Coolant Ball Delete

jaed_43725

Veteran Member
TDI
04' Jetta wagon
I found that I coolant ball is leaking. And rather than replace it, I would rather delete it. Has anyone else done this? What all do I need to do, like in write-up steps? I know it is different than a 1.8T especially in that they have a tee fitting that splits between the ball and the turbo, and its between 2 soft lines. Is there a way to disable the low coolant sensor? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Get a new one, they're dirt cheap anyway. I think it's wise to keep it as it is for the coolant to expand with heat hence the name, expansion tank.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The ball serves a purpose, you know ... it's not just there for decoration.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Ball is necessary. Coolant inventory expands with heat, and cap can relieve excess pressure. Air volume above coolant level acts as a spring. You'll have a mess without it.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
The ball is also your radiator cap, meaning it will vent if excess pressure develops. I have swapped the ones from the 2.0L and V-6 with no issues.

They're also $15 new, so why bother to delete it?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
You guys are bad lol, at least he's looking into doing it properly

I am going to put in a fitting that has a radiator cap and an overflow tank.
What you planning, what are you thinking of using and where are you thinking of fitting it?

Have you moved anything else and is your bay looking any better?

Best one I've seen so far was a Mk2 golf with a VR6 engine, beautifully done. I can't help but drool when ever I see the car it's that good but the guy has been working on it for the last three years.

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Now I think I may have seen (read) it all. O_O

I wonder if it's possible to delete, let's say, a valve or two. I have 16 after all. Sorry, just playing dumb and not helping anyone. Carry on.

I'm interested in seeing photos of what you come up with.

WINDSORB4TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
LOOKING
Just my $0.02, but I can't fathom a need to eliminate something that works well. As many others have pointed out, they are super CHEAP.

As far as eliminating the low coolant light, the question is why? IF you suffer a catastrophic cooling system failure and the coolant leaves rapidly, you may not know before damage occurs. The Coolant Temperature Sensor does not read the temperature of air very well, and will not register the engine's temp without coolant flowing across it.

HOWEVER, the low coolant light reacts very quickly to the situation, alerting you to impending doom...

Just an example of what has happened to me. I replaced the engine in a B5 Passat, and on the test drive, the lower radiator hose popped off the radiator. Apparently, I didn't fully click it into place. The low coolant light illuminated within seconds of this, meanwhile the temperature gauge began to move towards cold, as it is mounted in a plastic housing and was now reading AIR! Needless to say, disaster averted...

Vince

jaed_43725

Veteran Member
TDI
04' Jetta wagon
The only thing stopping me now is 1 main question. How do I stop the low coolant light from flashing? Is it a VAG-COM thing? Do I need to solder in something? Any help is appreciated.

loganbmx4gt

Veteran Member
TDI
97' Passat (1Z), 02' Golf
The only thing stopping me now is 1 main question. How do I stop the low coolant light from flashing? Is it a VAG-COM thing? Do I need to solder in something? Any help is appreciated.
You will need a tune. If that can even be deleted out....