Broken wheel bolt

luceberg

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat Estate
I just sheared off a front wheel bolt.:mad:

Anyone know the procedure for removing the remains of the bolt?

I cannot work out if the bolt is threaded directly into the hub or if there is a captive stud which can be punched out.

Last edited:
TDI
96 glx variant tdi
Yes, the bolt is threaded directly into the hub going through an open hole in the brake rotor. Use general principles for removing a busted bolt, i.e. drill, heat and try to extract, except you can't use too much heat or you might damage the bearing. As cheap as hubs are, drive around on 3 bolts while a new hub and bearing are ordered and do it that way.

luceberg

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat Estate
Thanks ninedee, that's helpful.:)

I just recently changed the bearing, so I am not keen to do it that way! Off to the shops for a stud extractor tomorrow and maybe give my mate with oxypropane a ring!

BolaB4V

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat tdi wagon, 97 F-150 XLT 4x4, 99.5 Mk4 Jetta VR6/5M
I torqued one off, so I justy drilled it with high speed steel bit and it came right out on the bit, easy. Bought new lug nut at local auto chain store..was in stock by chance.

luceberg

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat Estate
Thanks folks, the stud came out easily after drilling and extracting. Where is the icon for "that's a relief"?

sassyrel

Veteran Member
TDI
passat,96,black-metalic
when the bozo at the tire shop rebalanced my tire--broke stud!!!!!! irratated-----put ground on washer, with hole slightly smaller than the stud dia--the welded washer to stud with mig---he pulled it a bit tooo hard--and was hung a bit--came right out that way tho----