brake life

larrydk

Veteran Member
TDI
Sportwagen
I have a 2015 GSW 6M with just about 80k on the odometer (miles)....I check the brakes every 6k when rotating the tires and they just don't seem to be wearing down (it's a good thing)....wondering what kind of brake life those with manual trans are getting?

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I have a 2015 GSW 6M with just about 80k on the odometer (miles)....I check the brakes every 6k when rotating the tires and they just don't seem to be wearing down (it's a good thing)....wondering what kind of brake life those with manual trans are getting?
I have an automatic with 28K on it and the brakes are still nearly new, VW says 10 out of 12 on the inspection chart. The dealer told me people see 80-100K on these car's brakes but when I heard that I was skeptical.....maybe it's true. I would bet that most people who drive a TDI are very conscious of waste and probably drive accordingly as opposed to the people you see racing up to red lights and playing hop scotch in the lanes.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Many vw models go a long time. Usually 100k on rears and up to 200k on the fronts. Obviously driving habits can change that greatly either way.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
My '09 JSW was sold back to VW at about 115k miles. Brakes F&R were both doing fine. Probably the best brakes on any car I had even driven.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Brake life is FAR too variable to define. Largely depends on how you drive. But as a general rule, most newer FWD VAG models have very long lived brakes.

If you drive mostly highway, and are not hard on brakes in general (like I am), they last "indefinitely" and I usually end up having to take them apart to clean and lube the pad perches, which in some cases I end up just putting new brakes on anyway. Our B5 TDI got all new brakes at 200k miles, the rears were pretty much worn out, the fronts had maybe 50% remaining.

I have customers with over 300k miles on the original fronts.

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
On my 2010, after 211,000 miles I had to change the front brakes and rotors, however surprisingly the rear brakes are still with original pads/rotors. If it weren't the stop and go southern CA traffic, I think the brakes would have lasted even longer.
On the other hand, our 2015 rav4's brake pads had only lasted 60K before they were replaced!!

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Vw really has thier stuff together on chassis items and finally the DSG isnt hard on Mech units. To bad about the DG they really seem to be getting items perfected. Guess tjats usually when the engineers like to change things up. Oh well.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Vw really has thier stuff together on chassis items and finally the DSG isnt hard on Mech units. To bad about the DG they really seem to be getting items perfected. Guess tjats usually when the engineers like to change things up. Oh well.
What?

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Our '01 Golf is still on the original brakes but only 150K miles on the clock. As oilhammer said, I've cleaned everything up a couple of times...

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I think I got about 100k miles on my rear pads, and 130k on the front pads. Could have gone further but I swapped them out before they gouged the rotors. I was quite impressed with that duration.

jtree

TDI
2016 sportwagen TDI SE
The first set of pads on my car only lasted 10,000 miles. Yikes.

I daily drive over a 10,000 ft pass, use sticky 235/18 tires. My commute is almost like a trackday..