BEW 5V or 7V Glow Plugs Investigation - 11V ALH Installed

T-RONE

TDI
06 Golf TDI
Hello Everyone,

Long time TDI enthusiest and owner of a new to me 2006 Golf TDI. With the awesome forum member threads and vendors I have been able to sort out many details to make this car my new daily driver. However, my glow plugs have eluded me and I am hopeful the knowledgeable members can provide some assistance.

I purchased this car out of province in British Columbia from a dealership in March and it did not come with a documented history other than the PPI I had done by a trusted vendor. The car started and ran great in BC but after settling in Alberta where the temperatures were much colder I started to experience hard starts on cold mornings. Car starts every time, stumbles a bit, puffs out some white smoke and then smooths out after 8 seconds.

After reviewing the never ending threads on the BEW glow plugs fiasco I started with pulling my glow plugs to see if I had the 5V or 7V plugs installed. To my supprise the previous owner installed BERU 0 100 226 227 11V ALH glow plugs. The cold start issue experienced started to make sense and I know ALH plugs do not belong in a BEW, although they do work for some members.

Next I ran a VCDS scan to see what software version the car had and would then use the TSB's posted on the forum to figure out which glow plugs I needed.

Software: 038 997 016 Q
Version: R4 1.9L EDC G000SG 4999

The middle three digits '997' told me I had an update but the 'Q' and 4449 did not match up to the TSB's. I was hoping for an L / 1386 (5V) or R / 0282 (7V) version. Being the weekend I opted to do a little more investigation rather than call a VW dealership to see what recalls had been preformed on the car.

I proceeded to remove the cowl hopeful the glow plug control module might shed some light. I recall some members had a 'D' designation module installed with 7V plugs.

Control Module: Bosch 038 907 281 C

While I was in there I pulled the ECU. My thought is that the car might have been tuned and the tuner wrote something on the ECU. Although the car does not run like has a tune, it feels stock. To my surprise the ECU had written on it with a paint pen '2006 VW Jetta Wagon'. So at some point in time the ECU was replaced but explained why the CARFAX showed a mileage discrepancy - 70k less than odometer. So the previous owner installed the hole trinity to get the car up and running - ECU, cluster, and keys.

Lastly, I checked voltage at the harness although I understand due to pulse with modulation of BEW glow plugs this test may not be accurate. At each terminal it measured: 12.4V (1second) / 11.6V (1second) / and then settled at 5.4V.

I also called some local independents but that did not lead anywhere closer to determining the correct plugs to use. There also appears to be a thread by MoGolf with software versions but it appears to be MIA.

So just wanted to share in hopes someone might be able to provide some guidence on next steps. I am hoping to avoid refreshing the ECU.

Thanks and I look forward to be a participating member of this community.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Honestly, if I were you, I would have a tuner put the 7v glow mapping in, and get the updated NGK 7v plugs (which are NOT the same as the BRM engines uses). I'd also have the tuner do some tweaks, a lambda sensor blitz for one, and probably a Stage 1 type bump in power just because the car runs so much better that way. Worth the cost and effort.

The 5v mapping, which I think is what you have, is notoriously awful for cold starts, I can only imagine how bad it would be with the wrong plugs in it.

T-RONE

TDI
06 Golf TDI
Thanks for your feedback oilhammer! I was hoping you'd chime in, your previous threads and contributions on BEW glow plugs got me as far as I did.

I will follow your advice. Much appreciated.