Common Animal Nest Areas?

jetpackjbd

TDI
2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI DSG
Hi, I just got a 2011 VW Jetta TDI DSG for $3890. It’s got 200K miles, had one owner up until now, and was frequently serviced. It’s got some scratches but nothing major, and runs just fine. No faded paint, headlights still shiny, no rust; it looks almost new. It had a bit of a smell when I went to look at it before buying, it was faint and not overly unpleasant so I figured it was a “people-smell” that I’m not used to. But now that I’ve bought it, I’ve noticed the smell is quite strong under the hood. And I’m 99% sure it’s a carcass smell now.
I have no idea where to check, I checked the air filters and they’re fine. I’m guessing I should remove the skid plate next? I doubt I’ll just find an animal on the bottom but it seems to be the next easiest area to check. Any suggestions from people with experiences like this? Thanks

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Wouldnt be surprised if the cabin filter wasnt changed in a very long time. Usually thats the first place to start for smells like said above. Does it have a sunroof by any chance? Maybe check to see a carpet is damp and if you're smelling wet carpet/foam.

jetpackjbd

TDI
Wouldnt be surprised if the cabin filter wasnt changed in a very long time. Usually thats the first place to start for smells like said above. Does it have a sunroof by any chance? Maybe check to see a carpet is damp and if you're smelling wet carpet/foam.
I’ll check, the smell is noticeably stronger outside the car in the engine bay than inside the car though, and it’s distinctly dead animal stink. Regardless, the filter probably should be changed and it wouldn’t hurt to give the interior a deep clean. It does have a sunroof which seems fine, although I noticed the windshield seals look different. I’ll get a picture in a bit, I think it’s normal but I don’t know whether it leaks or not since it hasn’t rained.

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
Sometimes they crawl or chew their way up in the heat blanket attached to the hood. The other spot to look is passenger front bumper, in front of the windshield washer reservoir. I had one trying to find a drink there -chewed through the washer lines.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Battery cover if you have one is a good give away cause they usually chew through there first, then the hood blanket.

jetpackjbd

TDI
Sometimes they crawl or chew their way up in the heat blanket attached to the hood. The other spot to look is passenger front bumper, in front of the windshield washer reservoir. I had one trying to find a drink there -chewed through the washer lines.
This might be it. I’ll check when I get home but that would make the most sense; it gets worse when the engine is hot and is especially rancid when the hood is open. Thanks!

jetpackjbd

TDI
Well, I opened the hood today and the stench is gone. I was going to check the heat blanket but I couldn’t smell anything to check if it was coming from there. Weird that it went away but I’m grateful, if it comes back I’ll be sure to check there. Thanks for your suggestions!

jetpackjbd

TDI
Smell isn’t noticeable inside the cabin, however it’s even stronger now outside. It’s extra prevalent when the engine is warm and barely noticeable when the engine’s cold. I’ve smelt and felt around the heat blanket; I’m pretty sure it’s not there but I haven’t taken it off since I don’t feel like regluing it.

Any other tips? I’ll check the radiator area next, and probably underneath the engine cover after that.