CEL and flashing glow plug light after motor swap

philipvitale

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf
Hi guys,

I am really hoping someone could help me. I have a 03 ALH GOLF TDI and I picked up a motor from a 99 Jetta with low miles that I swapped into my 03. I have had over a dozen of these ALH TDI'S and I have done 4 motor swaps without any problems until now. I consider myself somewhat of an expert on these cars but this time I am truly stumped.

So after the swap I fired it up and and it ran pretty good then after a few seconds it starts to stutter but keeps running. The codes I am getting are:

17656 - Start of Injection Timing Regulation

P1248-35-10 - Control Deviation - Intermittent

17970 - Quantity Adjuster (N146) P1562-35-10 - Upper Limit Reached - Intermittent

At first I thought my pump timing was off so I took everything apart and made sure everything was timed just right and still same thing. Then I replaced the IP with a good working one I pulled out of 1 of my other 4 TDI'S and still the same thing. The I thought maybe my connection to injector 3 was bad because I did have a 11 mm pump with auto injectors in it previously so I had to change the plug because I have a 10 mm pump with manual injectors now but again same thing. I have think it's something electrical because it fires right up no smoke and then after a few seconds you can hear the engine change a little but it still drives it's just really jerky. The only other thing that was different is I used a EBJ transmission instead of the original EGR one and my reverse lights wont go off but I don't think that should have anything to do with the cel. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Phil

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Just for clarity, did you read the ross-tech page on each of those codes?
Flashing GP light could mean a bunch of things unrelated to the plugs.
Once you've changed components (like the IP for example) it helps to clear codes to see where you're at.
The first thing that came to mind after reading your post was crank sensor but...

By no means am I an expert, just throwing ideas out there.
, but it would help others help you to know if you went through the ross-tech "Possible Solutions" sections.

philipvitale

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf
Damn I was really hoping that was it. I replaced it all together with another one from a different engine with no luck.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Check the wiring to the pump. As in load test the wires between the pump and the ecm.

philipvitale

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf
Well I put that new crankshaft sensor and adjusted the IP timing and IQ to almost perfect and the car is running great. I managed to get rid of the one code for start of injection timing but I still have the one for quantity adjuster and glow plug light flashing. I can try doing a continuity test from the pump connector to the ecm. Does anyone know the pins I need to use on the ecm? I did check the resistance for the quantity adjuster and #3 injector and everything tests fine. The other thing I noticed is even if the car is not running I can clear the code and it comes right back on without me starting the car.

philipvitale

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf
Well I still am stumped by this flashing glow plug light and cel for quantity adjuster upper limit reached (17970). I did a little research and on my measuring blocks in channel 19 I have 3.7 volts for the mod. piston sensor which is a little low and that might be the reason why my I have the cel and mil. My question is, is there any way to get that voltage up a little so maybe it would shut the light off? If not I think I am just going to leave it and drive it the way it is. It is a great running car with plenty of power and no signs of problems.