Continental tires for mpgs

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
I like continental tires and I'd like to keep this thread about continental only, why? because it is funny cause in our life time we are never going to put to a test not even 10 different brand of tires to a test so it is ridiculous to be saying this is the best brand of tire cause so on an so on, (reading threads about tires my head hurts on so many different brand members claiming this one us better other member claiming this one so many conflicting topics,and all of them are bad ass)so here it is what is the best model of tires for low rolling tires that last and achieve better mpgs continentals only

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It depends on the size and application, which you have not given.

I have driven over 1 million miles collectively on my cars (at least), so I for one certainly HAVE had some good data on various tires. I also work at a place that sells tires, so I have also mounted and balanced countless ones, and have seen how well certain ones work on certain applications.

You may also want to know that Continental is also General tire, and the General brand usually costs less and is comparable (some are even made side by side in the same plants).

We are (among other brands) a Continental-General dealer... and we sell quite a few of both. Any Continental that bears the "Eco+technology" badge is what they consider LRR (Low Rolling Resistance). However, that does not necessarily mean they will net a significant enough boost in fuel economy to offset any additional costs associated with their purchase. And in many cases, the tire design/model/tread/designations change so often that what works one time may not work again the next time.

I have a set of ContiproContacts on one of my Golfs, standard 195-65-15-91H. They were less costly than the Michelin MXV4 S8s I had previously, but they are wearing faster. The fuel economy is averaging the same.

Last edited:

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
Thxs for the input, so reading from your reply it seems when you make a comparison on continentals you bring Generals to the mix and in between the lines im gathering continentals may not be such a great brand after all, or i may be wrong analyzing your comment.

I forgot about tire size 15 and 17

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I have had various Continentals on the different VW tdi's I have had. They all drove fine but had limited mileage from them. Also as OH said they change models so often it is sometimes impossible to get the same tire model next time.

oilhammer

TDI
I think Continentals are largely an excellent brand. I have them as I said on one of my Golfs, my Vanagon, and my Sprinter. And I have a set of Generals on my F150. Both my Passats, and my other Golf, have Michelins. I prefer Michelins, but they also cost more.

You started the thread wanting input on Continentals, I only made mention of General because it is part of the same company (and not everyone realizes this...FWIW, BF Goodrich and Uniroyal are part of Michelin, Kelly+Springfield and Dunlop are all Goodyear, and Bridgestone/Firestone are the same company).

You provided the rim size in inches... so for instance (just guessing) a 195-65-15-91H is available in the Contiprocontact in the "standard" version, and the "eco focus" version. Both are the same 500 treadwear, both are AA-A traction rated. The Eco-focus version is about $12 more per tire. Will you save $48 worth of fuel over the ~50k mile expected tread life? Maybe, maybe not.

The Truecontact Touring, again same size, has the Eco+tech rating I mentioned in the above post, and has a whopping 800 treadwear, but drops to A-A traction. They cost less than the Contiprocontact in this size, they will last longer, might net a wee bit better fuel economy, and since they should also last longer, they should overall be a lower cost tire in the end, even if the fuel savings is minimal. However, they won't stick to the road as well. Will you notice this loss of grip? Maybe, maybe not.

17 inch stuff is FAR more varied, because now you are getting into a more performance oriented sizing. The 215-55-17-xxx gives you some Purecontact and Procontact and Extremecontact models, some of which carry neither the Eco-focus or Eco+tech banners, and will almost certainly provide worse fuel economy at the expense of stickier compounds and of course shorter tread life.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
I have a 2014 Passat TDI SEL (245-45-18"??) that came with Contiprocontact. I got 93k miles out of them, rotating every 10k miles. I replaced them with the same tire, same rotation pattern, this time getting almost 100k miles. Put the same tires on again in the fall, what's not to like?

I commute from coastal NJ to Phila every day (pre Covid-19) ~70 miles each way. YMMV, John

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've owned Conti tires on and off for years, but after 3 sets on my BMW I've given up on them. Not particularly grippy, ride harder than other tires with equivalent performance, and they tend to cup on older VWs if you don't rotate them frequently. And the FE isn't wonderful, again compared to other options. I won't buy any Conti product again for a while.

swapmeat

Veteran Member
TDI
b4v....died, engine swapped into mk1 caddy
Everything should be taken with a grain of salt while living in (as I call it) “world of China”
With many variables and circumstances. Same tires on different cars, even in the same “class” can have largely different results. As stated above with cupping on vw. As stated with different models of continental. It’s not cut and dry anymore as far as I’m concerned. I loved my Michelin’s, but for the money....ehh. I put contis on a customers acura and got great wear, mileage, etc. the broad question can’t be asked anymore imo. To me I need a lot more info. Non of this prob helps or makes sense but..... lol

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
You can't take away how good Michelin tires are period, but I'm sure for the $ you spend on them, you could buy a cheaper tire that may give you close in performance and durability,

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
I just retired the Contiprocontacts which were unevenly worn in the middle. They never gripped well for me. I had them at 32 psi up front on my golf. I swapped them for Cooper CS5, cheaper than michelins. So far so good but haven't tested them on highway. Cheap enough that I won't be disappointed if I only get 3 years. I liked the general arctic winters on the mkvi golf, but the summer Conti weren't impressive on that either.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Sounds like they were under inflated. I run my tires at 36F/34R in MKIV cars, lower pressures than most here.

oilhammer

TDI
I've been running mine at 35F 30R for a while now. Makes the GTI suspension a little less harsh on some of the bad spots we've had lately in the roads. Not sure what happened around here, but the last couple years have gotten pretty bad (not Michigan bad, but bad for us).

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
I have them at 30f 30r right now. I recall having a wandering issue on the highway and squeaking on bumps. I've now replaced everything but the struts and shocks. Went for an alignment at the dealer and they suspected wandering from the high tire pressures, wanted to make it 26 all around for softer ride with more grip. I think I was at 36f 34r but I'll try that again with newer tires. That is as high as I can imagine going.
Roads probably aren't going to be getting better anytime soon. Bad spots here cause bottoming out, sparks, broken springs, blown tires etc..Just exiting a parking area onto the road can be a scene. I might have to pass on seats again for a lift kit.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
I had a set of Continental tires in standard 195-65-15-91H on my Jetta--for one week.

They were by FAR the worst, most mushy, vague, and horrible road-handling tires I've ever experienced. I could have mounted marshmallows on my hubs and gotten more road feel. Conti's are for people who hate driving, IMO. No road-holding ability whatsoever. Garbage. Pure garbage.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
So now conti tires turned out to be POS, good to know

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I'm impressed with my pirellis. Just saying.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
How about Toyo tires,?

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Had two sets of Toyos almost 10 years back, loved them. Haven't tried them in a while though, so don't know how their current offerings are.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm checking those Toyos Extensa AS11 according to thread warranty 75K never had any Toyos but I know they are not bad tires, I had the kumos but they wore out quickly.

Never had Pirellis either but I checked their prices and are more expensive than the Toyos, maybe cause of the sale they have with Toyos but I know both are supposed to be great tires

Last edited:

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
Had two sets of Toyo Extensas on two different vehicles. Both sets wore evenly, were relatively quiet, decent grip and wear rates for our style of driving. I thought they were excellent value. I didn't see any negative fuel economy impacts either, after break in and accounting for odometer recalibration.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
Had two sets of Toyo Extensas on two different vehicles. Both sets wore evenly, were relatively quiet, decent grip and wear rates for our style of driving. I thought they were excellent value. I didn't see any negative fuel economy impacts either, after break in and accounting for odometer recalibration.

Were you able to get to 75K on them?

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
Were you able to get to 75K on them?
I sold both vehicles with those tires long before getting that far, but one of the vehicles had 25K on them. I think if rotated on time, they should have made it to 60k or better. I was rotating counter-clockwise (I don't buy into directional tire BS) every 5k and they were wearing absolutely dead even within each tire and between the tires.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
I've been running the Generals G Max, 215/55/16s, their "ultra performance", 36fr/34rr. A tad oversized on the Golf, but it fixes the
speedo. Not the best for mileage, I get ~ 40k with them, but boy do they
grip and the price is right. The latest iteration is the AS-05, and is fine
"all season" for the amount of snow I get this neck of the woods.

The car came with 15" Altimax R43s, but I found the sidewalls a bit too
mushy for my taste.

The Generals are lighter than most, another factor I love about them,
combined with my lightish wheels, I run 35#s each. Unsprung wheel
weight is a key component of handling IMO.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
I've been running the Generals G Max, 215/55/16s, their "ultra performance", 36fr/34rr. A tad oversized on the Golf, but it fixes the
speedo. Not the best for mileage, I get ~ 40k with them, but boy do they
grip and the price is right. The latest iteration is the AS-05, and is fine
"all season" for the amount of snow I get this neck of the woods.

The car came with 15" Altimax R43s, but I found the sidewalls a bit too
mushy for my taste.

The Generals are lighter than most, another factor I love about them,
combined with my lightish wheels, I run 35#s each. Unsprung wheel
weight is a key component of handling IMO.
What's the weight per wheel? Or what's the weight per tire?

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
What's the weight per wheel? Or what's the weight per tire?

My unobtanium XXIO Racing rims, 16x7, are 15 1/4#s, the tires are 20#s @.
Seeing as how the thread was about FE, be warned sticky wide tires are NOT
good for mpg. Lol, neither is my tune, or the way I drive it. With winter
fuel I've been getting 35mpg around town, lots of short hops.
Highway pushing 80 I get 42/43. If I pulled the roof racks off I'd probably
get another mile or two per gallon at speed.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Got these yesterday from Tire Rack:

They're offering a $50 gift card with purchase of a set and with that credit they cost $300 with tax and shipping. Pretty good deal.

Altimax RT43. I know Russe11 says the sidewalls are soft, but I like them a lot. Have them on two TDIs now, these are going on the Mercedes, which surprisingly wears the same size tire as a MKIV TDI with 15" wheels.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
"Altimax RT43. I know Russe11 says the sidewalls are soft," IBW

For my taste,,,,, I really notice my significant others 17" rims on her Toyota.
Much harsher ride. Depends on the roads you frequent too. I believe the
sidewall softness/thinness on the Generals is where they save some weight.
My guru and I agree that the 16" rims are the happy medium for ride
comfort and range of options in tires, and economical to boot. {:eek:)

Got 16" on the Jeep as well in a General, 225/75/16 A/TX XL. Smoothes the
ride on the city streets where they've been installing gas lines. Makes for a
lot of ruts to all the row houses. Soft rubber and knobby, I'm sure they'll be good
in snow.

ahldailydriver02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta 5 speed, 03 Jetta Wagon 5 speed
Got these yesterday from Tire Rack:

They're offering a $50 gift card with purchase of a set and with that credit they cost $300 with tax and shipping. Pretty good deal.

Altimax RT43. I know Russe11 says the sidewalls are soft, but I like them a lot. Have them on two TDIs now, these are going on the Mercedes, which surprisingly wears the same size tire as a MKIV TDI with 15" wheels.
I also have the General Alitmax RT43 on 3 different Jetta's and I really don't have any complaints. I have always had good luck with them, they handle well, wear well and can be had at a very reasonable price. I have bought them with that $50 rebate a few times too. As Russe11 stated though I have noticed a soft or squishy side wall, but haven't had a problem with them yet.

TDICube

Veteran Member
I have always liked Continental bicycle tires. Continental does not brand General on any bicycle tires though.
TDICube