Detroit 2009: Volkswagen Bluesport concept, turbodiesel done right

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Pelican18TQA4 said:
Only 2,600 lbs. and you think it needs to lose weight??
YES, ABSOLUTELY! Less weight = more fun and better economy!!

This is why more of you guys should be looking at the Smyth car build. You take your engine out of the front, put it in MR configuration. You can use the ALH motor so you have unprecedented economy and reliability. The final weight of the car will be in the neighborhood of 2200 pounds since you cut off so much of the car and replace the body with fiberglass.

The best part is that you get to do it all yourself!

(or you can ask me nicely... once I'm finished building mine I'll be happy to assist others and/or build your car for you...)

If you think you like 50mpg, just think how much you'll like 70mpg... because the lighter weight/reduced drag Smyth car will be easily capable of 70mpg, and I predict I will be getting 80-90mpg using pulse and glide... after fitting narrower tires running high pressure.

Take a look at the build pictures here on Facebook, I don't think you need to be a member or anything...
You can also check out the tdiclub Smyth Performance page by clicking on the link in my signature.

Smyth Performance Facebook Page

Last edited:

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
Smyth vs the Attack in terms of a kit car. What are the major differences beside the price?

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
What kind of interior does the Smyth have? (ie. seats, controls, etc. . .is the inside comparable to a regular car or is that an add on?)

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Driver_found said:
Smyth vs the Attack in terms of a kit car. What are the major differences beside the price?
For starters, the Smyth re-purposes the front 2/3 of a MKIV VW unibody, and the Attack has it's own frame. The Smyth will support the 1.8T, the 1.9TDI, the 2.slow, and the 2.8VR6.

I don't know the particulars of the K1, and the Smyth kit is still being developed, so it's hard to say much more than that. I suspect that since Factory Five cars have been fast as heck that this vehicle will be no exception. (I'm talking about handling... acceleration will depend on your motor)

You keep the dash/heat/ac/etc. The interior will look a lot like your donor MKIV, it's almost all the same.

The Smyth kit will come with new wheels/tires/suspension, full fiberglass body, and everything else you will need except for tools and motivation.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
A nice-looking car... but the article is from 12 months ago. Why are we discussing this now? Is there any recent news about this roadster?

mark smith

TDI
2000 jetta sedan, 2002 jettta wagon
takes about a year:)

I know you are talking about the bluesport TornadoRed but I figured I would follow manual tranny with a bit of mid engine news from the kit car front...The first post over on ffcars.com which is a factory fiver racing enthusiast forum was a year ago this month. I will be shipping the first smyth kits at the end of the summer and am sold into december. A year is not a long time from conversation to shipping:)

the story continues every day on www.facebook.com/smythperformance good times.

mark smith

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Quote: "When it comes to the powertrain, AutoExpress says that the sexy roadster will be available with the aforementioned 2.0-liter turbodiesel (producing 178 hp in production form)... Manual and dual-clutch six-speed transmissions will be available. The 2,650-pound vehicle is expected to shoot to 60 mph in around six seconds and offer combined fuel economy of around 45 mpg with the diesel powertrain."

Probably 300-350 lb/ft of torque... such fun!

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
258 lb.ft., if it's to be compatible with the MQ350 (manual) and DQ350 (DSG) transmissions. 350 refers to the rated torque in Nm. 258 lb.ft is the conversion of that.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Looks so much like a TT that it would be hard to imagine why VW won't build it. But then again, we thought that on a lot of other prototypes.

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI AUTOMATIC trans. GLS w/PLX package silver/black cloth
Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I find it really hard to believe that VW would bring it to the states with anything other than the current 2.0l 145 hp CRL diesel that we are running today. If they won't bring that engine over for the GTD, there's no way they'll do it with a drop top.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Disappointing news. I think this car could do well if priced right, especially with the MR2 gone.
Every decision is made based on estimates of what will happen to Audi and Porsche sales. But by this reasoning, every VW should be ugly -- so that those who want a beautiful car will have to buy an Audi or Porsche.

daniel_mad

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW Golf TDI 127hp
VW Axing the Bluesport? We need to spot them!

Soooo..

VW of America CEO Jonathan Browing, says he doesn't want another model diluting his model line. It's thanks to Browing that we dont have a GTD or a Scorroco in North America. He also says there isn't enough interest to upkeep a 50,000 unit annual sales figure for the car, which I believe is total BULL****! This car has the potential to drive the Mazda Miata(MX-5) sales into the ground!

Anyways, there's a movement on twitter for anyone who's thinking of attending the Toronto Auto Show. If you want to see the Bluesport live, drop by the VW booth and leave a peice of paper or your business card with "I WANT A BLUESPORT" written on the back. I think VW needs to know how badly we want this car! It's up to us to save it, not those heartless CEOs who only care about the bottom line.

Please, spread the word. Twitter, facebook, or Goggle+! The more the better!

Relating article can be found here

Last edited:

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
that's a shame because I was looking forward to a mid-life crisis car and that one fit me like a glove!

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
You think by petitioning it will make a slight bit off difference? VW did their market research and decided what they decided. Unless they can HEAVILY undercut the Miata's price, it will NOT drive the MX-5 into anything.

I personally couldn't care less about this car but I'm not a brand loyalist.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
The problem is VW outsources the market research to companies like Autodata. The results are heavily skewed by the domestic market. VW needs to fire Autodata and get real with market research.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Same reason the Golf R32 didn't make it here, same reason a LOT of cars don't make it here: minimal market penetration potential. So a hand-full of VW brand loyalists would like certain cars/models here; push come to shove, a LOT of people who would sign up saying they would like one of these cars here wouldn't shell out the $ to buy one. (yes, am painting with a wide brush, but you know it's true) VW is seen by many as a utilitarian car, or a car one can get if you want better than the "base" but can't afford the "upscale". What happened to the EOS? Probably the same thing that would happen to this.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
The problem is VW outsources the market research to companies like Autodata. The results are heavily skewed by the domestic market. VW needs to fire Autodata and get real with market research.

What proof do you base this on?