Cluster Dumps

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Just curious if anyone knows of a repository for VAG cluster eeprom dumps? I'm looking for 1J5 920 946 C. For some reason I have two VIN codes showing... Something tells me my original adaptation to my car didn't go exactly as planned. I'd like to recode it to get away from this:

It looks like the previous "adaptation" didn't get cleared out correctly when the cluster was adapted to my car. I don't know enough about the eeprom dump itself to fix the rax hex data. I figure it's easiest to re-write the eeprom and start from scratch so to speak. Any better way to make that extra VIN go away?

Last edited:

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Well, after discussing with a couple others with different clusters, I don't think the "X's" should be present.

Last edited:

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Well, after discussing with a couple others with different clusters, I don't think the "X's" should be present.
I'll play around with the dump again tonight and see what I can do.

the XXXs are normal when the cluster was readapted to another car.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Wow jetta ,97 that was fast! Unfortunately, I am without an eeprom flasher device currently. Waiting for vagdashcom in the mail though. Should be here soon. I'll report back ASAP if your coding did the trick.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
jetta ,97 is no joke when it comes to hex manipulation. His eeprom mod removed the vin from the last vehicle my FIS was in:

Oh, and vagdashcom RULEZ compared to vagtacho!

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Now you say that :( My vagtacho just arrived a few days ago but I haven't played with it yet.
My Vagdashcom just arrived today :eek: VagTacho never let me down per se, it's just that it took from 2-12 tries every time I needed to connect. Once I had it stop "mid eeprom write" on me. Luckily, I was able to write it again no problem. I was using an "unnoficial copy" so I cannot dis the full product. What I do know, is that my "unnoficial" Vagdashcom connected the first time, has a built in hex editor, a nicer windows interface, allows you to change soft coding options, read and clear cluster codes, and adjust the K factor to correct your speedometer... I just cannot recommend VagTacho over Vagdashcom...
Yep, Marin is da man ! He figured out how to make my Audi TT cluster work with my EDC15 ECU, complete with correct VINs and full IMMO3 functionality !
For sure! Anyone in need of cluster/immo/ecu assistance should contact him! Oh, here's a VCDS screenshot of my cluster too that I just took after uploading the file Marin sent me:

Mike_V

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
What I do know, is that my "unnoficial" Vagdashcom connected the first time, has a built in hex editor, a nicer windows interface, allows you to change soft coding options, read and clear cluster codes, and adjust the K factor to correct your speedometer... I just cannot recommend VagTacho over Vagdashcom...
Frankly, I don't think the failings of one pirated product are best remedied by using another pirated product. Pretty much nobody around here has posted much about using pirated copies of VagDashCom; if the clones are as imperfect as the VagTacho ones have turned out to be, you may still end up in trouble!

I always read twice, write changes, and read again to confirm changes. I have a legit but older (v 2.6) VagTacho, have done quite a few reads and writes and so far this double-checking has never revealed a problem. Money well spent in my book.

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
My Vagdashcom just arrived today :eek: VagTacho never let me down per se, it's just that it took from 2-12 tries every time I needed to connect. Once I had it stop "mid eeprom write" on me. Luckily, I was able to write it again no problem. I was using an "unnoficial copy" so I cannot dis the full product. What I do know, is that my "unnoficial" Vagdashcom connected the first time, has a built in hex editor, a nicer windows interface, allows you to change soft coding options, read and clear cluster codes, and adjust the K factor to correct your speedometer... I just cannot recommend VagTacho over Vagdashcom...
For sure! Anyone in need of cluster/immo/ecu assistance should contact him! Oh, here's a VCDS screenshot of my cluster too that I just took after uploading the file Marin sent me:
Why do you only have ONE VIN now? Is that normal? I have two MATCHING VINs in my instruments screen.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Why do you only have ONE VIN now? Is that normal? I have two MATCHING VINs in my instruments screen.
That is the way it needs to be. Original cluster has only one VIN.
You can do anything if you know how to play with eeprom , like mine old cluster looked like this:

Last edited:

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Oh yeah, I understand it can be modified via eeprom dump. What I'd like to know is why Phillip's cluster didn't adapt properly in the first place.

I actually had my FIS cluster adapted by a dealer as I could not read my original (stock) PIN with my vagtacho (yes, $30 clone - sorry!!). So I took my car to the dealer and they installed the new (USED with miles reset) fis. With their adaption method it adapted in minutes with the mileage perfect and everything - their machine just chugged away and did it.

In the extra field of my cluster, I have my vin, then IMMO ID, then my VIN again. Exactly like Phillips picture above, but the VINs match.

Cheers,
-Chris

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
Now you say that :( My vagtacho just arrived a few days ago but I haven't played with it yet.

heres the prices..........

AGdashCOM classic

499.00 Euro

VAG Logindetector

499,00 Euro

VAGdashCAN

699.00 Euro

VAGdashCAN für Bestandskunden

599.00 Euro

WFS tool 10polig

derzeit nicht lieferbar

Paketpreis I: VAGdashCOM + VAGdashCAN

998.00 Euro

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Oh yeah, I understand it can be modified via eeprom dump. What I'd like to know is why Phillip's cluster didn't adapt properly in the first place.

I actually had my FIS cluster adapted by a dealer as I could not read my original (stock) PIN with my vagtacho (yes, $30 clone - sorry!!). So I took my car to the dealer and they installed the new (USED with miles reset) fis. With their adaption method it adapted in minutes with the mileage perfect and everything - their machine just chugged away and did it.

In the extra field of my cluster, I have my vin, then IMMO ID, then my VIN again. Exactly like Phillips picture above, but the VINs match.

Cheers,
-Chris
Because it was readopt with used cluster, Every used Custer will do that , but if you know how to do it right way it will show only one VIN.

ta79pr

Veteran Member
TDI
02 TTQ (BEW)
This is a fascinating eeprom thread. I am swapping an 02 TT to diesel (BEW) (similar to CharlieT but I think he is EDC15). For the cluster I was hoping a simple recode would work to change to diesel, are you familiar with the cluster addresses if I was to need to modify the eeprom?
I figured a cluster recode would change fuel type to diesel and that would do the tach scaling and I could change the face and then wire up a glow plug LED and all would be good. It appears there is most likely some hex editing.
Are there check-sums necessary if manually editing like when I edit my ME7.1.1?

It is a 8N1920980E (currently coded to 07244). The dump I got using commander was 536 bytes, is that a full read (edit, I see it should be a 2meg file)?

For the recode, vcds wiki suggests:
xxxx?: Engine II
0 = Diesel Engine
2 = Gasoline Engine
4 = Turbo Gasoline Engine

so instead of 07244, a recode to 07240 would change it to a diesel, I was hoping that would change the tach scaling and all that would be needed would be a different face for the tach (and a glow plug light mod)

Last edited:

Jennifer_a

TDI
MkIV
Hi diesel-dave are you sure those prices are correct I paid €399 for vagdashcan a few weeks ago