Commonality of Oil Filter Design

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen 2015 Blue Silk
I just picked up a used 2015 GSW from a dealer a couple of hours away, opting for a "VIP Care" deal usable at any of their dealerships for free oil changes (including synthetic), rotations, fluids, etc., since they said I can use it at their Ford dealer close to me and it winds up being a super deal considering I drive 25-27k/yr and would make out on this. Then on the way home I thought of the issue that a Ford dealer isn't going to have the TDI-specific oil in stock, nor the filter. I called them and they said they'd run next door to the VW dealer (literally within sight of each other) and get what they need. I'm a little concerned that they actually do this. Also, is the weird (to me) filter housing design common nowadays? Would a Ford tech likely to botch this up, maybe having leak oil, or worse yet not even change it? Should I try to cancel the care package?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Not sure I understand the logic of taking your Volkswagen to a Ford dealer for service, especially when the Volkswagen dealer is right next door. But it is your car.

To be fair, most dealers now employ "lube techs", and no matter the brand there is always the possibility of poor Jiffy-Lube level service.

I would want a professional that is experienced with VAG products to service my car, if I was not doing it myself.

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
Not wanting to worry you, but even VW dealerships will put the wrong oil!
I do the oil change myself. Takes me less time it would take to drive over, wait and back. And it costs less too, using IDParts kit for example.

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
The logic is the Ford dealer is in the same chain I bought the car from, the VW dealer next door is not, therefore I'd be paying $110-120 per oil change. If I was going to do that I'd continue to do my own oil changes. I understand the guys doing the oil changes are neither mechanics nor Rhodes scholars, so that is always a concern, though a VW lube guy is obviously highly experienced with their filter housings and I never had problems when I did use to use the VW dealer.

Last edited:

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
Not wanting to worry you, but even VW dealerships will put the wrong oil!
I do the oil change myself. Takes me less time it would take to drive over, wait and back. And it costs less too, using IDParts kit for example.
and the most important thing is that you can sleep at night, have peace in your heart and also not waste your time searching this forum and posting questions and complaining about fubard car after just the oil change. I even decided to do this with the free 3 year maintenance from VW.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
To be fair, most dealers now employ "lube techs", and no matter the brand there is always the possibility of poor Jiffy-Lube level service.
I would want a professional that is experienced with VAG products to service my car, if I was not doing it myself.
How true. I have found the old adage "If you want it done right, do it yourself" has never been more true than it is today.

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
... though a VW lube guy is obviously highly experienced with their filter housings and I never had problems when I did use to use the VW dealer.
At 100k I started doing the oil myself after being not impressed by 4 different dealerships (I have lots of them nearby, and would go to the one with quick availability). When I went to remove the oil filter housing it was stuck really hard. I tried harder and the oil filter housing "nut" sheared off!! it was fun getting it off... do those monkeys at the dealerships use impact wrench on those?!?
Anyway, now that I do it myself, removing the housing is smooth like butter, no problem at all. I just tighten to spec. I just hope the engine mounted housing has not been weakened.

Also, my oil stays clear for WAY longer after I do the oil change. I remember once it was dark after only 20 miles! did they even changed the oil?
They put the wrong oil once (based on the invoice, I had them redo it). But I suspect they have done it multiple times. You can tell the difference in viscosity.

At the end of the day, it all depends on how long you intend to keep the car, and how many miles you expect your engine to be relatively trouble free.
If you don't care, then it is fine to let the Ford dealership do it. You most likely won't see any difference in the short term.

Last, free tire rotation... I always have a doubt whether they really always rotate the tires, except for the time where I found out I was missing a lug bolt! so much for professional work.

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
My biggest issue was with my first 2015 they had the free old change thing, but even with an appointment I was spending 2-3hrs there (with tire rotation) plus hour round trip. Crazy. Then they'd send those appointment surveys where "if you can't give us a 10 on everything please call us first." I gave up on that on that with my 2nd 2015 and started doing them again, like for my old VWs. I still have a contract out to get the engineers would thought that filter setup was a bright idea.

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
I still have a contract out to get the engineers would thought that filter setup was a bright idea.
Maybe in Germany they can find qualified people to do oil changes. In that respect, the oil filter placement is not that bad.
Here is the usa, where we hire untrained people for lube jobe, poor placement AND plastics stand no chance. Something will get damaged at some point. It's just silly that we are at the point of worrying about a simple oil change!!! Way to go VW...

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
I think there's a market opportunity for someone to make an aftermarket replacement out of metal.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I think there's a market opportunity for someone to make an aftermarket replacement out of metal.

There is an opportunity to make virtually ALL the plastic engine pieces out of metal. And some have. But mostly for the VAG gas engines. Some of the troublesome plastic water flanges and water pump housings are now available in aluminum. I am not yet aware of anyone making oil filter housings that way, but I can provide plenty of times where this is an issue and a metal one would have made it a total non-issue (once the part was installed, anyway).