Can't get start back in 95 passat TDI

mackconsult

Veteran Member
TDI
95 TDI Passat Wagon
Took the starter out a few weeks back to do a core return at LKQ, the unit that showed up had a broken connector so that had to get another one trucked up from California.

So the starter mounting nuts sat out for a couple weeks. Not I can't seem to get em back in and I can see that maybe things have settled a little. Going to try and put a jack under the motor for a very slight lift.

mackconsult

Veteran Member
TDI
95 TDI Passat Wagon
Thanks Abacus, that is what I thought. Man what a bear .... I have loosened the 17 mm cap screw that holds the bell housing to the bracket. Jacked the motor up and still can't get either of the bolts to line up, in fact the bottom one is way off, top one is close.

Not sure were to go from here besides putting it on a dolly and taking it to a mechanic.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Jack the motor towards the front of the car. Get the top bolt started first, then jack until the wheels are almost off the ground and the bottom should go right in.

mackconsult

Veteran Member
TDI
95 TDI Passat Wagon
Took some fidgeting, but that is almost exactly what I did and just got the bottom one in.

Next time will be sure to jack up and keep jacked up during the swap, which hopefully I shouldn't have to do to often.

Thanks