hung up.

Well an hour later he still hasn't unlocked my account, so I can't upload the damned bill of sale.

I encourage each and everyone of you to call in every couple of days, as they clearly can't manage this on their own.
So I talked to yet another supervisor, who confirmed with me that they are not even tracking any calls. I swear I am going to be on a first name basis with the entire staff of Ricepoint before this is over.

This guy said he would put me back to step 13 and I would have to upload all the documents again, I waited on the phone this time and verified. He also said that he was sending an email to the group sending the offers to put me back in line as though my documents were completed May 3. I am currently back on step 15 with the blue eyes.

Will see what tomorrow brings...

Lorentz

TDI
NMS passat 2013
Filled my document on the 29th for both my cars. Document where still in review today, so I called to know if at least my document where ok. She said that there was an issue with both finance document. She sent me via email while on the phone what I needed and ask if I received itand also put me back to step 13 so I could download the new document.

It's like they put case on hold if document are wrong. Hope it will be faster after that.

richyrich

TDI
Finally !!!!! Someone who is leasing .... Praise the Lord... No sir ! I am still at step 15... Documents submitted and under review... Everything submitted April 29 @ 9:30 am.... Spoke to rep last Saturday May 6. and told me that if I don't hear anything by end of this week to call in. Well, I'm calling in tomorrow afternoon, hopefully they have some sort of information....
Just a question to anyone that's doing a lease return... I was not asked to upload my lease agreement... Anyone else in the same boat as me?
Only my ownership/registration (front & back)and Ontario Drivers Licence . That's it... Three documents to review... Why is this so hard ???
Absolutely, I don't seem to come across many lease people either! Are you going to do an early termination?

I didn't have to submit my lease agreement. I'm sure the VIN is plenty for them to connect with VW Finance and get details, assuming you leased with them.

My documents just changed to "Complete" today so I'm waiting for the next steps. I originally submitted on the first day but had to get set back and re-submit after calling and being told a rejection was pending on my ownership pic. It would be worth you calling in - if there is an issue I think it has to get verified/processed before it's communicated to you/the portal. If you call, they can see any pending rejection. Alternatively maybe yours is just taking longer - it's not clear what the processing order is, if anything.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Portal lag? Just got this email, a week after everything went green. I saw it on my iPhone and logged into the portal only to see I was still at step 15...

We have reviewed the documents you submitted as part of your claim with reference number number 170425XYZ. Currently, your application contains all of the necessary documentation to determine your eligibility. We are now determining your eligibility and will inform you whether you are eligible to participate in the Volkswagen/Audi 2.0-Litre TDI Emissions Settlement Program in Canada.

Last edited:

dabestgoat

TDI
2014 Jetta Trendline+ 6MT
Loan Forgiveness + Fix?

Hi All,
I'm in a situation where any buy back or trade is not really worth while right now for my 2014 Jetta (Vehicle Value + Damages $ is < $3000 than current VW financing). No car on the market can get my cost/km except the volt - but i'll be :mad: if Govt. of Ontario is getting any more electricity $ off me to just sell it off but that is another kettle of fish :D
It's not clear to me how my vehicle value will depreciate over the next year (or will it?) while we wait for what is likely the fix to never come. Is the quoted value we are receiving on the settlement site what the value will continue to be going forward, as long as you operate under the provided conditions?
I'm surprised so many 2014/2015 TDI owners are willing to give up their cars up so soon considering regular is trending at least 7 cents higher than Diesel now and the fix has to not negatively impact performance within a very small margin.
The Jetta TSI has a 5 litre smaller tank and apparently gets only average 750km/tank of gasoline? Can anyone provide some reliable, real world TDI vs TSI where ~80% is highway and ~20% is local?
Thinking forward to inevitable trade in 2018... :(

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Absolutely, I don't seem to come across many lease people either! Are you going to do an early termination?

I didn't have to submit my lease agreement. I'm sure the VIN is plenty for them to connect with VW Finance and get details, assuming you leased with them.

My documents just changed to "Complete" today so I'm waiting for the next steps. I originally submitted on the first day but had to get set back and re-submit after calling and being told a rejection was pending on my ownership pic. It would be worth you calling in - if there is an issue I think it has to get verified/processed before it's communicated to you/the portal. If you call, they can see any pending rejection. Alternatively maybe yours is just taking longer - it's not clear what the processing order is, if anything.
Good morning,
Yep, just checked this am once again and still no movement. I'll definitely give them a call once I get home this afternoon, don't want to call from the car as I usually get put on hold for 35 mins. As far as the early lease termination. My commute has changed, working much closer to home, and in the winter the short drives especially at 3:00 am when I'm on emergency on call are not to friendly on the car. It's a great car, don't get me wrong, not much will touch it when it comes to fuel economy, but in my situation I think returning it early is the best solution. Please keep us posted on your progress. Hopefully, I can get some answers today.
Cheers,

uchu

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Highline - in VW's possession
Anyone know anything about what's happening with the 3.0L's yet?
The court hearing for the settlement of 3.0L engines is happening today...in the USA! So, I'd say that'd be still a few months away until is done in Canada, if we go by the timelines of the 2.0 engines.

icecoaster

TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
How solid are these appointment dates I'm hearing about? I hear of people with turn-in appointments in May. This surprises me and I'm skeptical after all the delays.

richyrich

TDI
How solid are these appointment dates I'm hearing about? I hear of people with turn-in appointments in May. This surprises me and I'm skeptical after all the delays.
I expect they are totally solid. The dealerships will have one or more people dedicated to running them and a standard process to follow for each one. Should be like clockwork, but it probably depends on your dealer...

jtoolman

TDI
Passat 2013, Jetta 2014
Hi All,
I'm in a situation where any buy back or trade is not really worth while right now for my 2014 Jetta (Vehicle Value + Damages $ is < $3000 than current VW financing). No car on the market can get my cost/km except the volt - but i'll be :mad: if Govt. of Ontario is getting any more electricity $ off me to just sell it off but that is another kettle of fish :D
It's not clear to me how my vehicle value will depreciate over the next year (or will it?) while we wait for what is likely the fix to never come. Is the quoted value we are receiving on the settlement site what the value will continue to be going forward, as long as you operate under the provided conditions?
I'm surprised so many 2014/2015 TDI owners are willing to give up their cars up so soon considering regular is trending at least 7 cents higher than Diesel now and the fix has to not negatively impact performance within a very small margin.
The Jetta TSI has a 5 litre smaller tank and apparently gets only average 750km/tank of gasoline? Can anyone provide some reliable, real world TDI vs TSI where ~80% is highway and ~20% is local?
I also have a Jetta 2014 with a loan. I'm keeping it untill the warantie finish in june 2018 since the car doesn`t loose value, except for the real market value. if i trade today i would get 18 816$ +5959$ (sorry money), same amounts if i do the trade in june 2018. So it's like driving a car for free for one year.

My friend have a Jetta 2017 TSI 1.4 and she told me that the best she have done is 925 km with one tank. But she do mostly highway.

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Really discouraging ... not only from RicePoint, but not even the lawyers or court I guess monitor how RicePoint's process on-boarding has gone in the first 12 days or so????

I've called the lawyers two days ago, no call returned. Will try again today ...

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I had a Mk VI Golf TDI. Real world under similar conditions that you quote, was about 5.0 L/100 km average (in summer). My 2016 Golf TSI, real world, 6-6.1 L/100 km (also summer). On the highway, 5.6 with the TSI, 4.6 with the TDI. So factor in about 1 L/100 km more for the TSI. Right now RUG is a few cents cheaper than diesel where I live (near the US border, so we buy our gas in Sutton which is a few cents cheaper than elsewhere) and all winter diesel was considerably more expensive than RUG, so I expect the difference in operating cost would be minimal though I haven't tracked it.

You're correct, the fuel capacity on the TSI is 5 L less (at least on the Golf, not sure about the Jetta). If you were doing a straight highway drive at 100 km/h you MIGHT squeeze 900 out of a tank, 800 for sure. 750 tops in "normal" driving, but I usually end up filling at around 600-700 simply out of convenience and the desire to start any trip over 100 km on a full tank. However since I'm retired now I don't mind so much, my driving has gone from nearly 45k a year to 22k a year (which is a bit above average but that's the problem with living in a rural area, you have to drive just to pick up a litre of milk... a walk "around the block" for me is 8 km)

The Golf has the 1.8 TSI in all models, while the Jetta has the 1.4 in the lower trims. I suspect the 1.4 would do maybe 0.2-0.4 better, but I have no real world experience with it.

Keep in mind I drive for efficiency, that is, cruise at 105 km/h (same speed as the trucks, so minimizes passing/being passed by trucks), lots of coasting to stops, anticipating lights, and absolutely NO tailgating, and trying to keep a large gap in front in heavy traffic to minimize braking. I did that with my TDI as well, with the result above. Add about 0.8-1.0 L/100 km in winter depending on weather.

So far I'm extremely pleased with the 1.8 TSI. Quieter, smoother and quicker than a TDI, and reasonably efficient for a gasser. Like a TDI, it is easy to beat the official estimates with this engine.

Kenshin

TDI
A3 TDI
Really discouraging ... not only from RicePoint, but not even the lawyers or court I guess monitor how RicePoint's process on-boarding has gone in the first 12 days or so????

I've called the lawyers two days ago, no call returned. Will try again today ...

It's really discouraging how little information we are getting now, and how poor the communication has been since the settlement was approved by the courts. If it wasn't for this site I probably would have been informed about the settlement. The settlement site never sent me that notification update mail that I signed up for, no snail mail either. Now we sit in the dark waiting to find out when our applications will be looked at.

Swatch

Veteran Member
TDI
BUYBACK : Golf Sportwagen TDi 2010
I had a Mk VI Golf TDI. Real world under similar conditions that you quote, was about 5.0 L/100 km average (in summer). My 2016 Golf TSI, real world, 6-6.1 L/100 km (also summer). On the highway, 5.6 with the TSI, 4.6 with the TDI. So factor in about 1 L/100 km more for the TSI. Right now RUG is a few cents cheaper than diesel where I live (near the US border, so we buy our gas in Sutton which is a few cents cheaper than elsewhere) and all winter diesel was considerably more expensive than RUG, so I expect the difference in operating cost would be minimal though I haven't tracked it.
You're correct, the fuel capacity on the TSI is 5 L less (at least on the Golf, not sure about the Jetta). If you were doing a straight highway drive at 100 km/h you MIGHT squeeze 900 out of a tank, 800 for sure. 750 tops in "normal" driving, but I usually end up filling at around 600-700 simply out of convenience and the desire to start any trip over 100 km on a full tank. However since I'm retired now I don't mind so much, my driving has gone from nearly 45k a year to 22k a year (which is a bit above average but that's the problem with living in a rural area, you have to drive just to pick up a litre of milk... a walk "around the block" for me is 8 km)
The Golf has the 1.8 TSI in all models, while the Jetta has the 1.4 in the lower trims. I suspect the 1.4 would do maybe 0.2-0.4 better, but I have no real world experience with it.
Keep in mind I drive for efficiency, that is, cruise at 105 km/h (same speed as the trucks, so minimizes passing/being passed by trucks), lots of coasting to stops, anticipating lights, and absolutely NO tailgating, and trying to keep a large gap in front in heavy traffic to minimize braking. I did that with my TDI as well, with the result above. Add about 0.8-1.0 L/100 km in winter depending on weather.
So far I'm extremely pleased with the 1.8 TSI. Quieter, smoother and quicker than a TDI, and reasonably efficient for a gasser. Like a TDI, it is easy to beat the official estimates with this engine.
I had almost 9L/100km with wagon TSI 4MOTION during a 2 days test drive. I was very disapointed, it's worse than some VUS.

It's not the only reason why I decided not to buy another wagon but was a a big turn-off. Finally choose the buy-back as you already know.

Send me a message when your documents will be approved, it will save me some times!!!

Last edited:

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I had almost 9L/100km with wagon TSI 4MOTION during a 2 days test drive. I was very disapointed, it's worse than some VUS.

It's not the only reason why I decided not to buy another wagon but was a a big turn-off. Finally choose the buy-back as you already know.

Send me a message when your documents will be approved, it will save me some times!!!
Well my initial documents have been approved (ID, ownership and bill of sale). Now waiting for offer.

Yes the 4Motion will be much thirstier. We're getting another wagon but not 4motion, just the regular front-wheel drive Trendline with the Connectivity + package (multi-function steering wheel and Apple CarPlay). It should be similar to my hatchback. I don't really need AWD based on my many years of living on a rural dirt road in Quebec.

Swatch

Veteran Member
TDI
BUYBACK : Golf Sportwagen TDi 2010
Well my initial documents have been approved (ID, ownership and bill of sale). Now waiting for offer.
Yes the 4Motion will be much thirstier. We're getting another wagon but not 4motion, just the regular front-wheel drive Trendline with the Connectivity + package (multi-function steering wheel and Apple CarPlay). It should be similar to my hatchback. I don't really need AWD based on my many years of living on a rural dirt road in Quebec.
OMG, didn't know your documents were approved? When? And what did you do?

I finally sent my documents on friday APril 28th at 21:30. Still not approved... :mad:

KARKS

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon TDI 2012
Update - I had my documents approved on May 5th after several escalations and issues with Ricepoint (see my other posts) and still waiting for the offer letter. Again gave them the opportunity of time from May 5th to today.

Called RicePoint and reached Natasha. This would be the first person I reached that provided information, was clear and articulate. I asked for an update on the progress of the offer letter - her question - Did you complete your submission on the portal on the 28th, 29th or 30th? She then said there are issues with these deals due to technical issues on those dates.

She then advised she would escalate my concern and looked into my "file" she had a lot of detail and information - Letter created May 5th, first Review May 5th, final letter created and pending final approval May 5th. She created an escalation, provided her name and escalation document number if I wanted to follow-up.

I suggest calling and speaking with RicePoint if you submitted on the above dates. Ask for an escalation for the delays and ask for an escalation document number. My Number is 4 digits long.

This is a frustrating process, but by calling we are keeping them on track and bringing issues to their attention to help resolve.

Glad to read that others have received offer letters and confirmed appointments.

Kritof613

TDI
2014 Jetta
Update - I had my documents approved on May 5th after several escalations and issues with Ricepoint (see my other posts) and still waiting for the offer letter. Again gave them the opportunity of time from May 5th to today.

Called RicePoint and reached Natasha. This would be the first person I reached that provided information, was clear and articulate. I asked for an update on the progress of the offer letter - her question - Did you complete your submission on the portal on the 28th, 29th or 30th? She then said there are issues with these deals due to technical issues on those dates.

She then advised she would escalate my concern and looked into my "file" she had a lot of detail and information - Letter created May 5th, first Review May 5th, final letter created and pending final approval May 5th. She created an escalation, provided her name and escalation document number if I wanted to follow-up.

I suggest calling and speaking with RicePoint if you submitted on the above dates. Ask for an escalation for the delays and ask for an escalation document number. My Number is 4 digits long.

This is a frustrating process, but by calling we are keeping them on track and bringing issues to their attention to help resolve.

Glad to read that others have received offer letters and confirmed appointments.
What number did you use to call ricepoint?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Steve Ferrous

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI, 2011 Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI (gone), 2000 Jetta TDI (gone), 1991 Diesel Jetta (gone)
First, I'm a charter member of the Friday Forgotten.
I talked with a very nice and polite person.
As others have stated (KARKS) they had a problem with filers on the 28, 29 and 30th.
They have setup a special team to address these.
They had over 12k submissions in this time frame so they have a lot.
They work on first come, first serve - but the technical glitch (ha! it's usually not technical but process issues)but this group is an exception.
I asked if they had a communication strategy to inform people (no).
So for those in this group, you have not been missed or forgotten - they are working through the list.
For me, I'm comforted to know that I'm in the queue and not dropped, or missed. They should get out in front of this by communicating to their customers.
There is a message on the emission site: "UPDATE: We are aware of an issue with the Claims Portal for the 2.0L TDI settlement and are working to resolve this as quickly as possible." Fer crying out loud what type of message is that? How about some specifics? Some re-assurance?
There it is for what it's worth.
I'm in no rush (2018 doesn't come until September) but- Patience

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
OMG, didn't know your documents were approved? When? And what did you do?
I finally sent my documents on friday APril 28th at 21:30. Still not approved... :mad:
Yesterday! I called on Monday to complain, and it was escalated to a supervisor, the agent I spoke to admitted that it shouldn't take nearly two weeks to approve the documents. Finally got them approved early yesterday afternoon.

I was part of the Friday Forgotten as I filed on Friday evening. Anyone in that bunch should definitely call and complain.

Thoiry

TDI
2015 Golf TDI - gone
For your info, we submitted the documents for the wife's TDI on Sunday (May 7) afternoon. They have reviewed the documents today (May 11) and all documents were flagged with green mark checks this morning. Will see how long it will take for them to decide the eligibility and give the offer.

We waited one week to submit the claim because as an IT guy I knew there must be some bugs with the system and my good practice is always to wait some time for others to try first. LOL.