Bleed Air from Heater Core

gmar8099

TDI
2005 VW Passat TDI GLS Wagon
Since I did a water pump job on my B5 Passat Wagon, I have been unable to bleed all the air from the heater core. I know the one heater hose has a bleed hole, and I have repeatedly loosened the hose and run the engine at various temperatures and speeds in an attempt to get the air pocket out.

But it still gurgles on acceleration.

Is there a specific procedure to follow? Any ideas what I could do to get that air out?

Gerald

CantWrite

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon (BHW/5-spd conv, 03T). I keep in touch with the (2) ALH's I sold.
Does it gurgle on every acceleration, or just on the first few cold ones....?

Prior to installing my Frost Heater, I had drained some coolant in other repairs. I had a similar issue, only when the engine was cooler. I filled the "overflow" tank to the max, and that took care of it through driving and keeping it at the max.

Since I installed the Frost Heater, I am going through the same issue and have since kept it at the max level. And hopefully, the gurgles will subside soon.

Sorry, I do not have better advice, but fill the overflow to the max and keep driving it. I did not buy the Bentley manual here in the USA cause it does not cover the BHW.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Take the coolant tank out of the bracket. Raise it up as high as you can without stretching the hoses. That usually works for me.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
Massage the big coolant pipes with your hands as it's running. Has worked for me on other cars... Worth a try, easy to do. Squeeze and release etc.

CantWrite

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon (BHW/5-spd conv, 03T). I keep in touch with the (2) ALH's I sold.
Just as an update, I noticed last week that my car no longer gurgles. So it took a LONG time, but having the overflow at max fill and driving did do the trick for me.

Make note that when my car starts, it’s shortest drive is 12 miles @ 50 mph highway.