Dealer overfilled oil - a LOT

barshnik

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE w/roof, nav
'09 JSW TDI, 80k miles.

I've done almost all oil changes, but since I needed the 80k service had the dealer do it (they actually gave me a decent deal on the 80k with DSG and rear brake pads - $1k.)

Drove it a few days, sometimes noticing a mild knock. Checked the oil, and level was 3 inches up the wire from the top of the plastic indicator. Used my Blackstone pump to drain a bit at a time from the dipstick tube. Finally, a quart and a half later, got the level right.

I've seen in the manual strict warnings about overfills, but what damage exactly can it do? I drove about 350 miles with the overfill. I'll call the dealer and complain, but I know their response will be "oh, sorry, but really no problem.)

One way this could happen is if they didn't change the filter and then just poured in all 5 quarts they charge for. That would put it about 1 1/2 quarts over. Of course, the filter is listed on the invoice for what that is worth (nothing?)

So, what could happen, and what else can I do? Thanks,

John F
LV NV

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
You want your money back and NEVER stop at that Dealer again.... Check the Filter!
Publish the Name!?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
'09 JSW TDI, 80k miles.
I've done almost all oil changes, but since I needed the 80k service had the dealer do it (they actually gave me a decent deal on the 80k with DSG and rear brake pads - $1k.)
Drove it a few days, sometimes noticing a mild knock. Checked the oil, and level was 3 inches up the wire from the top of the plastic indicator. Used my Blackstone pump to drain a bit at a time from the dipstick tube. Finally, a quart and a half later, got the level right.
I've seen in the manual strict warnings about overfills, but what damage exactly can it do? I drove about 350 miles with the overfill. I'll call the dealer and complain, but I know their response will be "oh, sorry, but really no problem.)
One way this could happen is if they didn't change the filter and then just poured in all 5 quarts they charge for. That would put it about 1 1/2 quarts over. Of course, the filter is listed on the invoice for what that is worth (nothing?)
So, what could happen, and what else can I do? Thanks,
John F
LV NV
Well first, I'd go back for a dinner and a kiss, because you sure got screwed.

Second, you clearly have the ability to drain some oil out if you've done so thus far, why not just correct the oil level?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Yeah my dealer did that at our Passat's 30K service, too (in addition to spilling AdBlue everywhere). I checked the oil before pulling out of the service bay and sent it right back in to have the mechanic correct it. His statement was "oh, you want it at the top of the line?" My reply was "yes - at the full mark... not a half-inch above it." Idiots. :rolleyes:

CHECK THE OIL BEFORE LEAVING THE DEALERSHIP.

barshnik

Veteran Member
TDI
Findlay in Henderson, normally they are good. Of course I've corrected the level, but my question is what potential harm can come from a big time overfill like this?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Probably nothing. If it wasn't so overfilled as to cause smoke bellowing out the tailpipe, I'd not lose any sleep over it.

barshnik

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks oilhammer, I appreciate it. I did bring it back in and had them drain, new filter, fill with 507.00, and pull the intercooler hose to check for oil (very little / none). They realize they made a mistake and were really quite nice about it, did everything I asked, even took pics to show what was done. So, no complaints.

John F

kcunniff

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS BEW (5spd)
The filter canister holds roughly 0.5 L, so if they didn't change the filter, this alone would not account for your reported 1.5 L. Glad you corrected the level though.

TDI_Dan

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW 6M MKVII, 2011 Golf TDI 6M (bought back)
You want your money back and NEVER stop at that Dealer again.... Check the Filter!
Publish the Name!?
What good would that do unless they didn't put a filter in. The filter is going to be black if it is old or new, right? Maybe check to see that it isn't leaking. Oh, and did they spill oil on the white fabric mesh covered tube?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

TDI-JAY

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen 6M
What good would that do unless they didn't put a filter in. The filter is going to be black if it is old or new, right? Maybe check to see that it isn't leaking. Oh, and did they spill oil on the white fabric mesh covered tube?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
I spilled oil all over mine removing my oil filter. Least its me and I can't be mad. Tried to clean with brake cleaner - still stained. Doh'.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
The fact that they willfully replaced the oil filter would make me very concerned that they never changed it in the first place.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I spilled oil all over mine removing my oil filter. Least its me and I can't be mad. Tried to clean with brake cleaner - still stained. Doh'.

Try using mineral spirits. For the oil stain.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
The fact that they willfully replaced the oil filter would make me very concerned that they never changed it in the first place.
Nah, they charged him about $400 more than a fair price, they weren't losing sleep over an oil filter.

Story time. At my last oil change the mechanic put all five liters in, when I questioned him: "Yes I know the manual says 4.3L, however your dipstick didn't read 'Full' until I put in all five."

Now, I watched him check the dipstick and put in all five liters through the dealership's bay window...plus after a Google search of this forum, in another thread, a post by Oilhammer reassured me that an extra .7 liter wasn't anything to panic over. So I went home and sucked out 0.5L with some tubing I had.

No real point to that story, other than to share.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I'm guessing Desert VW?
That would have been my guess too, except that I know that John (Barshnik) had some rather serious "issues" with Desert when his car was nearly new. My question would have been was it Findlay in Henderson or Findlay North. I think Findlay North is actually closer to where John lives.
Findlay in Henderson has always treated me well, but I always watched them like a hawk. They were used to me checking the oil level before starting my engine after my "care free" services. All service after the "free" service has been done by me (I don't have a DSG).

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. John, if the overfill was enough to do damage, you would already know it. The damage would have been mostly immediate.