California Bans Biodiesel Storage in Underground Tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biodezl

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2005, Teal; Golf, 1999, Metalic Green, Auto
Last week I visited Ramos Oil in West Sacramento to fill up with B99 only to discover that they had been told by the California State Water Resources Board to cease and desist. I did a little googling and found the following website where the State Water Board posts is regulations regarding Underground Storage Tanks (UST's.)

http://www.swrcb.ca.gov/ust/

The following documents are listed along the right hand side. They are all a must-read:

http://www.swrcb.ca.gov/ust/docs/biodiesel_update_jan09.pdf

http://www.swrcb.ca.gov/ust/docs/lia_masterletter_1.pdf

http://www.swrcb.ca.gov/ust/docs/biodiesel_regulations%20letter_1_20080229.pdf

In summary, the California Water Control Board, in its infinite wisdom believes that

1. Biodiesel of concentrations greater than 2 percent contains chemicals (other than diesel itself) that are potentially toxic and therefore falls within their jurisdiction;

2. Switching from D2 to B03 or greater triggers review and approval by the local water control authority;

3. Underground Storage Tanks (UST) must be proven to be compatible with biodiesel storage unless each batch of biodiesel delivered to an unverified UST has been tested by an independent testing laboratory and demonstrated NOT to contain any toxic chemicals.

One of the letters linked above discusses Governator Schwartzenegger's decistion to veto a bill that would have exempted B20 from these regulations.

Basically, this is the end of commercial biodiesel in California.

Last edited:

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
I read your summary carefully, but did not read the originals (although I do appreciate your linking to them: good job).

I am a big fan of biodiesel, and use it myself. I am also a chemist, and I have to tell you that although I'm not crazy about the extra layer of bureaucracy, their reasoning is solid, and I'd support it. The last thing a green product such as biodiesel needs is to make things worse in some regard. I will point out that biodiesel that is high enough in quality to meet the latest ASTM standards (and which should be the only kind you buy to put in your TDI) would meet those requirements. Additionally, why in the world would you want to buy biodiesel from someone whose tanks leak? If biodiesel attacks the tanks, they shouldn't be used for biodiesel. If the tanks leak biodiesel OUT, they will also leak water IN, thereby making the fuel less than desirable for your TDI.

So c'mon, enough with the knee-jerk reaction here.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
I've never seen a tank certified for biodiesel. I think that's the concern. No offense Californians, but your leaders are about as dense as bricks. Without some special seal of approval I can see this being a huge road block for any startup. On the flip side above ground tanks are cheaper and likely to soar in sales.

jhintontdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI DSG
This is not the end of Biodiesel. It is the end of the wild-wild-west, brew whatever you want biodiesel. This bill is designed to move biodiesel towards a consistent standard by requiring fuel stations to know what is going into their tank.

The unregulated nature of biodiesel is what keeps manufacturers from approving more than B5 in their vehicles. When manufacturers know that biodiesel will be made to a consistent standard they can design fuel systems to handle this fuel and allow greater blends of biodiesel.

d-man

Veteran Member
TDI
05 jetta PD
hinton is right, and from a business and commercial stand point to have international standards for the bio-diesel is the next most logical step to mass production and increased availability. No more back alley transactions like your buying drugs. Plus a lot of petrol stations are privately owned and if they knew that the bio fuel was not going to clog the filters and damage their pumps they are more then inclined to offer b99 as a option to thier customers.

grizzlydiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 speed
jhintontdi said:
This is not the end of Biodiesel. It is the end of the wild-wild-west, brew whatever you want biodiesel.
could not have said it better myself.

and as naturalist said, the logic is sound, there are lots of nasty chemicals used in the titration of biodiesel, if it is properly washed and dried, those are removed, but if its a rushed batch, they can leave some of those nastys in suspension, which can damage injection components.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
First link requires that the underground container have "hazardous substance" to be regulated. Above ground storage is unaffected.

Second link relates to heating equipment (burners and such) that might not have components compatible with biodiesel fuel properties.

Third link refers to biodiesel blends (1% to 99.9%) not B100. The issue is again underground storage, not above ground.

Fourth link is the tough one. It basically states that no purity of biodiesel is sufficient to assure that there is no trace of hazardous substance in it. Even the purest, most methanol free batch that can be produced will naturally degrade and produce peroxides, which are classified as hazardous substance. Additives to combat degradation of pure biodiesel are hazardous, too.

The one issue that posters so far appear to be unable to recognize is that each of these storage container regulations only pertain to underground storage.

Last edited:

visionlogic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
One day I'll visit Perfectfornia, to see all the wonderful things the perfecticians and perfectocrats have so carefully crafted... and then join all the other burro riders for a scenic plod along the Pacific Coast Dirtway.

grizzlydiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 speed
Lug_Nut said:
The one issue that posters so far appear to be unable to recognize is that each of these storage container regulations only pertain to underground storage.
give it time, the concern is for leeching toxins into the ground and thus groundwater. if someone decides that above ground tanks leak, and therefore the chemicals end up in the ground, there will be additonal regulations drafted. Like i said though, im not concerned about the future of biodiesel in the slightest, i just think it is something that should be regulated.

Geomorph

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf and 2002 NB
I recently started buying B5 at a couple of stations that opened up in the Sacramento area. It looks like B5 is okay per the Underwriters Laboratories giving approval for their certified tanks. Sounds like they are on certified underground tanks for higher blends. Does not apply to above ground tanks as has already been mentioned.

I work in groundwater clean up and have worked on many former leaking underground storage tank cases. I understand the caution here to make sure everything is tested and certified as just about every corner gas station that existed before 1998 leaked. I don't know about the situation elsewhere, but California might be extra cautious because we rely heavily on groundwater supplies, especially in the Central Valley.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Geomorph said:
I work in groundwater clean up and have worked on many former leaking underground storage tank cases. I understand the caution here to make sure everything is tested and certified as just about every corner gas station that existed before 1998 leaked. I don't know about the situation elsewhere, but California might be extra cautious because we rely heavily on groundwater supplies, especially in the Central Valley.
I thought California relied on the snow melt in the mountains as a primary source to move irrigation water down the aquaduct to the Central Valley and to Southern California.

Federal law written in the 1990's covered all USTs in the US. I was in Ca when the rules were first drafted (late 1980's) and worked for ARCO. I registered 40,000 USTs for them.

Geomorph

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf and 2002 NB
aja8888 said:
I thought California relied on the snow melt in the mountains as a primary source to move irrigation water down the aquaduct to the Central Valley and to Southern California.

Federal law written in the 1990's covered all USTs in the US. I was in Ca when the rules were first drafted (late 1980's) and worked for ARCO. I registered 40,000 USTs for them.
California does rely on the snow melt big time. But even in Sacramento that is the first big user of the snow melt, we have groundwater municipal supply wells to augment the demand in the summer and during drought. In addition, many cities in the Central Valley are not at all connected to the state water project. Medium sized and smaller cities such as Modesto, Merced, Davis, and others rely entirely on groundwater pumped from wells.

I believe that 1998 was the deadline for upgrading all USTs to the those early standards. I have worked on a number of groundwater clean up projects that came to light when the old USTs were dug out in 1998, exposing the leaking that had been going on underneath of them.

vwtdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
02.5 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI
visionlogic said:
One day I'll visit Perfectfornia, to see all the wonderful things the perfecticians and perfectocrats have so carefully crafted... and then join all the other burro riders for a scenic plod along the Pacific Coast Dirtway.
I would never live in commiefornia.

Sucks for those in CA that used bio
IMO these are ignorant answers. Opinions are like a$$holes, we all have one and sometimes you think the other person's stinks. Should we talk about Alabama or Texas?
The station just 3 miles from me that has bio, has had an above ground tank for years now.
The solar center in Hopland and the station in Willits too.
I'm just concerned for the Renner card lock stations up north that have bio in ground. These are the first steps to regulate(and tax more) bio and cut out the home brew bio. The best part about a separate tank is you dont have to wait in line with the other gasser and rot gut diesel users. Although, in my town there can be a line at the bio pump too.

Last edited:

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
vwtdiwagon said:
These are the first steps to regulate(and tax more) bio and cut out the home brew bio.
Umm, wouldn't that actually drive up home brew production? Much like the home brew production of untaxed liquor?

If I can buy untaxed BD for less than I can buy the taxed stuff at the station...

OR if I can buy buy untaxed RED stuff for less than I can buy it at the station...

see what I mean?

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
aja8888 said:

San Diego is looking to use local ground water. But we have a big problem with leaking gasoline from a large tank farm just north of I 8 and I 15. The gas is flowing towards the San Diego river, less than 3/10th of a mile away. Clean up will not be completed till 2025.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
if bio can't be trusted in a storage tank can it be safe in my car?

vwtdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
02.5 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI
FL2AK-tdi said:
Umm, wouldn't that actually drive up home brew production? Much like the home brew production of untaxed liquor?

If I can buy untaxed BD for less than I can buy the taxed stuff at the station...

OR if I can buy buy untaxed RED stuff for less than I can buy it at the station...

see what I mean?
Yes, you do have a point. Some people will fill their tanks w/ red diesel to save a few cents. Most wont.
Around here WVO Mercedes are common, and you can get home brew bio easily but you never really know whats in it. I think that they are trying to create an inforstructure to sell this fuel. The people who are making there own fuel arent paying taxes on it, so Uncle Sam wants his cut.
The tank issue will be a problem for some stations but alot in my area have stored it above ground for years. Mabye it was the easiet way to add another tank. I dont know, I never asked. Just my $.02:)

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
John:

Santa Barbra built thier own salt water desalinization plat in the mid 80's drought as they are not on the aquaduct system and their reservoir dried up. I suppose San Diego can do the same too:)

john.jackson9213 said:
aja8888 said:

San Diego is looking to use local ground water. But we have a big problem with leaking gasoline from a large tank farm just north of I 8 and I 15. The gas is flowing towards the San Diego river, less than 3/10th of a mile away. Clean up will not be completed till 2025.

visionlogic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
vwtdiwagon said:
IMO these are ignorant answers. Opinions are like a$$holes, we all have one and sometimes you think the other person's stinks. Should we talk about Alabama or Texas?
The quotes you refer to as "ignorant answers" are not answers at all. They are comments. And while I can't speak for my Texas brother, I can tell you 1) my comment was deliberate sarcasm aimed at the widespread, knee-jerk, disingenuous regulatory high-handedness of your broke-a$$ state government, and 2) feel free to 'talk about' Alabama all you want as we are quite accustomed to putting organic fertilizer where it belongs.

And have a nice day. :)

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Texas is OK, our Governer just told congress they can stick the $585 million in stimulus funds up their @$$ that was aimed at giving people who don't deserve unemployment compensation money for nothing.

I lived in California for 12 years and that state always has had "give away" politics. I believe their intention on USTs holding biodiesel is sound. Their behind the scenes reasons are tax revenue.

Lug_Nut

TDI
mittzlepick said:
It'll be OK as long as you don't use the underground parking area.:rolleyes:

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
Additionally, why in the world would you want to buy biodiesel from someone whose tanks leak?
I don't know how much he was exaggerating, but a friend of mine who used to excavate underground fuel tanks said he never saw one come out of the ground that wasn't leaking. For a long time, there have been talks about going to all "above ground" tanks. Even though most of them would be in underground basements. At least that would allow for a quick visual inspection for leaks. Also, ones that did leak would show up quickly... ever see what can happen when someone starts a gasoline-powered boat without venting the bilge properly? It's usually the last think they forget to do... ever.

grizzlydiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 speed
mittzlepick said:
the problem isnt the biodiesel, its the underground tanks. gasoline, diesel, and oil are all toxic substances. biodiesel isnt special in that regard. But underground tanks because of the "out of sight out of mind" effect, are subjected to corrosion without repair, and they leak, pretty common actually.

So no, you dont have to worry about biodiesel eating through your fuel tank.

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
mittzlepick said:
If you don't feel safe with biodiesel, you can fill our tanks with it.

I'll take that 100 gallons whenever anytime.

BioPassat

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW Passat GL TDI
Welcome to California...NOW GO HOME!

visionlogic said:
J double R said:
so glad i left Californistan when i did...
Thank God you guys left! I just wish more people would leave! :eek:

If California is such a crappy place to live, then why the heck are there STILL so many people living here?

It must be the weather...

Lug_Nut

TDI
BioPassat said:
If California is such a crappy place to live, then why the heck are there STILL so many people living here?
Failures from "back east" that migrated westward couldn't swim?:D

Status
Not open for further replies.