Bike rack

higgledy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI (buyback)
I am going to buy a roof bike rack for my '14 VW Golf 5-door. Does anyone know how for-mounted bikes I can get on the VW-branded roof rails? Thanks

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
I am going to buy a roof bike rack for my '14 VW Golf 5-door. Does anyone know how for-mounted bikes I can get on the VW-branded roof rails? Thanks
follow the instructions for the bike rack.

it will depend on the bike rack. Some thule may require an "Xdapt" kit for VW bars (or the Thule Aerobars, Yakima, see instructions for Whispbar)

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I would go with hitch type. It's easier to use then lifting you bike on the roof.

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 4dr Golf TDI 6-speed manual
Can't go wrong with Thule or Yak. I have bits and pieces of both brands that I mix and match and they are great.

If you plan on carrying only bikes I would go hitch mount no question. I've carried bikes both ways and hitch mount is far superior IMO. Loading the bikes is much quicker/easier, there is no risk of dropping the bike on the roof, almost zero mpg loss, and the bike mount itself is quicker to put on and take off.

However, if you plan on carrying skis, kayak, cargo box...etc then just go with a roof rack from the start. Any of the top brands will have something to fit the golf.

Good luck!

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the possibility of forgetting that the bike is on the roof and pulling into the garage, with unpleasant results. Hey, it happens. Work a long day, go for a ride after work, run a couple of errands on the way home, and forget the bike is up there. Been there, done that.

However, a bike hanging off the back bumper of a JSW in the rain is getting rinsed with the crap that winds up on the back of the car. Hey, it happens.

I prefer my fork-mount roof rack, where nothing touches any part of the bike but the front fork dropout and the rear wheel. But to each his/her own.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the possibility of forgetting that the bike is on the roof and pulling into the garage, with unpleasant results. Hey, it happens. Work a long day, go for a ride after work, run a couple of errands on the way home, and forget the bike is up there. Been there, done that.

However, a bike hanging off the back bumper of a JSW in the rain is getting rinsed with the crap that winds up on the back of the car. Hey, it happens.
Remembering you have a bike on the roof is important, no question.

The crap that winds up on the bike is why I use a hitch rack in the warmer months and switch to a roof rack for winter. If the bike being covered in crap is a concern, there are chain/gear covers and/or whole bike covers that are inexpensive.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
x2, been there. I now use a Saris rack I picked up for $40 when transporting more than one bike, but prefer to have the bike worth nearly as much as my car stored inside my car.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
x2, been there. I now use a Saris rack I picked up for $40 when transporting more than one bike, but prefer to have the bike worth nearly as much as my car stored inside my car.
My bike is worth way more than my car, and with two of them on there it's more than double. One of my bicycle tires costs more than my car tires as well.

Pathetic, isn't it.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I note a lot of people with bikes on a rack, either on top or on back, with plenty of room to put the bike INSIDE the car. Particularly with JSWs, since I drive one, but also with Golfs. I know you can fit a 60 cm road bike with the front tire removed in the back of a Golf. No MPG hit, no grime on the bike, and you're not advertising that you're going on a ride & will be parking your empty car at a trailhead.

higgledy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI (buyback)
I would go with hitch type. It's easier to use then lifting you bike on the roof.
I like the hitch rack better too. In fact, I own a really nice Thule hitch rack that I use on the minivan. I do not like the look of a hitch on the Golf. Plus, a hitch will limit ground clearance on a car that already sits low to the ground. This is important because I have a steep driveway, I don't want to scrape the road every time I come home or leave.

higgledy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI (buyback)
I note a lot of people with bikes on a rack, either on top or on back, with plenty of room to put the bike INSIDE the car. Particularly with JSWs, since I drive one, but also with Golfs. I know you can fit a 60 cm road bike with the front tire removed in the back of a Golf. No MPG hit, no grime on the bike, and you're not advertising that you're going on a ride & will be parking your empty car at a trailhead.
I've done that too. But I can only get one bike in my hatch without risk of scratching the bike or my interior.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
The problem I have is not grime on the bike, but getting bike grime on the inside of the car. Chain lube will never come out of an interior, not to mention black marks from the tires when/if the bike shifts in transit. With 2 bikes there is an increased risk of unintended derailleur adjustment or bike contact.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
The problem I have is not grime on the bike, but getting bike grime on the inside of the car. Chain lube will never come out of an interior, not to mention black marks from the tires when/if the bike shifts in transit. With 2 bikes there is an increased risk of unintended derailleur adjustment or bike contact.
there's an easy solution. moving blankets used to protect furniture.

If you're getting chain tatts, clean your clean, and after lubing, wipe the chain down, since the lube works in the nooks and crannies, not the exterior.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Moving blankets would work. But so does a bike rack.

I have 6 bikes and bike often, so you'll have to show me how to clean a chain so it doesn't have anything on the outside that can stain. Negating the mountain, fat, and cyclocross bikes of course, because mud is just a way of life for those.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Moving blankets would work. But so does a bike rack.

I have 6 bikes and bike often, so you'll have to show me how to clean a chain so it doesn't have anything on the outside that can stain. Negating the mountain, fat, and cyclocross bikes of course, because mud is just a way of life for those.
remove chain from bike.

if you don't have a KMC missing link or equivalent... buy them.

soak chain in cleaner (I use http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-128-oz-Citrus-Heavy-Duty-Degreaser-ZUCIT128/100676344 , in a old glass pasta sauce jar), agitate to work the dirt out.

rinse a few times.

relube each link/roller with lube of your choice.

let it soak for an hour.

wipe clean.

reinstall.

wipe clean.

after a ride (assuming you're using a wet lube), relube, let it soak, then wipe the chain clean, then stow your bike.

it's not rocket science.

riding your bike in muddy conditions... other than cyclocross, the local "ORBA" (Off-Road Biking Association), usually frowns on that, as it really tears up the trails the volunteers maintains.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Not to get too OT, but 'wipe clean' is a misnomer. Been there, done that. The chain lube comes out of the rollers and re-coats the chain. The only chain lube that doesn't get everywhere is a chain wax, which dries, but it doesn't work for crap up here because it's a dry lube.

I also use an ultrasonic cleaner to get my chains clean. Really clean. On some I'll ultrasonic the lube into them, then hang for a few days and keep wiping off the excess, but it's only for the road bikes with tight tolerance (and expensive) chains.

Riding and living with mud in Maine is a way of life. It is impossible NOT to get muddy in the woods. We even have a season for it, called "Mud season". We avoid riding the trails in mud season due to damage but there is mud all year due to the topography. many of the trails have just opened this week and more are still closed pending dryer conditions.

I am a trail volunteer and have my own bike shop, so I'm all set on the rocket science.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Not to get too OT, but 'wipe clean' is a misnomer. Been there, done that. The chain lube comes out of the rollers and re-coats the chain. The only chain lube that doesn't get everywhere is a chain wax, which dries, but it doesn't work for crap up here because it's a dry lube.
You must of missed the part about chain maintenance after the ride..

when you're driving with the bike in the car, there isn't enough centrifugal force to force the lube out, like you would when pedaling.

pgoes

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat wagon, 2004.5, Stonehenge gray
Here in California some folks with hitch racks have gotten tickets because the rack obscures the rear license plate, even tho there were no bike on the rack.
Just sayin'....

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Here in California some folks with hitch racks have gotten tickets because the rack obscures the rear license plate, even tho there were no bike on the rack.
Just sayin'....

I got tailed by police for that reason before with bikes mounted on the hitch rack, but.... Never got pulled over.

Sent from my iPhone. There may be horrible grammar and misspelling involved

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
You'd have to have a pretty weird hitch rack for it to obscure the plate on either my mk3 or our Mk4. My strap on rack on the other hand rested directly on the plate.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
You'd have to have a pretty weird hitch rack for it to obscure the plate on either my mk3 or our Mk4. My strap on rack on the other hand rested directly on the plate.

It's normal for a hitch rack to block the license plate.

A 1upusa single rack will not.

Here's my cheap Yakima rack

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
I have a platform style rack myself, I guess that is what I was thinking of.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
1up before someone did a hit and run in it

I don't have a pic of my old Yakima Holdup

higgledy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI (buyback)
@Abacus When is Mud Season in Maine? Do you get many tourist? :D

I also use an ultrasonic cleaner to get my chains clean. Really clean. On some I'll ultrasonic the lube into them, then hang for a few days and keep wiping off the excess, but it's only for the road bikes with tight tolerance (and expensive) chains.

Riding and living with mud in Maine is a way of life. It is impossible NOT to get muddy in the woods. We even have a season for it, called "Mud season". We avoid riding the trails in mud season due to damage but there is mud all year due to the topography. many of the trails have just opened this week and more are still closed pending dryer conditions.

I am a trail volunteer and have my own bike shop, so I'm all set on the rocket science.

Rustydog

TDI
2014 JSW TDI
I use the a Whispbar S53 system on my JSW 2014. Its is quiet and a very good looking system. With a slight mod was able to get it to work with my pano roof.
Racks are noisy at highway speeds. So pay attention to the shape.
Oh yes, the dreaded garage crunch. Did that once years ago with my GTI. Now I take the remote and pack it in my gear bag when I load the bike. Buddies have different solutions: one has a large mirror in the garage (home gym) and another puts a beach chair in the middle of the garage.

Ghostrider

TDI
2012 JSW TDI
I like the hitch rack better too. In fact, I own a really nice Thule hitch rack that I use on the minivan. I do not like the look of a hitch on the Golf. Plus, a hitch will limit ground clearance on a car that already sits low to the ground. This is important because I have a steep driveway, I don't want to scrape the road every time I come home or leave.
The Westfalia hitch loses NO ground clearance. PF Jones also has suitable bike racks.

Link to detailed hitch install with pics:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=290710

sprinks

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta tdi (gone); now mk7 gti
The saris bones are nice, but i quickly had to switch when i saw what the rubber feet did to the paint. Now i'm with a thule 4-bike setup on a curt hitch. works nice enough.