Clean oil change, No I mean really clean

roadhard1960

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GLS 5 speed
When I change the oil in my John Deere 870 (28 hp Yanmar) the oil comes out black. When I add fresh oil and a new filter I start up the engine for a few minutes and then let the oil level settle. The oil still looks new.

I drive my 2003 up on ramps. I drain the oil by removing drain plug. I remove the filter. I get out the MityVac and suck a few ounces (almost 4) out of the oil filter housing. I install the plug. I dump a few quarts through the filter housing to fill up those passages I sucked out. I then top off the normal way. I start the engine and drive off the ramps. I check the oil and it is black. So where is all that black oil from in the Jetta that I do not see/get in the JD? Granted the JD only has 300 hours in 10 years while the 2003 probably has 3,000 hours but even when the Jetta was new oil changes were like that. Black after just a few minutes of idle.

Does draining the oil when the car is level result in more oil drained? Do the cam buckets hold that much oil? I know my Toyota 22RE cam buckets hold a fair bit of oil but like blood, a little can seem like a lot. Next oil change I will nerd out and try to get the car level before I finish the oil change. I will also remove the cam cover to see what quantity of oil can be sucked out.

Last oil analysis showed no signs of oil issues if you ignore the fact that the air filter was not properly installed and was letting in excessive dirt. Shame on me. I may never hit a million miles if I do not do better air filter changes. TBN of 6. 10,000 miles on sample.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Black oil is of no concern. Your Yanmar probably doesn't have an oil cooler on it, it is physically smaller, holds more oil (5.1 quarts), and has solid lifters so it will take longer for it to become black.

Now, can someone tell me why engine oil would be brown after going 1.5 X the oil change interval and have a viscosity of 50 Wt?

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
whitedog said:
Now, can someone tell me why engine oil would be brown after going 1.5 X the oil change interval and have a viscosity of 50 Wt?
Water contamination?? (pure guess) Did you have it analyzed?

Bill

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
40X40 said:
Water contamination?? (pure guess) Did you have it analyzed?

Bill
That is what Stavely told us from the UOA. Also high sillycon.

I wonder if a small amount of fuel got in the oil (and I know that it did) and that oil was never changed, would that fuel cause the viscosity change over that much time.

Hmmm

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
man, you worry too much about. just change the oil and drive the car..

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
roadhard1960 said:
I start the engine and drive off the ramps. I check the oil and it is black. So where is all that black oil from in the Jetta that I do not see/get in the JD?
Your John Deere doesn't have an EGR system. But you might ask the folks who have their EGRs totally disabled, to see if their oil turns black as quickly.

roadhard1960

Veteran Member
TDI
The egr was broke between the timing belt change and about 150,000 miles when I bought a new one. The egr would not open up because the diaphram was pretty leaky.

On topic question. These guys have testimonials that claim their bypass filter helps oil look pretty new after being in use a while. http://filtrationsolutionsww.com/ Does the Amsoil kit do anything to help the oil look pretty? The threads on the DG/Amsoil kits I read said that the smaller than a few microns stuff that is not filtered out still lets the oil get pretty black. Are the testimonials from the FS-2500 kit exagerating the cleanliness?

OilGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Along the OP lines, why does my owners manual (03) state 4.8 quarts when 4.8 doesn't come out when you drain. I've drained mine level and on ramps with the same result. I get ~7 oz of oil out of the filter housing as well. It almost seems that 4 qts is just about right.

roadhard1960

Veteran Member
TDI
Well .7 quarts mixing up could make for some dirty looking oil just after a change. Thanks for suggesting it is not the ramps that is the issue. I change oil in to a 5 gallon metal bucket. I do not know how much drains and I buy oil by the gallon. I seem to be too lackadaisical to notice how much is going back in.

etextdi

Veteran Member
TDI
06 jetta
roadhard1960 said:
I do not know how much drains and I buy oil by the gallon. I seem to be too lackadaisical to notice how much is going back in.
I used to be lackadaisical...but then I got one (..daisical) and now I'm hardwired for minutiae..

...checking oil by the ounce

Acidhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta tdi
roadhard1960 said:
The egr was broke between the timing belt change and about 150,000 miles when I bought a new one. The egr would not open up because the diaphram was pretty leaky.
On topic question. These guys have testimonials that claim their bypass filter helps oil look pretty new after being in use a while. http://filtrationsolutionsww.com/ Does the Amsoil kit do anything to help the oil look pretty? The threads on the DG/Amsoil kits I read said that the smaller than a few microns stuff that is not filtered out still lets the oil get pretty black. Are the testimonials from the FS-2500 kit exagerating the cleanliness?
No they are not...check the video..just odered one for my big truck. Would like to put one one the TDI but been taking a beating this year from work and the economy.:mad:

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
If you are running the correct oil don't worry about it turning black quickly, because it will. Many UOA show great results even way past the 10K change interval. With correct oil and maintainance the engine will outlast the rest of the car. For what it's worth my Shibura tractor turns the oil (Rotella 15/40 nonsynthetic) BLACK right away, but the old International TD30 dozer doesn't.