Clutch replacement then coolant leak.

Billion003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
I had to get my 2011 Golf TDI, 6 speed manual, clutch replaced recently. A week or so after getting it back from the dealership that replaced it the coolant level alarm went off. I added coolant to the proper level and a few days after that it went off again - and again more coolant was added.
After the first coolant alarm I called the dealership to ask if the radiator/coolant system is taken apart during a clutch replacement. The rep said no that the undercarriage, or some such, is lowered. The implication was the falling coolant level shouldn't have been caused by the replacement of the clutch.

I find it interesting that the car had never exhibited low coolant levels until this clutch replacement. Except for this clutch its been a near perfect automobile.

Yesterday, I noticed a small spot on the ground under the right hand side front - when facing the front of the car.

For the pros here...is there any loosening up of hoses, etc., when a clutch is replaced? Soon, I'll be back at the dealership to discuss it. Hearing some feedback here will allow me to walk in better prepared to discuss things.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Could be related to careless work, or completely unrelated. I'm curious what the dealership charges for a clutch job.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You do not have to tap into the cooling system to remove the transmission to replace the clutch on that car.

I would let them look at it first and figure out what is actually leaking before accusing them of it being their fault. It may not be at all related.

You do need to remove the air cleaner assembly, and there is a small coolant vent hose in that area, and it is possible that if not treated carefully the nipple the hose attaches to could crack. Certainly a possibility anyway. But until you know what it is...

Some of these cars had a clearance issue with the cooling fan causing them to rub a tiny hole in the radiator.

Last edited:

Billion003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
Got the Golf back today. According to the dealership, it turned out to be a leak in the radiator caused by a screw when the splash guard was replaced, from back in April when the oil was changed. Though the low coolant level alarm went of only after the clutch was replaced. Maybe some jiggling of things when the clutch was replaced forced the penetration of the screw into the radiator.