Car is hard to start after just a few days especially as it gets cooler

02beater_auto

TDI
2002 Automatic ALH TDI
Doesn't take much for this to happen. Battery is newer. I don't see any draw from the battery when it is turned off either. My 5 spd doesn't act like this. 50 degrees in the morning and not driven 2 days is enough to make this manifest itself. I don't want to throw parts at it. New Bosch glow plugs and no difference.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited:

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
injection pump leaky seals or another small leak around thermo-tee etc causing it to lose some prime and get some air in? that's common problem

02beater_auto

TDI
2002 Automatic ALH TDI
injection pump leaky seals or another small leak around thermo-tee etc causing it to lose some prime and get some air in? that's common problem
Thanks, it did exactly the same thing with the last IP too. This one was resealed. Thermo-tee maybe? I don't even know what that is...yet anyways.

02beater_auto

TDI
2002 Automatic ALH TDI
"Resealed" means nothing unless you know what seals were replaced. So, what seals were replaced?

Brett
My guru did it. I have no idea. The fact that it behaves exactly the same before and after the IP swap again makes me pretty sure that 2 pumps are likely not going to manifest the exact same symptom.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Yep, and in addition they like to crack and in many cases can be verrrrry difficult to detect that. Finally, the bore on the filter can be out-of-spec (not-quite round) which of course leads to the same problem.....

2nsane2005

TDI
2001 Jetta Tdi Blue Lagoon
What’s the condition of your starter? I slapped in a brand new Valeo starter motor in my 2001 Golf yesterday and now it starts amazing! After my car sat for a few days it would get harder to start. The best money I’ve spent on this car. I know you don’t want to throw parts at your issue but maybe it’s something to consider.

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
What’s the condition of your starter? I slapped in a brand new Valeo starter motor in my 2001 Golf yesterday and now it starts amazing! After my car sat for a few days it would get harder to start. The best money I’ve spent on this car. I know you don’t want to throw parts at your issue but maybe it’s something to consider.
This is probably the correct answer. I had my original starter replaced last year after years of ****ty starting in the cold, and was AMAZED how fast the engine turns now.

Brett San Diego

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta wagon manual
Is the engine cranking slowly? Just saying that it doesn't start can mean many things from you turn the key and nothing happens to you get full robust cranking of the engine but no firing.

Brett

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I believe "Thermo-Tee" refers to the T-connector on the fuel filter. It has a pair of O-rings that seal it. Notorious for being a source of air leaks in the fuel system.

Brett
It's the T connector that you attach the "mickey mouse clip" to hold it into your fuel filter.

Also, I don't suppose you're one of the lucky ones with clear-ish fuel lines? I have all my ALHs using those, so I can actually see fuel flow going to the IP (which has helped me troubleshoot when I had similar issues).

02beater_auto

TDI
2002 Automatic ALH TDI
Any competent TDI mechanic would easily diagnose cold start, guru, not sure.
50 is hardly cold, so we don't think it's the glow plug system. The issue following the temperature is a clue.
Is the engine cranking slowly? Just saying that it doesn't start can mean many things from you turn the key and nothing happens to you get full robust cranking of the engine but no firing.

Brett
It does crank slowly. Reminds me of other vehicles I own prior to a starter being replaced after going completely bad. I too find myself amazed at the sound a good starter makes.