Dealership oil change question

willafb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI/2015 Golf SE
I had my 2015 Golf TDI in for its 60K service. I noticed the dealership added Wynn oil treatment. I didn't ask for the additional additive, they just without telling me. Trying to get a vibe if this Wynn oil treatment is bad or good bad thing, any thoughts?

Owners manual says not to add any oil additive. My thinking is at almost $10 quart, the oil should been formulated with adequate additives.

Please let me know what you all think, thanks.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I would take it back and ask them to show you where VW says to add it, then have them drain and refill with a new filter. I would then write a little note to VW Customer Care and attach a copy of the work order.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
That was pretty bold of them. They didn't charge extra I hope. I wouldn't feel bad about making them change the oil again if you don't feel you want or need the unauthorized upsale additive. Its an unauthorized additive.

willafb

Veteran Member
TDI
That was pretty bold of them. They didn't charge extra I hope. I wouldn't feel bad about making them change the oil again if you don't feel you want or need the unauthorized upsale additive. Its an unauthorized additive.
It was an additional $14

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If you want to bother I'd go with 1854sailor's advice. And stop going to the dealer for oil changes.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
With out your okey dokey, they by law have to eat the expense. Not to mention you may not have wanted it.

My question would be. ..does it contain ash??? That's why these TDIs must use 507 oil. Will they replace the DPF?

That's extreme but you get the point. I guess its a $14 bridge burner and really not worth the effort. Makes you wonder how they would handle a big customer pay?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Wynn's web site shows an oil treatment, but none for diesels. I'd take that to mean it's not recommended for diesels. I was going to post earlier that it's probably harmless, but looking at their web site I'd suggest you get it out of there.

willafb

Veteran Member
TDI
The dealership agreed to replace my oil this coming weekend at no charge... It's definitely a dealership generating additional money charging customers for additional additive, that's not needed IMHO.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
And make sure that they use VW 507 spec. oil...

The dealership agreed to replace my oil this coming weekend at no charge... It's definitely a dealership generating additional money charging customers for additional additive, that's not needed IMHO.

ssffnomad

Veteran Member
TDI
2015, GSW, S, TDI, 6MT. 5/2017
Dealership BS. Stand up for your self . Definitely contact VW & get a reply you can print and hang onto. Too many clowns not knowing their job .