Automatic injectors in my manual mk4 alh.

spacekup

TDI
2001 mk4 Jetta TDI
Hey y'all, big question here, recently has bought a mk4 alh 5 apeed manual, digging into it. Was told there was bigger injectors, smoked like there was but had a small lope, I did not like. Would idle about 200 higher then stock. But lope. Pulled the injectors to find out I have STOCK AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION INJECTORS in my manual... They are different sizes come to find out from factory. We cleaned the ever living piss out of those and put them back in (not knowing they were for a automatic yet" and it runs better but still lopes every now and then but not nearly as much. Had I been driving it like this. My question to y'all is did I internally damage my alh starving it for fual? It ran okay never stalled on me. Never acted funny just loped.. got .216 nozzles on the way. Thank you in advance. I'm learning. First tdi

Last edited:

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
My question to y'all is did I internally damage my alh starving it for fual?
A diesel can't run "lean" like a gas engine, it either has enough fuel to run or it doesn't. And considering those injectors come in the exact same engine with an auto and run just fine, I can't see how that would be a problem.
Maybe run a can of Diesel Purge through the pump:

Note: That's an older thread, the brand is LiquiMoly now and the cans look different, but process is the same.

spacekup

TDI
2001 mk4 Jetta TDI
A diesel can't run "lean" like a gas engine, it either has enough fuel to run or it doesn't. And considering those injectors come in the exact same engine with an auto and run just fine, I can't see how that would be a problem.
Maybe run a can of Diesel Purge through the pump:

Note: That's an older thread, the brand is LiquiMoly now and the cans look different, but process is the same.
A moment ago
They were extremely dirty. We cleaned them and let them soak for two days with the LQ you are saying and it made massive difference, but I think they still have to much crap in them to run properly. So you are probably right. It should run fine, with those injectors if new. But since they are the smallest ones you can get on the market. They are too far gone and I need other ones. It was giving it just enough fual to run I think. But didn't like it. Definitely not to full potential on power lol

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Post a video of the "lope" if you put those injectors back in there. A lope at idle can be caused by rich IQ settings and/or evry mod if your car has that.

Just simply throwing a set of stock auto injectors in a manual trans ALH won't cause a lope. The difference is very slight. I'm not even sure you can notice a true power difference on the butt dyno without optimizing them to the pump or tune.

Last edited:

spacekup

TDI
2001 mk4 Jetta TDI
Post a video of the "lope" if you put those injectors back in there. A lope at idle can be caused by rich IQ settings and/or evry mod if your car has that.

Just simply throwing a set of stock auto injectors in a manual trans ALH won't cause a lope. The difference is very slight. I'm not even sure you can notice a true power difference on the butt dyno without optimizing them to the pump or tune.

I don't know how it won't let me. And your right it won't, they were already in there for god knows how long before I bought the car. They a absolutely disgusting. And are clogged. Witch is causing my lope. And my IQ is probably all ****ed up because of it.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Easiest to make a Youtube video and upload the link.

What color is your smoke? is it at idle, driving, under acceleration?

Are you getting any codes?
Do you have vcds?

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
with running .158 nozzles on the 10mm/.185 manual tune, the tune isn't going to perform the same as stock of course. IQ numbers are going to be off, although by fiddling with hot idle "IQ" you can fudge things to get it a little more "right", but IQ/timing/boost maps are still all going to be off a bit

spacekup

TDI
2001 mk4 Jetta TDI
Yes once Injectors come in and get put in. Will be getting everything back to normal with the IQ. And timing and ****. Got a small boost leak I gotta attend to then tune.

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
Are you sure the cars a manual from the factory? Lots of autos were swapped. Including my 01, which I didn't know was originally an automatic when I bought it. So the injectors just may as well be the set it came with.

spacekup

TDI
2001 mk4 Jetta TDI
Yes at this point I'm sure this is what happened, has 11mm pump also. Lol I didn't know it was auto when I bought it. But only bought it 5 months ago.

spacekup

TDI
2001 mk4 Jetta TDI

Do you have vcds?

Do you have vcds?
Only at idle, if I turn my ac on. It goes away for the most part lol, smoke is black. As **** and quite a bit of it. Have a 11mm pump with the smallest Injectors 😂😂 obviously white at idle tell warmed up. Normal ****. I don't have vcds but know a few places that do and can help me adjust it once I figured out all this bullsheeet

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
If you look under the cowl and have a second ecu plug, you can pretty much confirm it was an auto at one time. I didn't realize mine was auto till I noticed that extra plug and asked about it. those little injectors put out every bit of fuel the slightly larger manual injectors did with the 10mm pump. It's all proportional when you're talking about stock vs stock.