Complaints Filed to FTC and Claims Council and the Results / Reply's

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
I'll likely wait until what may or may not be my day 20 (Thursday), and call them.
Frankly this is probably the best thing anyone can do - I.E. each individual will have to digest all this information and determine the best way forward for themselves as to when and who to complain to - or not as the case may be. No one, and I mean NO ONE, on this board at this time can definitively state what the timeline will actually, in reality, unfold to be. Each person can share what they've been told but clearly the information being disseminated is inconsistent.
We will know eligibility when we get the email. Until then, each has to determine when to complain and to whom.

Last edited:

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
Oh man that sucks Dec 1st or 2nd???? :(
That's what I get for sending everything in early and getting green checked marks on 10/13. Should of turned everything in the last week of October like some people did here and I probably would if got an offer buy now.
I feel your pain. I had one of every kind of claim you could have. A salvaged clear title single owner. A 3rd party financed single owner, and a financed 3rd party multiple owner, submitted on the 19th of September and all sat there without any progress till tonight.

TDIsoup

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I feel your pain. I had one of every kind of claim you could have. A salvaged clear title single owner. A 3rd party financed single owner, and a financed 3rd party multiple owner, submitted on the 19th of September and all sat there without any progress till tonight.
With you getting your docs approved tonight, maybe that's a sign that my group might move forward.

MrWrench

TDI
2014 Jetta premium/nav
I got my confirmation email on 10/21 and have been at that step since. If they start sending out offer letters all at once and owners start scheduling their buybacks all at the same time, don't ya think they are gonna be swamped all over again?

JGEO

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
OK, so my documents were accepted on 10-26 and I am awaiting my offer. I called the claims number last week and they said my claim was audited by the 3rd party vendor on 11-4 and everything looked good and I should expect my final offer this week. Should I expect it by the end of day tomorrow? I am basing that off of 10 business days from Nov. 1st? It is all very confusing and everyone is getting different information.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, so my documents were accepted on 10-26 and I am awaiting my offer. I called the claims number last week and they said my claim was audited by the 3rd party vendor on 11-4 and everything looked good and I should expect my final offer this week. Should I expect it by the end of day tomorrow? I am basing that off of 10 business days from Nov. 1st? It is all very confusing and everyone is getting different information.
Have you received an email stating that your documents have been verified and they are determining your eligibility? If so the portal should have switched over to green check marks by your doc's. The day you received that email started their next 10 business days to get you your offer.

TDIsoup

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Have you received an email stating that your documents have been verified and they are determining your eligibility? If so the portal should have switched over to green check marks by your doc's. The day you received that email started their next 10 business days to get you your offer.
I think this is where we keep confusing each other. I received that specific email on 10/20. That's where I don't understand this. The above poster and I are in the same exact situation, but my docs went green on 10/20. No one with a financed car has received the "final offer". If it was 10 business days from your docs being approved and going green, we likely wouldn't be talking. :D

tkdcmpedude

TDI
2015 Golf S
See that is where I get really confused and frustrated with. I received the email you spoke of on 10/18/2016. If you add ten business days to this I should have received the offer letter already, which I have yet to see. Then if you take the logic of 11/1/2016 as the date then 10 business days lands on today, nothing yet in the inbox but I will keep an eye out for it. I believe what makes it challenging is so many people now are coming up with different counter start times. Then you also add that some people say that VW has ten business days and their auditor has ten business days too. I am just wanting this to all be over already.

-tkd

Tenebrae

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Jetta TDI Premium with Nav TURNED IN 03/10/2017
Hm, well, my documents are sitting at the accepted and being verified stage. I have a loan on my car.
I asked an authoritative source if I'd get an offer this month and it says, "My sources say no." I think this is more accurate than the claims line:
http://www.ask8ball.net/

>_>

-T.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
See that is where I get really confused and frustrated with. I received the email you spoke of on 10/18/2016. If you add ten business days to this I should have received the offer letter already, which I have yet to see. Then if you take the logic of 11/1/2016 as the date then 10 business days lands on today, nothing yet in the inbox but I will keep an eye out for it. I believe what makes it challenging is so many people now are coming up with different counter start times. Then you also add that some people say that VW has ten business days and their auditor has ten business days too. I am just wanting this to all be over already.
-tkd
You should see it today, however they do state that in this step they are dependent on the finance institution to be timely with their correspondence.
From Class Council:
Class members who successfully uploaded all of their necessary documentation as of Nov. 1 should be getting a notification that their claim is complete by Nov. 15 (10 business days from Nov. 1). They’ll then receive an offer letter 10 business days later, meaning they should anticipate offer letters in the first week of December, if not earlier.
It’s possible that claims may take longer to process if it requires VW to verify an existing loan amount from a bank or credit union.

Sigp232

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Passat
I emailed claims yesterday they officially start 10 days Nov 1st
Email the lady and complain address on bottom

Thank you for reaching out to express your concerns. The Settlement Agreements went into effect on October 25, 2016, however, the Judge ordered that the claims review process officially commence on November 1, 2016 (five days after the effective date of the approved Agreements). As per the timetables set forth in the Agreements and the Long Form Notice, Volkswagen has 10 business days to determine that your claim is complete and eligible, and another 10 business days to issue an award determination. During the second 10 business day period, the Claims Supervisor (Ankura Consulting Group) conducts a review of your claim to verify eligibility and the award determination calculated by Volkswagen.

The Claim Supervisor will continue to monitor each claim that Volkswagen receives, as well as Volkswagen's timeliness with the review process, and will report to the Court and the parties accordingly.

If questions remain, or if you otherwise need to speak with the Claims Supervisor staff, please contact us at this email address. Thank you.

Annie Cutting
Associate
Ankura Consulting Group, LLC
1220 19th Street, NW, Suite 700
Washington, DC 20036
ankuraconsulting.com

Confidentiality Notice:
This email and any attachments may be confidential and protected by legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the e-mail or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the sender and then delete this copy and the reply from your system. Thank you for your cooperation.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Monday, November 14, 2016 11:10 AM
To: VWCustomerInquiry <vwcustomerinquiry@ankuraconsulting.com>
Subject: VW Passat Buyback

jav

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS - 5 speed
I'm starting to think we should just give up on having expectations that things will flow as described.

I uploaded my docs on 10/14. Still being reviewed. I had hoped for 10 days- from then. Then 10 days from the 25th (decision date). Now 10 days from 11/1- which would be end of day today. I'm not holding my breath.

I've read that the site is not being updated. Some people have stated that the site shows " under review" for them when in reality, the docs have actually been "approved". I called and was told that this "could be" the case and that someone would get back to me within 3 business days to follow-up on my case specifically. It's been much longer than 3 days and still... no call back.

I was pretty much OK with VW's handling of this mess and I was willing to give them a pass on the "mistake" because of how they were handling things. I'm starting to lose that loving feeling with all the misinformation, disinformation and complete lack of adherence to published and stated intentions & follow-through. I have 5 VW's- and that number will definitely decrease going forward.

Last edited:

tkdcmpedude

TDI
2015 Golf S
You should see it today, however they do state that in this step they are dependent on the finance institution to be timely with their correspondence.
From Class Council:
Thanks coolbreeze for that information. I am financed through a credit union. I guess I am getting a little stir crazy since last week I got my renewal for registration on the vehicle. I am wanting to be done with this before that comes due.

-tkd

JGEO

TDI
2014 Passat TDI

Yes, received that on 10-26. But based on what I am reading here my 10 days didn't start until 11-1 and my 10 days ends today. So what I am not clear about is if the 3rd party vendor has another 10 days from today which will put me in the 12-2 timeframe with the Thanksgiving holiday. No offer thus far today.

Last edited:

C3156

Veteran Member
TDI
All sold
At least most of you all have had your documents accepted. Here I am with a paid off Jetta, my claim submitted 8/24, documents submitted 9/20, and my documents are still under review on day "10"

I call VW and all I get is either the run around about "20 days" or they are having "technical difficulties" accessing the database and I will get a call back within 48 hrs.

I am in for the long haul but the lack of movement is frustrating to say the least. I will file complaints first thing day "11" but I don't expect any changes to the process. My only hope is that VW will get slammed with additional fines for delays. They agreed to the timeline and should have had the foresight to anticipate a heavy volume of people wanting to turn in their cars.

newbeetleman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Been green since 10/20, are you saying I should be getting my offer today, according to, well, someones rules?

I called my bank and they have not been contacted by VW yet.

Last edited:

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
-tkd
Well the confusion stems from those that are quoting/interpreting the legal language of the settlement and those that are relaying information told to them by the claims hotline. Neither of the two are matching up. More importantly, no one knows what the reality of this process is - yet - which is really all we are interested in. I wager 6 months from now (probably earlier) this process will be well known as well as all the timelines. Those of us who entered this process before the lawsuit was settled are the outliers and are caught up in the "when did the clock actually start for us" debate. Any large process such as this buyback which has some major muscle movements will have bugs to work out in the beginning. We are the guinea pigs, unfortunately, helping them to work out the bugs. The buyback for us will happen soon.
"wag more, bark less"

Last edited:

jsplinter

TDI
Jetta
The problem Salsaman that 6 months from now there are going to be people saying "it took me 5 months, I submitted in September" even though no ones clocks started until Nov 1. I think people should be happy that VW decided to work ahead. Could you imagine the backlog and the threads on here if they didn't process anything prior to today and didn't accept one single document until the deadline they had of Today.

newbeetleman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
The problem Salsaman that 6 months from now there are going to be people saying "it took me 5 months, I submitted in September" even though no ones clocks started until Nov 1. I think people should be happy that VW decided to work ahead. Could you imagine the backlog and the threads on here if they didn't process anything prior to today and didn't accept one single document until the deadline they had of Today.
There wouldn't be a problem with that if they would tell people the truth about the timeline.. FTC thinks one thing VW is saying another. THAT is the problem.

When I called yesterday the lady told me everything was approved and that I should be getting my offer shortly.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
Past 10 days now

Seems like we have many owners on the spreadsheet past ten days now. I am amazed that VW has put itself in this position.

Hopefully members are reaching out to the FTC and Claims Council to make them aware and get some pressure on VW to hire more 3rd party to move this along.

s_e

TDI
2012 A3
I have a problem with that December 2nd date. When my docs were approved on 10/20, the notice generated says I will be provided with a final offer in 10 business days, not 10 business days from November 15th. That should have been explicitly stated, and it isn't.
I submitted all docs on 10/27. I've only received the initial upload acknowledgement. I haven't received the required notice that the application is complete. The site still says each document iss "received and under review." (I'm the first and only owner of a 2012 bought in 2012, no lien, clean title.)

I never got the required notice that the application is complete or deficient.

I just got off the line with a support person. As others have reported, she was absolutely explicit that she "was told" by superiors that they don't have to do anything until 20 business days after submission; after that they get an additional 10 business days for the eligibility phase.

The only way I can think of to reconstruct that incorrect statement is this: VW/claims admin get an extra 10 business days after resubmission if they give notice of a deficiency. That must be the same as sitting on submissions for 20 days before saying anything, even if there's no deficiency.

That's ridiculous. The "if" makes it clear that is a willfully ignorant interpretation. They only get that 20 business days total if they issued a notice of deficiency after the first 10 business days:
2. Processing all claims applications and, within 10 business days, or more quickly if reasonable, either (a)
notifying consumers that their claim application is complete because it contains all information necessary to determine eligibility, or (b) notifying consumers of any claim application that is deemed deficient, the reasons for the deficiency, and providing clear instructions on how to cure it.

If Defendant notifies a consumer that their claim application is deficient, Defendant shall have 10 business days from resubmission of the claims application to notify such consumer whether his or her application is complete;

3. Notifying consumers whether they are eligible for their elected remedy within 10 business days, or more quickly if reasonable, of receiving a completed application;
(Long time lurker, first time poster. Shame it's under these circumstances.)

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I just got off the line with a support person. As others have reported, she was absolutely explicit that she "was told" by superiors that they don't have to do anything until 20 business days after submission; after that they get an additional 10 business days for the eligibility phase.

The only way I can think of to reconstruct that incorrect statement is this: VW/claims admin get an extra 10 business days after resubmission if they give notice of a deficiency. That must be the same as sitting on submissions for 20 days before saying anything, even if there's no deficiency.
Maybe they're giving a one-size-fits-all worst-case scenario timeline to cover their butts in the hope that people won't question it. I mean, most people aren't going to actually check with the PSC when they're told that the court said they could have extra time to process. Buncha squeaky wheels here, myself included. :)

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
..... Buncha squeaky wheels here, myself included. :)
And tomorrow I will add to the cacophony when I contact general counsel and make my voice heard. It may amount to nothing but ya never know. One thing is for sure, quiet wheels never get the grease. ;)

s_e

TDI
2012 A3
And tomorrow I will add to the cacophony when I contact general counsel and make my voice heard. It may amount to nothing but ya never know. One thing is for sure, quiet wheels never get the grease. ;)
I don't like thinking of myself as a wheel, esp. a squeaky one :p

I just want some reassurance that things are going according to schedule. My specific frustration: there's one car with the exact specs I want within a 250 mile radius. I'd make the drive to get it up today if I knew my buyback would happen December-ish. I lose my "extra" parking space at the end of this month. I'd need to lease a new one or move the car from street to street to avoid periodically to avoid a ticket. I'm not going to either of those things for some indeterminate period. A month - fine. Four to six months - nope.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI

Please, keep us posted. Seriously!

I always say " A quiet but deadly fart just stinks." , so make some noise!

TDIsoup

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I hate to be that guy, and if you knew me in real life I'm mostly an introvert, but I'm about to go on a social media blitz on Friday and call them out. When you talk about a squeeky wheel, Twitter and Facebook make the most noise. I'm tired of the radio silence from VW.

MrWrench

TDI
2014 Jetta premium/nav
I hate to be that guy, and if you knew me in real life I'm mostly an introvert, but I'm about to go on a social media blitz on Friday and call them out. When you talk about a squeeky wheel, Twitter and Facebook make the most noise. I'm tired of the radio silence from VW.
Well done. Well done

JGEO

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Post links on this site so we can help out!

ncsuhunter

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Uploaded Documents 10/19...Doc's accepted 10/27 (Green Check marks)...still waiting for an offer...today is 20 business days since initial upload...and it's been 15 since green checks (12 from Nov 1). Ugh...I don't wanna keep making payments and losing the interest

Just spoke with Erin...from what I was just told, they initially had 10 days to submit offers, but that has been adjusted to 20 days due to the volume they have...I should have an offer between Nov 30th - Dec 2nd. That goes right along with another poster earlier as Dec is 20 business days from Nov 1 (the official start date).

Last edited: