Bhw/Alh hybrid build

Codman8383

TDI
Alh
What is involved in swapping a bhw crank into a Alh?
I'm currently building a 2l Alh and trying to push close to 300hp. Using a pd crank is a no brainer. But does the stock o2j bolt up. And does the stock Alh timing belt sprocket bolt up the the bwh crank?
Side note. Who's got that kind of power in a Alh. And are you running a girdle.
Any and all information is greatly appreciated

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I looked into this once. Decided ultimately not to do it. I'll summarize it for ya.
You will need to drill/tap a timing belt roller for the ALH belt
Flywheel I'm 99% sure is the same hole pattern.
You WILL have to move an ALH tone wheel to the BHW crank. It bolts up.

Im definitely not running anywhere close to 300hp in my alh, but to get that kind of power you'd need a big turbo, big nozzles, possibly hybrid 12mm pump, girdle wouldn't be a bad idea, and port/polish head, maybe double valve stem springs.

97caron

Veteran Member
TDI
NB
Best option is BHW short block. Mains and rods are larger jornal. Use ALH head and BHW head gasket. Swap crank trigger on back of crank to ALH. Don't waste your time on an O2J . Get an 02M and use 02Q shift forks.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
There is a write up with this topic from jimbote here on the Club.

At that power level, I suspect you won't get much benefit from the extra 5% displacement. Try an ARL long block, with Race 783 tips on BEW injector bodies...along with a big turbo and some headwork. The ARL has some nice durability upgrades over the BHW...
cheers,
Douglas

97caron

Veteran Member
TDI
NB
OP is using VE components. BHW shortblocks are plentiful here and inexpensive. Installing ALH head is simple.

Codman8383

TDI
Alh
OP is using VE components. BHW shortblocks are plentiful here and inexpensive. Installing ALH head is simple.
Correct. But I'm sticking to the Alh block. I got in touch with frank06. Once my block is back from the machine shop. It be getting a bhw crank.
As for the pistons. I was advised by Frank, crafter's are the way to go. For my goals

Codman8383

TDI
Alh
There is a write up with this topic from jimbote here on the Club.

At that power level, I suspect you won't get much benefit from the extra 5% displacement. Try an ARL long block, with Race 783 tips on BEW injector bodies...along with a big turbo and some headwork. The ARL has some nice durability upgrades over the BHW...
cheers,
Douglas
I'm going with crafter's for the strength, fuel bowl and lower rings. Arl's never made it here to Canada unfortunately.

Codman8383

TDI
Alh
Best option is BHW short block. Mains and rods are larger jornal. Use ALH head and BHW head gasket. Swap crank trigger on back of crank to ALH. Don't waste your time on an O2J . Get an 02M and use 02Q shift forks.
I'd love to run a 6 speed. But it's not viable where I live. Starters and axles arnt available in North America. And it costs way to much to ship them.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
I'd love to run a 6 speed. But it's not viable where I live. Starters and axles arnt available in North America. And it costs way to much to ship them.
Starters and axles are in fact available in NA...I've bought several over the years.

Codman8383

TDI
Alh
Starters and axles are in fact available in NA...I've bought several over the years.
I called all of my local part stores. The only place that had axles were a local drivetrain place that could make some. I could order them for a gas car. But not worth the risk. As for starters. I searched high and low and couldn't find anything for tdis. Not even a rebuild kit. And was the main reason I haven't done a 6 speed swap

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I called all of my local part stores. The only place that had axles were a local drivetrain place that could make some. I could order them for a gas car. But not worth the risk. As for starters. I searched high and low and couldn't find anything for tdis. Not even a rebuild kit. And was the main reason I haven't done a 6 speed swap
starter is easily sourced from a common rail 6 speed manual. It's what i run on my 05' golf 02M. You can swap the solenoid from any mkiv starter to keep your factory connector or you can splice in the later style connector. As for axles any mk4 6 speed axle will work on the tdi 02M.