DeafBug's Beetle

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
Last Saturday, Don came over to my house to get his timing belt done. He had purchased a timing belt kit from TDIParts.com. I doubled checked the parts. And I was not pleased, for the second time in a row, I got the A3/B4 timing belt instead of the A4 belt.

So Don called the VW dealer and they had one in stock. We took my Bug instead of his Bug as I wanted it to cool off before I work on it as he drove over an hour to get to my house. So off to the dealership we left, we never made it there.

The story continues in this photo album

I am still in one piece although in a lot of pain. Don is doing great.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
How fast were you going? That's a pretty wide open stretch there.....Pretty scary roof crush. Not good!

ertzog

Veteran Member
TDI
2K Golf, 05 Sprinter 118
no airbag deployment?

the sensors must not work on the vertical (roof crush) axis.

glad you are ok (seatbelts saved you)... tough cars those bugs.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Another that's glad to see you're OK!! Haven't seen much from you for awhile. The bug looks a lot worse than when you were up and did the TB on my rollover project about a year and a half ago. Just curious, did the rear engine mount tab break off the block when things were flopping around like mine did?? I have put on about 19K trouble free since you did TB on that replacement engine. Very happy with it. Marc

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
glad y'all are OK. I was in a roll over once. Scary stuff. let me know what you're planning on doing with the car, my MKII is dying for ALH!

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
Denton T. Young said:
It will buff right out.
I was thinking more along the lines of, hacksaw each of the pillars, Install a ROPS and you got yourself a new convertible!

DeafBug

TDI
2001 NB
greengeeker said:
Why did you have to avoid the meter light? What intersection was this?

Glad to hear you're ok.
There was no property damage, just some grass ripped up. I looked away for about a second or a second and half, that is what you get. Now I made it part of the statistics for "People who don't understand until they experience it" I am not going to look away until I know it is safe.

The intersection is on the ramp. I never finished the ramp. If you go East on 694 and take the ramp to 169 South. It is a long ramp, first there is that soft 45 degree turn, then a short straightway, then a 45 degree turn. There was silver SUV (possible Cherokee) in front of me and a black car behind me along with several cars. Once I over corrected, it, I knew I was done for. I have read the articles too many times in the newspaper. Now I know what it feels like doing so. All the cars behind me pulled over, there was like 5 or 6 of them. I was amazed.

DeafBug

TDI
2001 NB
jasonTDI said:
How fast were you going? That's a pretty wide open stretch there.....Pretty scary roof crush. Not good!
I was with the group of cars going on the ramp. The speed was about 45-50 mph.

You know that commerical where they drop the car off of the school roof that is 3 stories high. They said that is equivelant to 40mph impact. Now I believe it.

DeafBug

TDI
2001 NB
ertzog said:
no airbag deployment?

the sensors must not work on the vertical (roof crush) axis.

glad you are ok (seatbelts saved you)... tough cars those bugs.
That surprise me about the airbags but then the entire front end is still intact. My door has no dents or anything just the roof caving in.

DeafBug

TDI
2001 NB
runonbeer said:
glad y'all are OK. I was in a roll over once. Scary stuff. let me know what you're planning on doing with the car, my MKII is dying for ALH!
I was told the insurance will give me two numbers, one to buy the car and give me a check for the remaining value of it. the other to let them buy the car from me and I get a check for it. Depending the amount, I haven't decide.

I am looking for a 2001-2003 Beetle as I still like A4s and the new changes on the later years of the Beetle with the A4 engines.

Last edited:

DeafBug

TDI
2001 NB
One thing I want to point out is that I strongly believe the seats saved my neck. So next time, someone complains about the dial style on the seat instead of the wimpy lever to lift so they can adjust the seat back, tell them, "It might just save your life" And I had the headrest set up a notch or two than normal.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
You are lucky the seats are strong and didn't break your neck.

catmandoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta gls tdi,91 2dr jetta gl n/a diesel
glad your ok thats a bummer, it was so young.they say things happen in 3's.mine happened this week also.my neighbors 17 yr old son was killed in an accident saturday,a co-worker just avoided a headon and took out the ford econoline van she was driving,and just today i had an old lady pull a left turn right in front of me and my 2000 jetta,it happened so fast my reactions were stomp on the brakes, swearve left,off the brakes swearve right and i just caught the back of her van,and i mean just,all it did was rub off some paint on the bumper cover,it will buff out.man it could have been lots worse if there would have been someone next to me.i probably would have found out what an airbag feels like.this car totally surprised me at just how agile it is.i have found one more thing to love about this car.if you would be interested in an older one theres a couple down here in iowa that might be bought pretty decent.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Oh man I hate hate hate accidents. Not just the physical pain, but the loss of propertly. REally glad your ok.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Wow! Amazing pics--glad you made it through in one piece. Once again I'm reminded to stick with German cars and never let my friends get Chinese cars...
Best of luck with a replacement!
-BB

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
BleachedBora said:
Wow! Amazing pics--glad you made it through in one piece. Once again I'm reminded to stick with German cars and never let my friends get Chinese cars...
Best of luck with a replacement!
-BB
Best of luck with a replacement, too.

As for the video, that particular model will hopefully be rejected by the rest of the world - that car's design is just plain unsafe, and I don't see how seatbelts or airbags can help there.

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Sad to see that a fellow long time forum member got into an accident. At least it is only bent metal and not broken humans....good luck with finding a suitable replacement bug!

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Another question: Last time I saw you, your beetle was more of a toolbox than a car. How many tools were in it when you rolled? Did any of them become airborn?

Last edited: