Car requires 505.01 and dealer used 505.00, does it matter?

veryhumid

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Today I asked for some 5w40 for my BRM, which calls for 505.01. They sent me off with Castrol Edge Professional but when I got home and looked it up I found out they don't make it in 505.01 for 5w40. They either put in 5w30 of the correct spec or 5w40 of the incorrect spec. Someone in service is going to call me tomorrow because parts was closed when I called.

Is the difference between 505.00 and 505.01 worth me requesting they change the oil again?

Castrol Edge Professional: http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/b.../EDGE_Professional_European_PDS_July_2012.pdf

The service description on my invoice uses the part number "ZVW352167Q :Castrol Edge"

Last edited:

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
In all likelihood they put in a 5w-30, VW 505.01 oil. Ideally you'd want a 5w-40 for the PD engine, but the oil they used does meet the specification. I'd probably run it for 5000 miles, then change to something thicker.

If your VW isn't under warranty, a 5w-40, heavy duty diesel oil meeting the API, CJ-4/SM/SN spec would be my choice.

TS

veryhumid

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I hope that is the case, but it is written on the order "Use 5W40". The car has 120k, I recently bought it and I know the previous owner aways used the 505.01 5W30, always on a 5k interval. Like you said, it has come to my attention that 5W40 is preferable to preserve the cam operation, that is why I requested it.

Are there some particular oils you would recommend to save me some research?

mogwai

TDI
2005 Jetta PD
if memory serves me right there isnt a 5w30 505.01 approved oil. I'd be taking off the valve cover and looking for cam chamfer. Drain it, throw in a 505.01 approved or rotella t6 5w40 or mobil 1 TDT. personally have run the rotella for over 100km's with no cam wear.

cheers!

veryhumid

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
if memory serves me right there isnt a 5w30 505.01 approved oil. I'd be taking off the valve cover and looking for cam chamfer. Drain it, throw in a 505.01 approved or rotella t6 5w40 or mobil 1 TDT. personally have run the rotella for over 100km's with no cam wear.
cheers!
There are actually a number of 5W30 505.01, Castrol (Edge, SLX...), Elf, Motul, Total, probably others. Here is a TSB regarding acceptable oils: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/images/pdf/vwoiltsb.pdf

If they used SLX I wouldn't have even noticed but they wrote Catrol Edge in my invoice notes, which is why I looked it up.

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
If they put in a 505.00 oil, it's wrong, period. The 505.01 oil is designed to handle higher shearing loads, which your engine definitely needs. You want either a 5W40 oil rated 505.01 or alternatively you could go with a heavy duty 5W40 truck oil.

The only Castrol oil available here that's 505.01 rated is this one. http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25_28&products_id=2517

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
The TDIclub vendors have what you need and they assist in keeping this site free from pop up ads. Bora parts and IDparts come to mind. there are others also.

veryhumid

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
So I talked to customer service at the dealer. She was sooo annoyed and had no understanding of the correct oil specification. She was convinced I was asking for the wrong oil (5W40) but said they put that in at my request. She eventually gave me to a parts guy who told me what I wanted to hear and that they would have used a 5W30 oil, even though she said otherwise. So I don't trust either of them. If anyone knows what this VW part actually is, please post! I think this is the SLX 5W30 part number even though it says Castrol Edge right afterwards. So confused...

ZVW352167Q DSP

The worst case is that they put in a 505.00 oil. I will just take it out early. I am convinced they won't own up to it and definitely won't make it right.

Why am I torturing myself at the dealer?!?! Save me nutsnbolts!!!

Do you guys not have access to lubromoly oils???
?

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
First, you can always look in your manual, and show the dealer assclowns the bold print.

It says the engine is factory filled with 5w40, and that should be used, but if it is not available, 5w30 can be used so long as it is a 505.01 spec.

However, experience (here and many other places) has proven time and time again that 5w30 oil no matter what spec is not good for the PD camshaft. So much so, that I stock cam kits, and do 3 or 4 a month... every one has had 5w30 oil used (usually from a dealer) or no history of oil at all.

The 5w40 505.01 spec oil we use here, Penstosin HP2, so far has proven to work well and we have vehicles in excess of 300k miles without ever even having the valve cover removed and they run like new.

Dealers are NOTORIOUS for using the wrong oil. They SHOULD be using 5w40 505.01 spec oil in these cars. Volkswagen even has a part number for it: G-052-167-M2. Theirs is a Castrol product... and it is NOT the 5w30 SLX they are so fond of using. Why on Earth so many of them choose to use an inferior 5w30 oil is beyond me, when the correct stuff is available, and costs the same. What REALLY blows me away, is that these same dealers, when the cam/lifters wear out and a hole punches through one of the lifters, will try and sell the owner a $3500 cylinder head assembly. :rolleyes: So I guess it is win-win for them, I don't know. I prefer to keep my PD engine and my customers' PD engines intact, and when I do get these mistreated ones in here, I certainly am not replacing the whole head. :cool:

bigsexyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB, '04 Jetta
Why am I torturing myself at the dealer?!?!?
This is what I was going to ask you...

If you don't have the means or desire to do it yourself, then at least buy the correct oil and filter and take it to a mom and pop and have them change it.

Stay away from the stealership.

veryhumid

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
So the service consultant was mistaken, after asking the tech and parts, 5w30 505.01 was put in. So at least there is that. In the future I plan on using the Mobile 1 diesel truck product, seems like that is a good way too go. Think of all the camshafts that could be saved if such a simple change was made from the factory! Unfortunately, if they run forever, there is no pressure to buy a new one...