Cluster Lights Went Out Suddenly ...

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
So to begin, I'll shed a little light on some info. I have an IMMOB 2 full FIS Sport Cluster in kph that I bought about 5 or 6 years ago and had installed and it's been great. Had the mileage adapted via Vag-Tacho by a local member and I love the info on the MFD.

Something else I need to explain is that I drive with my lights on all the time. I start the car and turn on the headlight switch to light up my HIDs, taillights, and all interior dash lights. It's a habit I got into years ago and it's not something that's open to debate, it's simply the way I drive.

Now the problem - a couple of nights ago I got into my car after work and started the car and turned on the lights .. and the cluster lights didn't go on. I checked the dimmer rheostat to make sure it wasn't turned right off, but it was working fine, as were all the other interior lights (radio, HAVC controls, boost/EGT/oil pressure gauges).

How probable is it that all the cluster lights suddenly died? Is it more likely that a fuse went? Is there any other possible cause for something like this? I haven't had any wiring done on the car for over 3 years since the gauges were added so it's not that something new may have caused the problem.

Anyone got any ideas?

Nihilator

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 1.8t wagon
Cluster lights are designed not to come on if any of your parking lights fail. It's a little light check. So start there, and let us know if that doesn't work.

Oh, plus, there are two fuses that run the cluster...one is, I believe, for the lights, but I can't remember which at the moment.

--Chris

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for the help, Chris! :D

I do have taillight out but the funny thing is I've had lights out before and have never experienced the instrument cluster lights shutting off! Seems strange that this is happening now for the first time. I'll grab a new taillight bulb today and see if that helps solve the problem.

If not, then I'll start checking fuses. :rolleyes:

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
UPDATE

So I went and bought a new taillight bulb and installed it today (finally!) and ... nothing! No cluster lights other than the warning light(s) and still no taillight. Strange!

I've noticed that the driver's side taillight seems to burn out at least 2-3 times a year for some reason, but I've never had a problem with it not working after a new bulb was installed! Now I'm wondering if there's possibly something wrong with the bulb tray in that taillight that's causing the problems.

And to top it off, I still don't have cluster lights so I can't read my speedo or tach when driving at night.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
The parking lights would include the side markers, I imagine... are they OK?

On the tail lamp, is the bulb actually burnt out (i.e. you see a broken filament)? I have a periodic issue where the tail lamp seems to suffer from a loose fit or contact trouble in the bulb tray; R&R fixes it (for a little while).

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The bulb looked fine, but it was hard to tell as the light in the underground parking isn't the best. And the new bulb didn't seem to fit as snugly as it should into the bulb tray, leading me to think that this could be part of the problem.

All other marker lights and indicator lights are working, aside from the instrument cluster lights. And this is kinda strange to me since, as I posted above, I've had taillights go out on me previously and I've never experienced the cluster lights going out before.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I've had parking/tail lights out before and it didn't affect the IC lights. But, last winter I had a fuse go out for the parking lights (there are two fuses-left and right). If EITHER r or l fuse is out-no IC lights!!

But, since you report having all other marker lights working, fuse(s) must be OK.

Last edited:

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
Ed, do your brake lights work? The reason I ask is because on my 79 Trans Am if the brake light fuse blew I would lose the dash lights as well. I do not know how these newer cars work. I know if the brake light switch goes bad the GP light flashes, but not sure about a fuse going out.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
In cases like these, that's where these come in handy...

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-converters/led-automotive-fuses.htm

I blew a fuse once wiring up my gauge lighting. I had a time finding the right one. My hvac controls all light up but at a reduced level. All the cluster backlighing was out. Mine was Fuse 3, listed in Bentley as the Foglight relay. Fuse door icons show it as a little light bulb.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Another Update -

So after thinking that the bulb wasn't the problem, but the bulb tray (which holds the bulbs) might have an issue since the taillight bulb kept falling out into the taillight, I replaced the bulb tray with one from spare set of taillights. The taillight bulb fits better in the "new" tray, but still no taillight and still no instrument cluster lights.

I also noticed that the driver's side bumper marker light is out and the bulb looks fine, which leads me to think it may have something to do with the fuse(s), just like jetttawreck posted. Unfortunately I'll have to wait until tomorrow to check it out.

jettawreck said:
I've had parking/tail lights out before and it didn't affect the IC lights. But, last winter I had a fuse go out for the parking lights (there are two fuses-left and right). If EITHER r or l fuse is out-no IC lights!!

But, since you report having all other marker lights working, fuse(s) must be OK.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Final Update

So I finally got around to checking the fuses and, with the help of my Bentley manual, locatrd the fuses to do with the lights (head, tail and marker) and found the culprit - a burnt 5 amp fuse. I was down by the local dealership and asked if they had one I could buy and they just gave it.

So thanks to all that replied with suggestions, and especially to jettawreck who nailed it on the head with his call. :D

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Ed's TDI said:
Final Update

So I finally got around to checking the fuses and, with the help of my Bentley manual, locatrd the fuses to do with the lights (head, tail and marker) and found the culprit - a burnt 5 amp fuse. I was down by the local dealership and asked if they had one I could buy and they just gave it.

So thanks to all that replied with suggestions, and especially to jettawreck who nailed it on the head with his call. :D
Strange deal, huh?? Mine burnt out one fuse for the right side parking lite after a broken wire on a side lamp sorted out on my aluminum skid plate at night. Poof!! no IC lights. Didn't know parking lites were out so checked out all other related fuse until I found the relationship between the IC and marker lights. Another VW "quirk". Sure would be nice if the owner's manual gave some sort of clue. Just glad I have/had a fuse chart off someones post here printed out to decipher the symbols!
Thanks for the final update. Always good to know how/if things work out.