Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
I know I said I was going to move on but this quote was just too rich for me to ignore.

"this settlement responds to the concerns raised by our clients and we are pleased that it will now be implemented." Harvey Strosberg, a partner at Strosberg Sasso Sutts LLP and one of the lead counsel, stated.

Translation: "We had to go through and then justify ignoring hundreds of objections from dissatisfied clients so that we would be able to settle and collect our fee."

dwfdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf & 2012 Golf wagon, 1998 GMC 6.5 with 310,000km
I know I said I was going to move on but this quote was just too rich for me to ignore.

"this settlement responds to the concerns raised by our clients and we are pleased that it will now be implemented." Harvey Strosberg, a partner at Strosberg Sasso Sutts LLP and one of the lead counsel, stated.

Translation: "We had to go through and then justify ignoring hundreds of objections from dissatisfied clients so that we would be able to settle and collect our fee."
Obviously what was holding up the settlement the $49,975 fee was too low but like award for TDi they did not budge.

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
if anyone gets the list of documentation we need to have ready, I'd appreciate the list,
license, title ,lender if any and banking accounts?

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
I really don't know what the $49,975 "honourarium" was about but that's pocket change, not their fee.
Maybe add a couple of zeroes to that number ??? Not sure what an"honourarium" is...maybe the Starbucks bill ?

ElectricMayhem

Veteran Member
TDI
None!
Probably you know this, but I think the honorarium is for the people who allowed their names to appear on the lawsuit. There was probably quite a lot of work involved for them, so they likely deserve it.

sooochilled

TDI
2010 UG TDI Manuel
So it got approved, but there's still no fix for gen 1, does anyone have any dates for the dealine on this?

I would do the buyback or trade in but those arnt applicable to me as the eligible buyer. Hm.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
Probably you know this, but I think the honorarium is for the people who allowed their names to appear on the lawsuit. There was probably quite a lot of work involved for them, so they likely deserve it.
No, I didn't know that. That makes sense.

But it was much more fun speculating about the things that the class lawyers might have thought they were entitled to.

flyboy320

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 e-Golf
How would it work if I wanted to trade in my fully owned Golf for a lease on a new Golf? Take the payment VW will give me, say the fair market value is $12,000, the VW calculator is saying $17,000 and the additional payment of about $5,200, how does this get applied to say a 3 year lease? Would I just pocket all that money, or can it all be applied to the cost of the new car to reduce the monthly lease payments?

I'm thinking of the new e-golf and would prefer to lease rather than buy outright at this time.

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
How would it work if I wanted to trade in my fully owned Golf for a lease on a new Golf? Take the payment VW will give me, say the fair market value is $12,000, the VW calculator is saying $17,000 and the additional payment of about $5,200, how does this get applied to say a 3 year lease? Would I just pocket all that money, or can it all be applied to the cost of the new car to reduce the monthly lease payments?

I'm thinking of the new e-golf and would prefer to lease rather than buy outright at this time.
I would think, you'd get all of your money back from VW; then once that's finalized sit down and see what their offering for leases. On any lease it's been my understanding there's a minimum down payment plus security deposit... If you want really low monthly payments then unfortunately you'd be forking over a lot of cash that you'll never get back at end of lease if you intend to walk away,if you plan on buying at the end of lease... well that's another can of worms. Good luck...

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
I would think, you'd get all of your money back from VW; then once that's finalized sit down and see what their offering for leases. On any lease it's been my understanding there's a minimum down payment plus security deposit... If you want really low monthly payments then unfortunately you'd be forking over a lot of cash that you'll never get back at end of lease if you intend to walk away,if you plan on buying at the end of lease... well that's another can of worms. Good luck...
I think they can apply the fair market value (not the buyback amount) amount to the lease cost the lease is based on and to reduce the gst/hst paid. That would save the the tax on that amount. If you want to put any more cash down from your VW money or otherwise, you'd have to pay sales tax on that extra amount. That's how it should be done, just not sure if VW Finance does it that way by policy.

I also think you could pocket all your VW money and finance 100%. On approved credit.

Suggest what I said above to the dealer and see what they say, then decide.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
I'll be curious to see:

1. How fast the appointments get booked after the applications start getting filed
2. Will the real buyback amount mirror the numbers in the CBB calculator

Maybe we can all post this information as it happens to us.

Make sure you get an update on the CBB number when you file.

Maybe we'll get a new sticky for Canadians with this as the thread topic?
Don

SylQuebec

TDI
JEtta 2009
I think i'm probably the only one here with the buyback amount lower than the real value before september 2015...$2600... lol thats really stupid.
I'm thinking of taking the $5000 and keeping my tdi...
I suppose they will gone up in price a bit after all the buyback.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
So it got approved, but there's still no fix for gen 1, does anyone have any dates for the dealine on this?

I would do the buyback or trade in but those arnt applicable to me as the eligible buyer. Hm.
I assume you meant eligible purchaser?

Eligible owners have all options open (assuming an approved fix eventually).

callandertdi

TDI
2012 Golf wgn highline mt
Now the question is " how do I get my un-licensed TDI back to the dealer when the day arrives". New car purchased last week and parked the VW for the duration with no plates or insurance.
VW roadside assistance ?

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Now the question is " how do I get my un-licensed TDI back to the dealer when the day arrives". New car purchased last week and parked the VW for the duration with no plates or insurance.
VW roadside assistance ?

I'd start by stop asking stupid questions :rolleyes: and then get an A-B temporary permit the day of.

Please do not let this thread become Canadian VW TDI Owners 2.0!!

Last edited:

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
VW roadside assistance ?
Yep, roadside assistance, graciously provided by VW, is what I'd use? :)

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
VW roadside assistance ?
A tow truck ... one way or another. If you have a roadside assistance program of some sort that will work with this, great ... just call them and set it up. If that doesn't work - Call towing companies. A non-emergency cash-paid tow that doesn't involve crash recovery or police ordering the tow may not be all that expensive.

ElectricMayhem

Veteran Member
TDI
None!
Are there any good financial reasons I shouldn't just drive this car until Sept 2018? I only have 90k km on it and it has been a reliable car for me. Not expecting any huge repairs.

It is very easy to catch new car fever, and I'd love to have a new vehicle, but I think the most prudent strategy is to make a claim on the last day.

DRfez

TDI
Golf
The easy solution is called "dealer plates". Borrow from your dealer's dealer plates they use for test drives. If you bought a car from them I m sure they will let you borrow them for a quick trip from home to the dealership.

ElectricMayhem

Veteran Member
TDI
None!
I don't think a dealer is going to be too enthusiastic about lending out plates. I think they are also lending you their insurance, and it would probably turn out that the insurance would be void if anything happened.

You can get a special permit (trip permit) from MTO for $23. It is valid for 10 days. You will need to call your insurance company and buy insurance for the trip. $10?

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't think a dealer is going to be too enthusiastic about lending out plates. I think they are also lending you their insurance, and it would probably turn out that the insurance would be void if anything happened.

You can get a special permit (trip permit) from MTO for $23. It is valid for 10 days. You will need to call your insurance company and buy insurance for the trip. $10?
What he said.... Those things cost dealers a lot of money... and yes insurance goes along with them . On a different note CAA tow truck driver gave me a hard time one time when I needed my "unplated " vehicle towed to a body shop, the guy thought something was up. After a quick phone call he changed his mind...but definitely yes, VW roadside asst your best bet.....

dsldub

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Wagon TDI
The easy solution is called "dealer plates". Borrow from your dealer's dealer plates they use for test drives. If you bought a car from them I m sure they will let you borrow them for a quick trip from home to the dealership.

Yep, dealer plates or no deal, that simple. Mind you, we all have VW roadside for now, so I'd use that first.

bpopman

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI and 2015 TDI
2015 tdi highline auto Y/N?

$8500 off cash price..have my deposit down

Should I pull the trigger or walk away back my '03 TDI?

Anybody getter any other items throw in, further reduction of price?

Will parts become an issue longterm if they stop selling in Canada?

Thanks,

Last edited: