Diesel mechanic near New Orleans, LA

Stevie

TDI
2000 Beetle 1.9TDI
I just bought a 2000 Beetle TDI for the daily commute to work. After the 2nd fuelup, I noticed the fuel economy is not too great. I am only getting around 35mpg doing mostly highway. The car has 120,000 miles and I expect it has a dirty intake, bad maf, a bad filter or something of the sorts. Does anybody know a diesel whiz in the S-LA area that can help me out? Thanks, Steve.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
ninedee_golf_tdi said:
5 speed or auto ?
good catch!

I've also seen a bad cooling fan help that out... 35mpg is pretty good for an automatic IMHO.

Stevie

TDI
2000 Beetle 1.9TDI
It's an automatic (I knew they consume more but didn't know how much more). I assumed something was wrong since everybody posts these incredible mpg values (a lot of times 50+mpg), and I ended up at 35mpg. Do you guys think this is normal fuel consumption for a Beetle like mine?

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
Stevie said:
It's an automatic (I knew they consume more but didn't know how much more). I assumed something was wrong since everybody posts these incredible mpg values (a lot of times 50+mpg), and I ended up at 35mpg. Do you guys think this is normal fuel consumption for a Beetle like mine?
I'm sure a little intake cleaning, and filter changing couldnt hurt.

For better economy consider a chip/intake/exhaust.

inveSTigator

Veteran Member
TDI
06.5 DSG Jetta TDI
Stevie,
My average is currently at 37.5 mpg mixed, but I drive pretty fast, (okay, very fast), get stuck in stop and go traffic daily, and run the AC a bunch! So, you may not be very far off, but you should check out the things the the other folks mentioned.

When I try to get good fuel economy, I do. It's nothing to get into the high 40's on a trip with proper driving technique.

~David

broundtree

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS 5sp TDI, Reflex Silver, M1 0W40
Stevie,
Welcome to diesels. I commute Houma to Gretna daily, perform most of my own maintenance and have Vag-Com software for pulling any trouble codes you may get. If you want to peep into the intake to assess clogging, EGR removal is very easy. I've got 123k right now and have cleaned the intake twice and already replaced bad MAF and failed EGR. If I can help you out in the future, just give me a shout....

Last edited:

Brasil

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta wagon silver-Sold, now MINI Cooper S Clubman
I live in Baton Rouge-- the dealer, Southpoint has always been straightforward and friendly with service, although not always up to speed on TDI stuff-I make sure they use the right oil. It look like they did the timing belt right, I'm at 128K now.

They were very honest will my purchases of two TDIs over the years.

I just started using Moberly's (an independent VW service) and they seemed good, though I only have used them once.