Diesel Revolution

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Well, my 2000 Jetta has over 234k miles on it and is still running strong with no issues. Although I recently retired and the number of miles I drive will go down as my daily 84 mile commute is over, each fill-up is staying at or above the life time average... see signature!

Now, its understandable that some maintenance issues are not too far around the corner. But, most of them should be relatively inexpensive compared to monthly car payments. Also, there is the added benefit of lower property tax on an older car. I still maintain full coverage insurance, however, that cost is lower than for a new vehicle.

Since my first VW diesel, Janaury 1980, I have enjoyed the lower price of diesel vs RUG for many years. So, I consider the current prices a bump in the road. I am an optimist believing that an alternative fuel for the diesel engine at a very competitive price is not far away.

My intention is to hang in and be loyal to the engine I have come to really appreciate !

My two cents worth!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Not mentioned in the article is that the Touareg TDI and the Audi Q7 TDI will be getting a brother next year: the Porsche Cayenne TDI.

matt30

TDI
None...yet
54,000 miles isn't too bad in the worst case senario for cost recovery vs a gasser jetta.

Esspecially compared to the other v-8 and v-10 monsters on that list.

donfromnaples

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 New Beetle Blue and 2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagon
Of course it all depends on the price gap between diesel and RUG. I really just don't like the 2.5 L base gas engine so I wouldn't even consider it an option. The 2.0T is a sweet motor that has even more potential both performance-wise and economy-wise.

RoundHouse

Veteran Member
AndyBees said:
I am an optimist believing that an alternative fuel for the diesel engine at a very competitive price is not far away.

/quote]

never happen.

They could sell the alt fuel for twenty five cents less than diesel and sell all they can make.

So the alt fuel will never be any cheaper than diesel, at least not enough to matter.

RoundHouse

Veteran Member
matt30 said:
54,000 miles isn't too bad in the worst case senario for cost recovery vs a gasser jetta.
Thats paying full retail new.

3 yr old gasser VW's sell for 1/2 MSRP at an auction, while a 3 yr old tdi brings almost MSRP.

If you're buying a Toyota pickup or Mini Cooper or Tdi, you might as well buy new, but anything else, you can get a steep discount a couple of years later at an auction..

matt30

TDI
None...yet
I think blended fuels, like the kind they have in france, offer a better alternative than to just switch wholesale to alternatives fuels for diesel.

BaronofHell

TDI
Jetta, 2002, Black
RoundHouse said:
Thats paying full retail new.

3 yr old gasser VW's sell for 1/2 MSRP at an auction, while a 3 yr old tdi brings almost MSRP.

If you're buying a Toyota pickup or Mini Cooper or Tdi, you might as well buy new, but anything else, you can get a steep discount a couple of years later at an auction..
seriously?? I bought my 02' jetta in 2003 with 14k on it for $6k less then msrp.