Cabrio/TDI Swap

Bush Hopper

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
97 Eurovan, 2001 Jetta and a few other
so 40 hours at $80 per hour.

Holly smokes, still expensive! Its good you do not have to pay for your own labour.

What is it costing you so far? 3000-4000$?

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
I'm at 26.5 hrs so far!! Should be about 30 when its done. Just have the dashboard/wiring/column and driveshafts to go.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Flying Kasper said:
so 40 hours at $80 per hour.

Holly smokes, still expensive! Its good you do not have to pay for your own labour.

What is it costing you so far? 3000-4000$?
When I think of the money, and my time equivalent, spent on my Cabrio TDI...------> :eek:
But that passes quickly enough -------> :D

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
After taking a week break from the car, I spent some time with it again today.

Everything under the hood is complete now. (Except the covers for the ECU/wiper linkage - waiting on putting the dash in for the two screws that hide under there!)

Here's some pics of the intercooler & bracket. The bracket was missing from my last swap so I obtained a new one.

Dash support is back in. Wiring is about 95% complete. A few "loose" ends to sort out there. Probably another 2-3 hours and I should be good for a road test.

Add 3 hours.

Lug_Nut

TDI
Uberhare said:
Everything under the hood is complete now. (Except the covers for the ECU/wiper linkage - waiting on putting the dash in for the two screws that hide under there!)
THAT might be my issue....
I have a persistent vibration / loose rattle at idle emanating from somewhere in the dash. The noise goes away if I lift up on the steering wheel (lifting the dash apparently), or push the top of the dash towards the windshield. I don't sense any movement as I do these actions, but I'm quite sure that's the problem. Those screws you mention might be loose in mine.
I didn't R&R my dash so if these are loose enough to cause shake, it's not a conversion oversight on my part.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Could be! There are two through bolts that hide under the wiper cowl. One on each side of the car. There is a 3rd one on the driver's side that is part of the dash support.

foxracer1

Veteran Member
TDI
98 A3 TDI 5spd, 86 w/TDI 02A in prog.
Good lookin swap, looks factory! Getting ready to swap an AHU/02A in my 86. The cabrio should get 50mpg easy and be quite peppy. Keep us updated

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
foxracer1 said:
Good lookin swap, looks factory! Getting ready to swap an AHU/02A in my 86. The cabrio should get 50mpg easy and be quite peppy. Keep us updated
That was the idea! I wanted to build a stock looking car that we never got! Here's an almost finished looking engine bay. I haven't had a chance to touch the car in awhile....

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Crazy Hungarian said:
looking good Jason
Thanks!

UPDATE!!!!! I decided tonight I'm tired of pushing the car around the shop...I know the dashboard isn't in yet or gauges, but lets hook up a battery and see what happens? She fired right up! Didn't even hesitate. There was enough fuel in the pump and filter still from the other car. Let it run for a few minutes outside and parked it! Very impressed.

Another FYI - the B3/B4 clutch master is about an inch shorter on the rod. I figured that out the hard way. After fully bleeding it (twice) I had to figure out why the pedal wouldn't return all the way. Took it back out, and compared it to a brand new one (Mk3). Hmmmm. Grrrrr. Add that to the cost of the swap! (And another hour screwing around.)

30.5 Hrs to date.
Dashboard to go!

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Ok, it's been awhile...Took a month off, since there was no real rush to finish the car. I went down to the MTO this morning to get a temp permit and will be going for my first road test tomorrow! It took the guy a good 15 minutes to figure out how to change the registration from gas to diesel...."Never seen that done before!" :confused:

I just have to put the dash board back in, everything is up and working now. Pics of the finished project tomorrow! Anyone with any related swap questions feel free to ask.

steviemac

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
Looks great, this thread was a great read last night when I couldn't sleep. It made me kick myself for not buy an Audi TT a couple of years ago with a blown engine that could have been mine for $19k...

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Yes that would have been me @ the Cambridge meet!

I've always wanted to build a TT TDI. I'd use a PD150 motor from Europe if I did it. TT's are still a bit more than I can afford right now though! As it sits, I've spent less than $1500 on the Cabrio since everything came out of my other car, and is in great shape. (Except the 02A trans that came out of a $200 parts car) I took her for a 130K test drive last night. Everything seems to be running good. With the proper TDI final drive my shudder is gone as well, runs a lot smoother. No fault codes at all. I can feel the extra weight of the Cabrio over the Golf. It is definitely not as quick.

I haven't taken any final pics yet, but will likely do that later today!

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Thanks guys! Yeah, think I'll keep my eye open for some MK3 TDI badges (to be period correct.)

I've got about 350K on it now. So far so good!

Lug_Nut

TDI
http://www.gassavers.org/garage_images/v0w9yhketuxf3wu43sx0.jpg
Still in need of a grille emblem, but the rear is done.:p

Not entirely "correct" as the European 95 Cabrio TDI had their rear "TDI" badge on the left, and
"Golf"
"Cabrio"
on the right.
The blue one shown in the '95 Geneva auto show didn't have the "Golf" on the right, above the "Cabrio", but the "TDI" was still on the left.

Last edited:

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
Awesome project, and great writeup. I'd love a TDI Cabrio, but seeing as VWoA won't sell one here I'd have to do exactly what you did. About 15 years ago I helped a friend swap powertrains from his crunched '85 Daytona turbo into an '85 Daytona roller. We had to convert the roller from auto to 5spd and do a whole bunch of soldering when he cut the main harness (a little further up it had a connector - Doh!) but amazingly everything worked when we were done.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Just got back from a decent drive today! The car is pretty fun, and should be worth every hour I spent working on it. It pulls like train with the RC2/3 chip and PP357 injectors. Smoke level is pretty acceptable, boost control is not. I can hit almost 25 psi anytime I jab the throttle. :confused: The ECU pulls back pretty quick to 15 then back up to 20. I've checked all the control hoses and the wastegate, everything seems to be in proper order. I'll have to either try to adjust the rod or play with a boost valve. I didn't think I should have to do that with RC tune, so I'm not impressed. I'll either have to sort that out pretty soon, or I'm sure I'll need a new turbo! It's nice being able to actually use the chip I bought MONTHS back since the 02A clutch will hold the power. The motor was last in my 94 and the 020 clutch just wasn't up to the task.

So far I've done about 400K kms on just over a half tank. I've been pretty hard on the right pedal though!

By the time I got all the dash back together, trim bits here and there, and rear brakes done for a safety I've easily got 35-40 hours in to it. I lost track near the end. But it's probably closer to 40.

Only other glitch I had was a turn signal wire that was shorted to ground. There is a yellow 4 pin plug that is obviouisly wired differently on the Cabrio than the other MK3's I had this swap in. I haven't even checked the wiring diag. yet for where it goes, but unplugged everything seems to work.

Now all we need is some decent weather so I can put the top down!

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Uberhare said:
I didn't think I should have to do that with RC tune, so I'm not impressed.
I had RC2/3 on my '98 AHU, no boost valve and no spikes over 21psi no matter how hard I punched it - sounds like something not right with your boost control system.

Simon

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Did you ever end up fixing it? I found the wire out of the panel that powers the right front signals, loops back to another 4 pin yellow connector. Not sure where the other end of the connector goes to, but that is where the circuit shorts. I have left that connector unplugged for now, and everything on the car seems to work ok. It may be part of the a/c system since I don't have it hooked up yet. Seems to be.....undocumented in the bently....

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
P2B said:
I had RC2/3 on my '98 AHU, no boost valve and no spikes over 21psi no matter how hard I punched it - sounds like something not right with your boost control system.

Simon
Car operates fine with stock chip and big injectors. I've checked all of the control lines AND tried another control valve. I think it's something in the software.