Cruze Diesel is rated at 52 mpg highway in stick version, 37 mpg combined

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
(complete with good clutch feel and decent synchros/shift gating)..................
I have no idea what all the mumbo jumbo means, but I have no issue with the way my Cruze shifts or the way the clutch feels.

I guess maybe I'm just not as anal as some???

My only issue is I now keep trying to put my ALH in a non-existent 6th gear.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
It's the Cruze, not the Malibu. Different car.

On that note, they will likely snag some VW deserters with the manual trans offer. If I was sticking with a sedan, I would likely consider this as well. Since I want to move back into an SUV/CUV, I'll be holding off until VW releases more information on the two new models coming out in the next year or so. I bought the Q5 just to have something to drive until then.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Ok so they do not call it a wagon. I guess better than just a sedan version. I presume the cargo volume will be smaller than the 2015 Golf SportWagen.
Looks similar sized to the Golf, not the sportswagen.

srs5694

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, MT
FWIW, when I bought my 2017 Chevy Volt, the salesperson said they'd been seeing a lot of VW diesel owners come in looking at the Volt as a potential replacement. Maybe that was just salesperson baloney, but if any automaker is not looking at the VW debacle as a way to pick up sales, they're idiots. (Well, OK, maybe some exotic manufacturers might not see much potential gain. I doubt if many people will be trading in TDIs for Teslas, for instance.)

TDINJ

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer own one.
I've read somewhere on here from an article someone posted that GM is excited to fill the void left with VW exiting the diesel car market. Not sure that'll happen unless they offer diesel in more than just the Chevy Cruze and Equinox. How about Malibu and Impala - then we're talking!

Last edited:

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
( I doubt if many people will be trading in TDIs for Teslas, for instance.)
Speak for yourself. I personally know one TDI owner who has a deposit down on a Tesla Model 3 and there probably will be more of them in time doing the same.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Speak for yourself. I personally know one TDI owner who has a deposit down on a Tesla Model 3 and there probably will be more of them in time doing the same.
My son and my wife test drove an X and a Sedan the other day and my son has a deposit on a 3

Last edited:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I have no idea what all the mumbo jumbo means, but I have no issue with the way my Cruze shifts or the way the clutch feels.

I guess maybe I'm just not as anal as some???

My only issue is I now keep trying to put my ALH in a non-existent 6th gear.
I haven't driven a Cruze with a manual transmission but I've driven a Spark with a manual transmission (rental car in Mexico). The clutch was OK, but the shift lever was pretty vague and rubbery.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Chevy going after me with the diesel Cruze and Equinox* is worse than futile after our NMS Passat. Might as well try a fuel cell powered Mini Clubman.

*Cruze is far too small, and I've driven an Equinox as a loaner— no thank you, squared.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
As much as I like diesels, if made by GM I won't buy one. This from bad experience compounded by bad experience.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I've owned an 82 S-10, a 03 Avalanche, and now a 07 Canyon. I've had less combined issues with those three than I did in my ten years of owning my 2000 TDI beetle.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
^^^...sigh...generalizations like "...GM is junk!..." are inflammatory exaggerations.

Look ANYWHERE on the internet about VW reliability, you'll see the same statements. Are those statements exaggerations? Based on my experience with my 2014 NMS, no. Love the concept of the car. The execution just doesn't justify ownership, in my opinion.

Pick your poison...

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
I've owned an 82 S-10, a 03 Avalanche, and now a 07 Canyon. I've had less combined issues with those three than I did in my ten years of owning my 2000 TDI beetle.
Yup. Seeing people that operate VW's referring to other makes as junk is a riot. My GF's 10+ year old ~180k Pontiac Torrent has likely had a smaller total repair bill total thae most VW's that even half as old.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Chevy going after me with the diesel Cruze and Equinox* is worse than futile after our NMS Passat. Might as well try a fuel cell powered Mini Clubman.

*Cruze is far too small, and I've driven an Equinox as a loaner— no thank you, squared.
This is really a dumb statement! Both the Cruze and the Equinox are totally new cars and the Engine has been used in Europe for awhile......
I will definitely check them out...my 2008 HHR SS was trouble free!

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Isn't there a historical irony here - the Germans came to clean up after GM's Diesel debacle in the 1980s; fast forward 3 decades than now it's GM cleaning up (literally :D ) after the Germans - at least just VW. Would like to see Diesel power in the 1/2 ton class Silverado/Sierra models.

Edit: If GM throws its hat into Diesel half-ton pickup ring, Ford will be forced to follow suit to join GM and RAM. The competition would be a thing of beauty.

Last edited:

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
This is really a dumb statement! Both the Cruze and the Equinox are totally new cars and the Engine has been used in Europe for awhile......
I will definitely check them out...my 2008 HHR SS was trouble free!
The issue I can see for some people is that with VW...you get the illusion of refinement. With GM...unless you get a high end trim (ex. Denali, SLT, LTZ, etc.)...the interior is not particularly impressive.

What you do get with GM though is a vehicle that if/when something goes wrong...you can fix it with locally sourced parts for a fraction of the cost of a German car.

Edit: I say "illusion" of refinement, because the interior in my "Premium" package VW is no more impressive than the LT (mid-level trim) Silverado I drove recently.

Last edited:

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Isn't there a historical irony here - the Germans came to clean up after GM's Diesel debacle in the 1980s; fast forward 3 decades than now it's GM cleaning up (literally :D ) after the Germans - at least just VW. Would like to see Diesel power in the 1/2 ton class Silverado/Sierra models.

Edit: If GM throws its hat into Diesel half-ton pickup ring, Ford will be forced to follow suit to join GM and RAM. The competition would be a thing of beauty.
Same here. I'm planning on buying a new Silverado as soon as I get out of my car. That being the case...I'm sure they'll offer a diesel in the '18 model year.:rolleyes:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Add Jason and I to that list. We put a deposit down a few hours before the unveiling.

dst5

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2013 TDI
FYI 2017 Chevy Cruze will offer Manual

2017 Chevy Cruze will offer Manual in both the Sedan and Hatchback and in all but the most expensive trim.

the diesel and manual gearbox won’t be limited to just the sedan, either. The hatchback will receive the same 1.6-liter turbo-diesel engine, and the option to row your own will be present on all trims save for the headlining Premier variant.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Where did you see this? I haven't seen anything about a manual, and have seen printed that the hatch will NOT get the diesel.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
There was an article on Autoblog a week or so ago. There's nothing technical stopping GM from offering that on any of their new D2XX vehicles (includes Cruze and Equinox). They all use the same subframe.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Where did you see this? I haven't seen anything about a manual, and have seen printed that the hatch will NOT get the diesel.
It's in several of the other cruze diesel threads. However, the article was talking to Chevy of Canada, so it may not apply to us southlanders.

MRO1791

TDI
2015 Cruze TD (x2), 2009 Dodge Cummins

Well said, experiences do vary, but I've had good and bad cars from GM, and the VW Jetta, it was mostly good, but had the crappy HPFP that was put there to save $600 per car, they cheated emissions to save about $300 per car.. what other corners did VW cut? Look, I liked the Jetta, the DSG for an auto was great, they have their good, but they also have bad. Same for all OEMs. To express blind brand loyalty is foolish, but many do this. Be objective about this and be honest, that is a rare trait these days it seems. I still have a now 20 year old GM (Saturn) with nearly 200K and minimal work over that time.. Not all GM is bad, and not all VW is good. The Jetta I ditched was a 2012, LNT, and it had metal in the fuel filter, and VW said that was OK and charged me to do nothing!? That is extremely poor customer service, and outright kicking the can down the road, they were happy to gamble with an unpredictable total HPFP failure that would leave my wife stranded, and I was NOT. That is the primary reason I had to ditch that car. In contrast, one of my now 2 Cruze Diesels had a mis-fuel with the prior owner, and guess what, no catastrophic HPFP failure, all they did was pump the tank and reset the MIL and it runs fine, that would KILL a VW, by their own admission (to cover up the fact they chose the cheaper failure prone pump to save $600, kind of like they lied for years about the emissions until forced to come clean when EPA refused certification of the 2015 cars that were held at dock)... don't fool yourself to think VW is perfect, and GM is evil, they both do bad and good, and neither are perfect, but GM appears to be making improvements, and I'm not sure VW is, yet, but I hope they do clean up their act, competition is good for the customer, and we should be objective and reward the OEMs who do good, and not the ones doing bad, and realize this will change over time. I would consider a VW at some point in the future, I'm not against them forever, but I would do so knowing full well of the issues that could exist in an honest way.. in the near term, not likely especially as they are going away from Diesel to appease the anti-internal combustion engine regulators to pay penance for there sins with the emissions cheat.