Considering a V10 - maybe...

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
2004, 260,000km (163,000 miles) : seller's comment "[FONT=&quot]The car has turbo leak problem and I will sell it as it is with a new turbo as a part for $11500".

This is $CAD not $US. Any opinions? V10 rare in Canada, probably a US import. I assume it's an engine pull to replace the turbo? I could probably do it eventually - have some shop space - would take a while. I certainly do not need another car but...

Opinions?
[/FONT]

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
You have to pull the motor to change the turbo and generally when it is out you also check a few other things while it is out. Change everything you can while it is out so as not to pull it again in a month or so to do it all again. I say great motor, but not something you want to work on or want to repair. Yes, you are getting it cheap, but still not a cheap car to repair. Walk away from it.

NoobyT

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
NEVER ever buy any Touareg with known faults - they can be a money pit and that V10 certainly will be - don't walk away, RUN.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Very common to see turbo problems on these, any one that's this age without turbo problems, will have them sometime. Stepper motors are also a known failure point, that might be all it needs, or it could be a downpipe leak, never really know. I would rather buy one that requires these kinds of repairs at a lower price than have to do these repairs within a couple years anyway. Expect to drop the motor, 5K+ in parts, and an extensive rebuild. Install mildly upgraded turbos or a better oem replacement, delete pipes if the DPF is giving you problems, and then you'll have a slightly simplified vehicle.

The later GT2260 V6 touaregs make plenty of power and will about match a V10 with tuning (v10 being stock). I'd consider one of those since this rig will run you 20K+ easily.

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
I wasn't contemplating this vehicle as a low cost commuter, that's for sure...

A 2004 should have no DPF, surely?

Seller now says that it's non-running, intakes removed - so repairs underway and abandoned. This makes me much more wary.