BRM swap into B5.5 Passat Wagon

zzz-man

TDI
B5.5 PD Conversion
I'm in the final stages of this swap. I'm getting a strong crank but no start. Do I need to swap the cluster for this swap to work? I've changed everything except for the cluster. I'm also using a diesel pedal from a 2004 2.0 diesel Passat, is this ok or will I need the pedal from a 2006 Jetta tdi (same car that housed the motor)

Thanks For All the Knowledge

d24tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4V
Give a little more detail about what you are working with.

Is this a BRM swapping into an original TDI car that had a BHW? Or was it a gasser being swapped to diesel? What harness and ECU are you running? ECU tune?

You won't need to swap the cluster (won't be able to anyway from an A5 to B5.5) provided you have the ECU tuned for an immobilizer delete. You have done that presumably?

Do you have OBD communication up and running yet? If so what codes do you see? If it's not starting due to a hard fault somewhere, this will help you find it.

Did it ever run at any point out of the donor car, for example did you get it started as a standalone setup but it won't run now that you have it in the car? Or is this the first attempt?

See cranking RPM in live data when turning over on the starter?

There are a million reasons why it might crank but not start, ranging from simple (something unplugged, ECU not getting power, etc) to complex (swap components not compatible, etc). We need a little more info in order to be able to help you narrow it down. :)

zzz-man

TDI
B5.5 PD Conversion
This is a BRM going into an original gasser. Engine harness and ecu came with motor and everything on the car is original. Repinned/wired to match ecu/motor. The ecu has yet to be tuned, have to get it started 1st but I did get an immobilizer delete done so not having to switch the cluster is great news.

I do also have comms linked.
The main codes that bother me are
P0222
P0122
(Both go pedal related)
P0245
(N75 related)
P0760
(Glow plug related)

There are also codes for EGR/o2 sensors I've deleted both of these from the car. Turbo codes (no longer electronic). I haven't been too worried about those. Didn't think they would linked to the starting of the car.

This would be the 1st attempt. I have rebuilt the whole motor, upgraded the injectors, swapped the turbo to a vacuum instead of electronic. Had everything machined and cleaned.

Ah I didn't even think to check live data for rpm read out. I will definitely get bavk with you on this. Thanks for that info.

I did check for power at the glow plug module, all the fuses and N75 valve. The N75 valve gets power but as soon as I connect it power is lost. Sent straight power to the valve to check it was still good, this also checks out. The glow plug has 3 power sources that I've found and there is also power going into the injector harness at the motor plug. I haven't had time to do much else.

I am definitely hoping it is something simple. I'm ready to hear her run lime she should. Thanks man. Really do appreciate all the info here.

d24tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4V
Wrong accelerator pedal shouldn't prevent it from starting though, at least not if it is anything like the older motors. They start no problem and just hold a high idle if there's a TPS fault. I don't know if the newer EDC16 and later models are different but I would expect not.

The OEM wants the engine to be able to run and at least limp the car out of danger, even if there's a total failure of the TPS, so ability to start no matter what the pedal's doing is part of the deal, in fact IIRC it might even be a regulatory requirement.

You said you had the motor apart for overhaul -- assuming that means you had the rear main seal area apart? BRMs use the funky CKP sensor integrated into the rear main seal housing, I seem to remember something about needing a specific indexing method when reinstalling otherwise motor won't start, special process and maybe special tool also. Any chance you could have some issue there, damage during install and/or indexed wrong?

Couple of threads from a quick search, see if any of this sounds familiar:

Install procedure instructions without the factory tool: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/pd-rear-main-seal-install-no-expensive-tool.474808/

Procedure with the factory tool: https://www.myturbodiesel.com/d2/1000q/a5/rear-main-seal-vw-audi-mk5-t10134.htm

zzz-man

TDI
B5.5 PD Conversion
I think it might be the CKP sensor. I had no idea this had to be done. I will have to check this over the next couple days. Thanks for the Knowledge, I'll keep an update

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Given the absence of codes, it may not be an issue. But, if you are suspecting CKP sensor issues & do not have a good history/knowledge of the donor BRM harness, it might be worth the time & peace of mind to check for harness chafe. Typically, the worst chafe is at the clamp point where the harness leaves the frame & goes to the engine as situated in a BRM/Mk5 chassis. Search in the MK5 forum will get you info & photos. Good luck with it.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I'd be curious how this will work out, as the A5 platform (and thus the BRM engine) is a VERY different animal than the much older B5 platform. I don't even think the ECUs work on the same type of communication, do they? I thought the A5 cars were using a faster baud rate on the CAN bus. Although you evidently have communication with the ECU, so perhaps not.

But as stated above, the CKP sensor ring on the engine must be installed with a specific fixture.

zzz-man

TDI
B5.5 PD Conversion
I haven't had much time to do my diagnostic work. I've been doing my reading and will have a chance tomorrow to check everything we've discussed. The harness is good. Took it iut of another car and when doing the repinning for the ecu checked to make sure there were no breaks.

I'll do research on the communications of the 2 cars.

As always thanks for the info.

zzz-man

TDI
B5.5 PD Conversion
I finally was able to get some work done on the Passat. Replaced the high pressure pump because it was leaking pretty bad. Also redid the rear main seal because it was quite a bit off from tdc. I haven't had a chance to start it yet though. At the moment I am looking for a proper clutch for this particular set up. Thanks for all the help so far gents!